visiting L.A.- need suggestions for things to see

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in things like car museums, beaches with interesting people, movie-related things, scenic roads into the hills, etc. I like to see local favorites and not touristy things.

Probably won't go to Disneyland, won't take tours of movie stars homes, things like that.

AlanS

Newly Enlightened
Well, the Petersen Automotive Museum should probably be on your don't miss list; Venice Beach has an endless supply of "interesting people", especially on weekends; though touristy, you might enjoy the Universal Studios tour; there are countless opportunities for walks in the Santa Monica, San Gabriel and Santa Susana mountain ranges and the Hollywood Hills, just to name a few...

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: visiting L.A.- need suggestions for things to

I was in LA a couple of years ago. There was a knife store downtown that had way up on a hang tag some old dark brown mini mags. Can't say he still has them or if he is still is there. Kind of almost like a small cramped dusty friendly old hardware store atmosphere.

The Museum of modern art was a nice stop. Union Station on the subway line was a nice stop. There is a small shops area nearby.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Huntington Library. Big estate of a turn of the century billionaire which he bequeathed to be a museum and very impressive botanical garden. World class library of unique books, nice art museum in the mansion. Altogether worthwhile. You can get a British high tea (all you can eat little sandwiches) there for $15. some days.

Getty museum if you like fancy architecture. Have fun.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened

You might want to visit the new Cathedral Of Our Lady of the Angels. Even if you don't follow the religion it is really a piece of work.

If you'd like to get a little nostaligiac I suggest visitng 'Galcos'. My Dad's taken me a few times. They have every old soda imaginable in glass bottles. They also have really great sandwiches and old hard to find candies.
Galcos Webpage

If you by any chance stop by Galcos you can visit the LAPD Museum.

You can go to the Rose Garden, California Science Center, or the Griffith Park Observatory - on top of a hill, very nice view of Los Angeles...it' not smog, it's the marine layer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you want to eat look for a local Tommy's or In'N'Out.

Or...you could bring all your lights and stop by my house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GalvanickLucifer

Newly Enlightened

Isn't the Winchester House out there - San Jose I think. Built by the guy who made the Winchester rifle, then added onto extensively by his widow because she was afraid the ghosts of people killed by the rifle were haunting her or somthing like that. Has all kinds of secret passages, doors and stairways to nowhere, etc. Might be a little touristy though.

Zigzago

Enlightened

I enjoyed walking along Venice Beach. Lots of exhibitionist characters to look at, plus alot of scenes from movies and TV shows are shot there.

joecandlepower

Newly Enlightened

The J.Paul Getty Museum, although you may need to make reservations ahead of time. I agree on Peterson's. Venice Beach is a must for all the "side shows" as mentioned earlier. Universal Studios is a nice tour, but the local movie sites are too numerous to mention. Driving along the coast into Orange county is nice as is driving along the coast nort of LA.

If you like drag racing cars there is a small but very good NHRA museum in Pomona which is part of the LA County Fair facilty called the Fairplex.
We also have an Aquarium Of The Pacific down in Long Beach and if you want you can see and tour the Queen Mary ship too while there. While in that area you will be driving on the road that makes up the Long beach Grand Prix.
You can take a boat out to Catalina Island from that area too.

I hope you have fun out here. just as a warning you may want to plan around our numerous traffic problems like staying off the 405.
But we make up for it by having some of the most beautiful woman around.
Btw, we actually have mountains and deserts here to explore too.
Also if you have any interest in seeing Palm Springs, its about 89 miles from LA County. Its a "different kinda place".
You could take the tram up the mountain there and see a breath taking view.
have fun.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*

RE Winchester House - Yep San Jose area, but I wouldn't call that the LA area - not by a LOT of miles

cognitivefun

Enlightened

driving along Mulholland might suit you. You can take the 405 and exit and drive along Mulholland either direction and enjoy the views of the Valley and one of LA's most famous streets.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, Pelican is in Torrance and SureFire is in Fountain Valley...however I don't think they have tours...