MY first EternaLight failure

TRC

Newly Enlightened
I've been a big fan fan of EternaLights since I got my first one back in 2001. I've given away a LOT of them as gifts, and I have just about every model EternaLight available, including a recently acquired Classic 2 model, which is as small as the Derringer, but does everything the Ergo does.

It's not water resistant, however; but it's small size is very cool.

Anyway, one of my EternaLights failed on me today, for the very first time.

I'm so dissapointed.

I keep an Ergo Elite Xray stuck by it's magnet to the side of my stereo amplifier on my bedstand.

Today when I went to grab it, the magnet stayed stuck to the stereo. The adhesive, whatever it was, had failed.

Oh, the dissapointemt of it all! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

It took me nearly 4 or 5 minutes to mix up some quick set JB Weld epoxy, and glue it back into place.

Things are now back to normal with all of my EternaLights.

What an ordeal: having one of most favorite flashlights fail in such a totally non functional fashion.

I'm glad the adhesive chose that time to let go, so the magnet was firmly stuck where I could plainly see it; if I had lost the magnet, THEN I would have REALLY been dissapointed in the poor track record for this flashlight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello TRC,

Are you OK? How did you survive the trauma of it all? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

And here I thought these lights were built like brick s**t houses...

Glad to hear you were able to recover so rapidly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have two EternaLights with magnets. One I was able to easily take the magnet off (which is what I wanted to do), the other one still has the magnet on it. I tried several methods to remove it and it just stays stuck to the light. Perhaps it is time to try to remove it again...

Tom

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a very real failure: Dropped my Eternalight Elitemax from waist height onto my kitchen floor.
It stopped working.

I removed the screws and discovered that the impact had shifted the bats out of contact with the springs.

Without a screwdriver, I would have been without light!

Still a sweet light.

Bob

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gifI love my eternalight
Chris

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I had the magnet come off an Elite X-ray a couple of years ago; the flashlight was stuck to the top of a steel doorframe, and a few days later, it just spontaneously fell off.

The eternaLight was on the floor, and the magnet was on the doorframe, so I did not have to look for anything. I simply pressed the magnet back in place and have not had it come off since.

TRC

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
I had a very real failure: Dropped my Eternalight Elitemax from waist height onto my kitchen floor.
It stopped working.

I removed the screws and discovered that the impact had shifted the bats out of contact with the springs.

Without a screwdriver, I would have been without light!

Still a sweet light.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

I modified one of the tiny Phillips screwdrivers which comes with all of the Elite EternaLights so I can keep it on my keychain. It's been there for 2 or 3 years, and while I've never needed to use it in an 'emergency', I always have it with me, should the need arise.

Fortunately, battery changes in EternaLights are few and far between, but it is, AFAIK, the only 'weak' spot in the the design of this quintessential LED flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I think the main "con" that prevented the eternaLight from receiving a full five-star rating from me is just that: requires a tool (even though it's already included with at least one model) for a battery change.

KahveOrta

Newly Enlightened
I have an Ergo Marine. The membrane switch looks af if it might peel off sooner or later ...

I keep it in my car, so that might have something to do with it

83Venture

Enlightened
The switch membrane came off my Ergo X-Ray once. Contacted Tecass and they offered to put a new one on or to send one for me to attach. They mentioned that there was a problem with a batch of adhesive and some had peeled off.

Got it in about a week and glued it on, still holding after about 2 years. Good service - want to eventually get an Elite X-Ray to add to the collection. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif