Simple X1 Mod? (Bigger hotspot)

Bradlee

Enlightened
I was reading a thread about LED_ASAP modding an Inova X1 with a luxeon star. He noted that the hotspot was slightly larger than with the stock LED since the star sat closer to the lens. So, I was wondering, has anyone tried using a regular 5mm LED and just situating it closer to the lens in order to obtain a bigger hotspot? Basically, the stock LED would be replaced with a new LED with longer leads (See bad picture below)to obtain a light with bigger hotspot:

x1modidea4bg.jpg

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but if I'm missing anything, I'd like to know it before freeze-popping my X1. If I understand the inside of the X1 correctly, I imagine that the light would also output more lumens if one were to do this since less light would be lost "bouncing arround" inside the battery tube.

Thanks
-Brad

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only one problem if the leads were longer, if you were to drop the flashlight the LED could change its position due to
the leads bending under force when dropped.

Bradlee

Enlightened
Torch Boy, I was wondering if that might be a problem. Perhaps I will try to reinforce the 'legs' by soldering on some additional support.

Does anyone know if placing the LED closer to the lens would amplify the image of the little metal leads (Don't know what you call them) inside the emitter, making them visible at a greater distance?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
They would probably be visible at a closer distance, not farther. Maybe you should try an 8mm or 10mm led. It would be brighter, but you might need to mod the electronics. You could epoxy it (the led and pcb) to the brass bezel, making a tight unit. If you're trying to make a light more like an infinity ultra, replacing the aspherical lens with a flat lens might help.

I haven't heard of anyone trying a flat lens for the X1. I imagine it would put out a similarly weak beam like the ultra, but a lot of sidespill would be lost due to the depth of the led.
--------------------
x1 poll

Bradlee

Enlightened
O.K. I went ahead and tried it. The freeze and pop method of removing the bezel was incredibly effective! Since I didn't have any white LED's with long leads, I extended the leads of the stock LED. The result is a rather ringy (as LED_ASAP predicted) beam, but with a "typical" beam pattern (e.g. sidespill).

Modded LED (sorry for the blurry pic):
10021492ei.jpg

New Beam-Pattern:
10021448mo.jpg

Modded X1 vs. Dorcy AAA:
10021454sj.jpg

I'm sure you could play arround with this a lot (the length of the leads) and get many slightly different beam shapes/patterns. The LED in my X1 is now about a millimeter or two from the lens.

Edit: BTW, has anyone tried replacing the X1's circuit board with a dorcy AAA regulation/step-up circuit. I just love the form factor of the Inova, but it is evident after this little experiment that it is not putting out nearly as much light as even a dory AAA.

-Brad

Bradlee

Enlightened
Forget fixing the stock components! I decided to take the mod one step further and put the parts from one of my (brighter) Dorcy 1AAA's into the inova body. I think I will use my X1 much more often now, as the beam is much more practical/usable.

Inova X1 vs Dorcy AAA comparison:
(Stock Dorcy AAA on left, Modded Inova X1 on right)
inovafloodlightrd2id.jpg

joraff

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to dig up an old topic, but with the recent availability of cree's and SSC's new LEDs, does anyone who has studied an X1 know if they can be modded to accept one of the new emitters?