Poor man's L4 (not a joke)

scudinc

Enlightened
Poor man\'s L4 (not a joke)

This is a painfully simple and cheap mod. Just buy one of those AdvancedMart 28-LED lights and stick 2 CR123s in. You'll have to sleeve them with some paper or foam or PVC. The beam is actually better than that of the L4 (no donut shape and bigger hotspot with the same throw), and both an outdoor test and a ceiling bounce test confirm that brightness is similar if not identical to that of the L4. It's not regulated, it's not as small, and it's not as durable, but for a light that costs a total of $20 to assemble, it's a steal.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Poor man\'s L4 (not a joke)

If I want a big, unregulated, non-durable light that merely puts out more lumens than an L4, Walgreens is having a special on 6 volt spotlights for $10 each. Output is probably comparable to an SF M6 and it's even rechargeable. Mere lumens are not what makes an L4 what it is.

A

Advancedmart

Seems like 6 volts would fry these. How did you get around that?

idleprocess

Flashaholic

I think it's more like he's getting to that point. The first LED failure will probably be in the future sometime, but I imagine there will be a chain reaction effect with decreasing times between individual LED failures...

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's a shame the diameter wasn't a bit bigger, 'cause i'd love to be able to fit 4 rechargeable AAs in there.

JanCPF

Enlightened

I think these LEDs will get angry blue and dim to a steady blue glow after their Vf has gone way up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. That is if you are lucky and not fry them in quick succession as idleprocess described. Short bursts might be okay - who knows. Sure is a simple mod though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jan