Q : How to expel a DOG from bike ?

L

LITEmania

Sometimes a DOG is following me when I am riding on bike. I think this is dangerous for the DOGGY. Any idea ?

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe stop and wait a minute, if he isn't dangerous. He'll probably loose interest after a while and wander home.

Greta

Flashaholic
Carry a spray bottle of water or a small squirt gun. Squirt him/her in the face. Do NOT use anything but water!!! Some recommend using ammonia or some other noxious liquid that will annoy them and/or stop them short in order to get it off of themselves... however, you can do harm to the animal if you inadvertantly hit them in the eye. Water should do it.

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened
Take your own dog out with you.My German Shepherds love to
"Meet and greet" any other dogs they perceive to be a threat to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Keep your bearings oiled, your bike is probably emitting high frequency squeeks that you can't hear but drives dogs insane /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

"that was a public information statement from the K9 branch of the noise abatemenet society"

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
We used to have a neighbor with a small dog. Their dog used to yap at me all the time in the back yard and would sometimes even do a mock charge.

One day I was petting a large dalmation who was at the other neighbor's fence. When I came back to my yard, that little yappy dog suddenly took on an extremely quiet and submissive stance with me, ears down, not barking at all. The thing was that I had a "big dog" scent on me and the little yapper picked up on that and was suddenly afraid to challenge me.

The point: Can you spray your bike with the equivalent of a "big dog" scent, perhaps something available in the hunting section of a sporting goods store? That scent would probably be enough to tell the dog to back off.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The reason dogs chase bicycles has mostly to do with instinct. To them a bicycle appears as prey, and as a result they give chase. This behavoir may even override scents, so spraying your bike with "big dog" scent, even if available, might not accomplish the desired result.

I rarely get dogs chasing me simply because there aren't that many unleashed dogs and/or strays where I live. The few times I do, I simply accelerate smartly and go as fast as I can for a few blocks. If the dog can even keep up (most can't manage the 25 to 35 mph I reach when I do this), it usually tires of the chase after a block or two and gives up. Dogs aren't prone to chasing "prey" once out of their "territory". Also, many breeds can deal only manage quick sprints, not extended high-speed running.

I don't know if you're a strong enough, experienced enough rider to do what I do, but I can say it's worked every time. In fact, I've found the majority of dogs start losing ground even at 20 mph. Don't forget that the dog is usually standing still when it first sees you and decides to give chase. By the time it accelerates up to speed, I find I'm often half a block away even just holding my normal 21 to 23 mph cruising speed. If I notice it gaining, I will start accelerating immediately before it has a chance to catch up since I can't go from 20 to 30 as fast as a big dog can. Short of being chased by a greyhound, which hasn't happened yet, this method works well for me.

Another thing you can do if you see that you can't outrun the dog is to quickly come to a complete stop and remain absolutely motionless until the dog loses interest and walks away. When it's a block or so away, just ride away very slowly so as not to attract it back.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr, your right about the lack of strays in that area. Never seen one in 2 years.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
had the same problem on a motorcycle.
i would drive onto my street and the chase was on!
didnt lose interest even when i accelerated very quickly.
finaly i waited till the pest was close to the rear of the bike and stopped in my tracks.
yep tripple disc brakes stop quicker than 4 paws.went yelping away and never chased me again.
just tracked me as i went by.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a pit bull chase me once... but only once! Yep, the ol' "ammonia in a water bottle trick" He caught some of the spray and slammed on the brakes and ran. The next week he jumped when he saw me then gave me that "bicycles equal skunks" look and went back to sit on the porch. He never messed with me again.

Had a couple of junk yard dogs chase me when I got near their property... I just jumped my speed to around 25MPH and outran them. That trick does not work worth a crap if you are going uphill /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif I have only used ammonia once, but if need be... I'll use it again. My instincts kick in too ya know. I know that pit bull gave up it's career on chasing cyclists, motorcycles and pedestrians down the street... might of saved the psycho dogs life.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
get a high frequency dog whistle and blow it when it follows you.... if you get the right frequency it will run away from the painful noise. My roommates dog turns tail and runs when I turn on the dustbuster, now he has heard it you just have to pick it up and he hides so I guess it is putting out lots of high frequency noise.

Mednanu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
eTendue said:
Sometimes a DOG is following me when I am riding on bike. I think this is dangerous for the DOGGY. Any idea ?

[/ QUOTE ]Chuck snausages in the other direction.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Another option is to have a talk with the dog's owner about keeping it on a leash. Many communities have laws that prohibit certain breeds that are known for their aggression from roaming free without a leash.

L

LITEmania

thanks for great info.
guess i will try water spray and ammonia water spray
and
big dog scent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fat

Newly Enlightened
Warren, just pedal as consistently as usual , they will usually come up close barking furiously but its only their way of protecting their territory as they feel threaten.After a while, they we just go away.Avoid sudden change in speed,-like sprinting off, dogs can sprint up to 40-50km/h as recorded on my speedo meter before.They give chase because u sprinted and they will likely only chase the one that sprinted away from from a group.

This is my observation i got when i go off road bikin trails in once in a while and met up with a bunch of angry doggies along some remote corner.Whenever possibly,if theres distance, sprinting away is still my choice as gives some sense of kick and excitement.But when left with inadvertible choice of needing to pass by some of men's best friend,calmness and confidence is needed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Disclaimer:
-will not be responsible if u do get bitten by some crazy dogs.ive no ideas what breeds of dogs are over there in korea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif