Anticipation of New LRI Proton

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I was going to just continue this in the existing thread, however that one seems to have turned into a debate on whether the light will produce 60 lumens or not. I'll post my opinion over in that thread. In this thread I'm curious as to whether or not others are waiting with anticipation as eagerly as I am for this new light. The fact that it will use a single AA-cell, along with the fact that it has different light settings is what's keepig me interested. I'm still unsure about the size, but time will tell. Some of the pictures I've seen makes it look much bigger than the size of a single AA-cell.

Mark2

Enlightened
I've grabbed every piece of information about the Proton since I first read about it in the Shot Show reports. What is known so far is very promising and LRI is known for quality. This might be a big winner, not just for flashaholics. So yes, I am waiting too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been reading the thread since it's inception. TIN is right it has become a debate. I'm waiting as well for this light, although I'm still wondering what the price is supposed to be.

doug

PJ

Enlightened
The one I got to mess with at the SHOT show didn't seem much larger diameter than a AA battery. Of course it was longer but it still felt like it would be a keychain light. I can't tell if it was 60 lumens but it did put out a nice white beam. It looked to have pretty good flood to it but I personally find that useful on a keychain light. I definitely check their website twice a week for any info on it.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Watching and waiting... I am fairly certain I will try this one out. I have room in the rotation for a good AA light. Even if it is not as bright as some hope, I think it will be very useful. Like TIN, I am excited about this one.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Whether it's the Proton or some other brand, I'm waiting for a AA or AAA light that uses the new brighter LEDs and offers two or more power levels. And, it shouldn't be any larger than an Infinity.

Geoff

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'm eagerly waiting for the Proton so I can evaluate it, place it on my website, and of course, furnish a link on CPF to that page so that all other CPFers can benefit from it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I really liked my Lux-III modded Arc-AA, however it was missing the multi-level brightness function that I really now consider a necessity in purchasing an LED light. I think the couple Jil 1.3w lights and the Jil Rev lights that I have on the way are probably the only non multi-level lights that I'll have in my ever-changing collection. Well, I do use my Mini and MiniMini Mags quite a bit and they're not multi-level. Daniel needs to go back into the business of making the dual-stage Kroll switches again.

As many have said, I'm really looking forward to the Photon based on the existing reputation of LRI. Does anyone know if that button on the light is the "turn" or "press" type switch?

Proton.jpg

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
At this point, my biggest concern is the "Powered by a single AA battery of almost any type" statement. If the Proton can not be powered on an Engergizer E2 (L91), that's enough to blow the deal for me.

Moat

Enlightened
Dimmable, regulated, 1AA, reflectored, newest generation (efficient) emitter (well... apparently/hopefully!!)... and from the pics, size appears very reasonably small (not significantly larger than my KeyLux 1AA, which is about as minimal a package size as possible for a reflectored 1AA). This light seems about perfect.

TIN, I'm with 'ya on this one, too. I've deferred a number of recent possible light purchases, to save $ in anticipation of the Proton's release.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
My main concern with multi-level lights is how the switching is accomplished. I have one nice light that has a "hidden" feature - in that you have to press and hold to access the strobe mode. I wish it was "press and hold" to access anything other than full on/full off.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
attowatt said:
when is this light due to hit the streets, and any idea on price $39...$49... $59

[/ QUOTE ]

I read somewhere it's going to be $70.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
At this point, my biggest concern is the "Powered by a single AA battery of almost any type" statement. If the Proton can not be powered on an Engergizer E2 (L91), that's enough to blow the deal for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ray,

I saw a runtime plot somewhere, I think it was in one of the threads on the Proton. It shows the runtime with four different kinds of batteries. The best runtime and the most output was with lithium batteries. Next best was NiMH.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
T_I_N,
I, like you are eagerly awaiting the release of the Proton Photon. As far as the ability to use L91 lithiums, the picture of the light has a lithium AA battery sitting next to it. My assumption is that lithium will not be any problem.

Will it put out 60 lumens? Proton is a decent company so it should be in the ballpark. Even if it puts out 40 lumens I am going to buy two of them. My new instant EDC to replace my ailing minimag BB500 R2H.

After using my nFlex WX1S Mag, all future lights have to have adjustable output. The last time I bought a light was late September 2004... I am waiting for the Proton, at $70 the price is right.

ChrisA

Enlightened
I'm waiting eagerly too for that light to become available. Single AA and multilevel output is what sold me...
I'm hoping for beam characteristics close to the Q3, brightness comparable to the Q3 + LiIon 4,2V and runtime around 2 hours on maximum setting using 2200+mAh NiMHs - that would surely ROCK ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Chris

gorlank

Enlightened
I'm in if it's as bright as they say but I have to admit, looks wise, it's a little uninspiring.