Advice sought on Wills & Trusts

arrowhead

Newly Enlightened
I started my own business in Jan of this year. Does anyone here know how I should go about starting an will or trust for my family (brothers).

notos&w

Enlightened
what state are you in? what do you want to do with your assets? what do your assets amount to?

Obviously you should contact a lawyer. They are expensive but well worth it - an ounce of prevention . . .

Money and time saver advice: sit down, collect records of your assets, names and addresses of your beneficiaries, who gets what and when, etc. The more info you provide initially the more effective the Will will be. Remember, this is your plan, not the attorney's. You need to know what result you want before you talk to him; let him figure out how to accomplish that goal.

I have never used any of the online forms and such. I am personally very skeptical but that might just be the professional in me speaking. I'd speculate they are not too bad, but note that if the will is found invalid, the assets will be distributed accordingly to the law of intestate succession in your area. This will not necessarily be how you want them distributed.