Streamlight or Pentagon?

xx22

Newly Enlightened
In am considering bying a Streamlight TL-3 or a Pentagon X3.
Do anybody now these? How is the quality and brightness of these compared to a surefire 9p?

Do you now any other good lights?

Ps.I am not buying a surefire since I am from Europe (surefire prices in Europe are about doubble compared to USA prices, and USA online dealers are not alloved to sell surefire to Europe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif)

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two TL-3 incandescents, and consider it at the top of the 3/123 pile.

I owned a Surefire 9P, it was slippery, the SL switch was superior. SF bulb assemblies are very expensive, TL-3's comes with a spare onboard, and replacements are inexpensive. I sold the 9P.

I have no experience with the Pentagon.

In output, the TL-3 is exceeded only buy big $$$$$ add on turboheads to the three cell Surefires.

Mark2

Enlightened
I have both and they are both very good, but different:

TL-3: very compact with great output and throw, includes spare bulb, variable focus, good beam quality but with some artifacts, no HA-III available, comfortable switch.

X3: larger and heavier (comparable to the Surefire 9P), perfectly round focused beam with bright hotspot and nice sidespill (but no variable focus), no spare bulb (it's a whole assembly incl. reflector similar to Surefire), nice HA-III, very good water protection (double O-rings on all openings), extremely solid design (built like a tank). The beam is whiter and more focused than the 9P's beam, brighter than the P90 of the 9P.

I'd say the X3 wins regarding performance and build quality, but the TL-3 is much smaller and lighter! This really can be a huge advantage. I don't think there is a smaller/lighter flashlight with such good output. You won't be carrying an X3 in your jeans pocket for very long, but the TL-3...

Conclusion: If size and weight doesn't matter, get the X3. If you need something as compact as possible with lots of throw, get the TL-3. (Or you could get both...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

maxilux

Enlightened
I don´t know the Pentagon, but the Streamlight TL3(Xenon) is one of the best 3 cell Flashlight i have ever seen.

Take the TL3

papa

maxilux

Enlightened
xx22, where from Europe do you come from, send me pm.

I hope can help you.

Papa

Jefff

Enlightened
PentagonLight X3 is one bright bad mofo .. it would be around for a very long time in still new condition no matter what kind of abuse you subjected it too.. built like a tank is right on the money .. and knurled HA-III body makes it easy to hang onto.. just my .02

xx22

Newly Enlightened
THX for all your replyes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

Think I will go for the TL 3.....or maybe the pentagons better?.....Damn.... I am gonna end up bying both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

cy

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf xx22, streamlight and Pentagonlights are both excellent lights. I've got all three brands mentioned.

but if Surefire quality is what you are after, but can't get Surefire due to cost. Then Pentagonlight wins hands down.

IMHO PentagonLight's construction quality is equal to Surefire. Pentagonlight's hard anodize is mil spec with excellent penatration. internals have gold plated contacts w/spring loaded cell isolation with double orings.

Please note Pentagon's lineup is nowhere near Surefire. So it would only be fair to compare comparable lights.

X3 would be closest to a C3/C2 in Surefire. Price wise Surefire 9P/6P is closer, but is not HA.

Which one would I chose.. Surefire of course.

but if the choice was Streamlight or Pentagonlight. Pentagon wins hands down.

that being said, my recomendation is to get Surefire. There are cpf'er that will purchase new Surefire and GPM ($5) to you. Old grandpajack has excellent surefire prices.

Look into prices of Surefire C3 from Grandpa, they will be almost same price as Pentagonlight. So get Surefire!~

Mark2

Enlightened
Both on new batteries, TL-3 set to focused beam:
TL3-X3.jpg

maxilux

Enlightened
Thanks Mark2 for Beamshots, i think the Tl3 is better for long distance, or what do you mean?

Latest posts