Anyone else notice this about Windows XP?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to think that when a computer freezes, it was doomed until I pressed the switch to turn it off. I recently tested out freezes, and it never actually fully freezed. As in, it would unfreeze, even if it took a few minutes to do so. So now I think my CPU can never actually "freeze". But is this completely true? Im not an expert but know the basics.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Not completely true, sometimes you have a runaway process that is stuck in a loop and using 100% CPU.

Example?

The other day at work one of my programs locked up. I was working in another program and didn't want to reboot just quite yet. In the 10 minutes or so I worked before rebooting I must have really cooked the CPU, the fans in the machien went from quiet to wind-tunnel, when I turned the machine off it wouldn't turn back on! Power light just blinked orange, think I over heated it, so I had to move to another machine.

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
Not completely true, sometimes you have a runaway process that is stuck in a loop and using 100% CPU.

Example?

The other day at work one of my programs locked up. I was working in another program and didn't want to reboot just quite yet. In the 10 minutes or so I worked before rebooting I must have really cooked the CPU, the fans in the machien went from quiet to wind-tunnel, when I turned the machine off it wouldn't turn back on! Power light just blinked orange, think I over heated it, so I had to move to another machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saaby,

I have been in the business for over 30 years now; started on mainframes using BAL and have been on PCs for about 15 of those years. So, I know about run-away loops too, but I have never seen that effect before. I wonder if it was glowing red? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Chuck

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the cooling system can't handle the CPU when at 100%, it ain't much of a cooling system. Maybe it needs the dust blown out, or maybe the fan has seen better days.

When I burn a movie on a DVD my CPU is at 100% for an hour at a time. No problem though. I can hear the fan, but it's not really loud. I design my computers to be quiet.

As has been mentioned earlier, the CPU seldom locks up. It gets stuck in a loop and run 100%. If the loop is in a system state program, like a driver, the result is the same though.

I rig my computers up so I can see the CPU activity at all times, independent of the OS or software. I find it interesting.

For instance, when you enter the BIOS, the CPU will run at 100%, waiting for a key press. I guess simpler is better in a BIOS.

Lot's of stupidly written programs will run the CPU at 100%. If I foolishly try to look at a .pdf file from my browser without downloading it, Adobe Reader will often run at 100% while it's downloading the file.

When you're installing a multi-disc Linux and it's waiting for you to insert the second disc, guess what? CPU 100%. Again, maybe simpler is better. Anyway it's harmless. The list is endless.

Running the CPU at 100% doesn't usually preclude you from running other programs. If all the system stuff is okay, the operating system will give each program it's time slice.

Another thing about frozen computers. Sometimes it's just the "console" that's frozen. That is the monitor is black and the mouse and keyboard have no effect. The OS can be running fine however. This has been happening to me lately when I totally log off from one account when there is another account active. I think it is a problem with the video drivers, but I'm not sure. As I have another computer on the LAN, I can log in from there and shutdown the "frozen" computer.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've been using computers since before the Timex Sinclair 1000 came out in the early-1980s, and I've never encountered that effect. CPUs can engage in an endless loop that uses almost 100% of processor time, but I've never encountered an application that actually halted the CPU unless the application itself was corrupted and the CPU attempted to excute invalid instructions.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, never seen it happen on a PC. 6502 microcontroller, yes...but that's my dodgy assembly language telling it to divide by zero that's causing the problem there!

And that thing about the BIOS running the CPU at 100%, that has finally answered the question of why it always seems to be running rather warm when I'm in there (not HOT, just warmer than I'd expect).