newbie needing help

Chad

Newly Enlightened
I would like to buy a LED flashlight for work. I work with a train transportation company. i am required to have a flashlight/lantern to do my job.

the one that is supplied to me by my company is very big and heavy. i have looked at 5 watt luxeon LED flashlights. the only draw back i can see to them is batteries are expensive.

can anybody sugest a good replacement for my current lantern?

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! I'd recommend the Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon Led 4AA. Fairly compact, readily available batteries, and very good brightness and tint. It's regulated with full brightness lasting 3.5-4hrs. Check out the review at flashlightreviews.com

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Chad,

Welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

I'm an Engineer on the UP and I was a conductor for 10 years on the CNW before that. Our trainmen are required to use a lantern for giving hand sign, but the trainmen that are on remote control jobs are furnished headlamps. If you are allowed to use a flashlight, you are going to need a light with long runtime. Some of our trainmen carry a small EDC light for times when they can't get back to the engine before dark or to back up their lantern.

I recommend either a Surefire A2 or a Surefire L2 or Surefire U2 as your primary light.
Here's Quickbeam's review of the A2. The A2 runs for about 50 minutes on high and about 20 hours on low. Low is enough light to walk by. The A2 on high has fairly good throw and the low beam is a flood beam.
Here's Quickbeam's review of the L2. The L2 runs about 45 to 50 minutes on high or about 8 hours on low before it starts to dim. The low of the L2 is brighter than the A2 on low. The L2 has a flood beam on high or low.
Here's Quickbeam's review of the U2. The U2 has a tighter beam than the L2. It has six brightness levels. It runs for about 1 hour on level 6 and about 40 hours on level 1.
You can get 123 primary cells for $1 each from The Battery Station's CPM members only special page.
The U2 can use Pila 168A rechargeable cells available from J.S. Burly's
The inside diameter of the A2 & L2 are to small for the Pilas to fit.
You'll probably want a holster. I prefer RipOffs clip on holsters.

There are a lot of small back up lights. The Infinity Ultra is a 1AA light that runs for 10 hours on 1 AA battery. The HDS is another option.

edit: Be sure what ever you order is in stock before you order, other wise you might wait for months for your light.

The Opalec NewBeam is a cheaper alternative that you install in a MiniMag. It has about the same brightness as the Surefire A2 on low and it runs for 10 hours before it starts to dim. A red LED light will come on as a low battery indicator.

maxilux

Enlightened
Hi, In my opinion the SL PP4AA is best light for you.
Good price and more distance as most Surefires.
I think a 5Watt Luxeon Flashlight is not good.
What is good by a Flashlight with 5 Watt LED, Much more price, no good brightness, and same runtime as an Xenon Light?
Take the PP4AA and be happy.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hey Chad, welcome to CPF, and why dontcha stay awhile!

Maybe you can tell us just what you will use it for, like the signaling Hoghead is talking about, or walking the tracks, or something else?

And what do you want to spend. 123s can get costly, depending on how much you use your torch. In that case, a light like Jayman's recommendation of a AA-powered light, and where you could use rechargeables, is a good idea. I have rechargeable AAs in my Streamlight Luxeon Jr., and my minimags with dropin LED sandwiches.

so whaddaya say Chad?
daloosh

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
daloosh,

Their lights are never turned off when they are outside. Trainmen that work in the yards usually use their light for 8 to 12 hours a night. Trainmen that work road jobs may use their lights for about 2 hours at a time and might use it for any where from 2 to 12 hours on a 12 hour shift. They are used for walking and many times they walk for miles. They also need to see as far as possible when they are riding the cars back to put the train together. If you can see a box car at 600 feet that is sufficient. Most lights, including the supplied lanterns are not up to the job, but trainmen have been doing the job with less than satisfactory lights because they are free. The lantern batteries that are furnished are heavy duty. The bulbs are usually just vacuum bulbs, but sometimes HP40 bulbs are available. They need to be able to hold their lights while climbing on the cars and engines. Their lights get hard use in all weather and will be used daily for years. Surefires are worthwhile if they are willing to spend the money.

Chad,
A headlamp would be good for use while hanging air hoses and walking. A Princeton Tec Corona is a very good headlamp that is flood only with vairable brightness. Here's Quickbeams review of the Corona.
If you want more throw from a headlamp the Princeton Tec Yukon HL is a good one. Here's QuickBeam's review. The Yukon HL has both throw from the Luxeon and flood from the 5mm LEDs.
You could use a headlamp in addition to a flashlight. If you go this route you could get by with less runtime from your flashlight because the headlamps have long runtimes and your bright flashlight would only be used when you need to see at greater distance. A Surefire G2 is a good cheap light. Here's Quickbeam's review.

Don't get overwelmed by all the information. Read a lot before you spend your money. I carried a Surefire A2 for a year or two and it was pretty hard to beat. I switched to a custom 5 watt light because I can use Pila rechargeable batteries, but it only runs for 1 hour. This is my "bright" light. I also carry a ARC 4x, this was a predecessor to the HDS light. This light has variable brightness and long runtime. I sometimes clip it to my cap when MUing engines. My needs are different than yours, I don't need as much runtime.

If you can afford the Surefire U2 and Pilas, it would give you everything you need except hands free use that you get from a headlamp.

I use a Princeton Tec Tec 40 as my loaner light for when conductors need it. They all seem to like it. I think it's about as bright as a 3D flashlight. Here's Quickbeam's review.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
Jayman said:
Welcome to CPF! I'd recommend the Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon Led 4AA. Fairly compact, readily available batteries, and very good brightness and tint. It's regulated with full brightness lasting 3.5-4hrs. Check out the review at flashlightreviews.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a link to the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon from BrightGuy.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twelve hours a night, that would be asking an incredible amount from a light. Initially when I read your recommendation of the U2, I was a bit surprised - don't get me wrong, I love my U2 to death, but the price usually sticker shocks folks.

Now I can see why, because with the U2, your requirement to carry reloads is greatly reduced. If you're going to be out there for 12 hours you DEFINITELY need a variable power light. The key advantage of variable power is that it allows you to reduce the light output to just that amount you need to work efficiently, and what you trade off in brightness you gain in runtime. It is an unusual concept in the flashlight world, because variable power lights have only existed in the past couple of years. Think of it as a dimmer that you can turn to dial down or dial up the light.

The U2 has six brightness levels, I tend to think of them not so much in terms of "lumens" but rather in terms of battery life - level 6 (1 hour), level 5 (2.5 hours), level 4 - 5hrs, level 3 - 10hrs, 20, 40. This way you only need to carry one charged battery and one spare unless you plan on operating on level 5 or higher a great deal.

Rechargeable is a must. Expensive? Yup. But at those usage rates they'd pay for themselves in a couple of months or less.

Welcome to CPF. You've found the right place.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
KevinL,

The two most asked questions the guys at work ask is how much does it cost and how long will it run on a set of batteries.

Small lights are also very desirable. I've given out a lot of Dorcy 1 AAA & 1 AA. The 1 AA is more popular with trainmen because of runtime. Two of the guys got NewBeams and two more have the Streamlight Syclone. One of the guys has a ARC LSL-P and a Fire~Fly. I've also seen 1 EternaLight, 1 Stinger, 1 G2, a couple of Surefire clones, plus a no name 3 AA LED and a lot of MiniMags. The company supplys the Streamlight Septor to the trainmen on remote control jobs, so there are a lot of those in use. The company also supplied a 4AA incandescent headlamp with the batteries in the front, it didn't hold up and wasn't popular because of poor runtime (even with free batteries) and excess weight. Most of these lights are used as a back up to their lantern which is supplied and required by the company.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eternalights sounds like the one for the job... Long runtime and lightweight, variable power as well... You could have it in your pockets and forget its there probably. If you need something with more throw, then maybe add a UKE 2L as an extra (with its 2-3 hrs runtime).
Other lights that come to mind are the UKE 4AA eLed (you can get a holder to clamp this to your hardhat if you wear one for work) which has excellent runtime, Wayne's (Elektrolumens) Anglelux (again very good runtime on 2D cells), or even some of the Streamlight Twintask lights, which give you dual output (Xenon + Leds) depending on the situation you need it for.
Hope you find what you're looking for...

Chad

Newly Enlightened
WOW!!

This is the warmest welcome I've ever received from a message board. Thanks people

First off, I feel like a rookie playing in his first pro game. intimidated! I didn't realize how much info there is on flashlights.

ThaNKS HOGHEAD FOR BEING ABLE TO HELP ENLIGHTEN THE MEMBERS TO THE POSSIBILITY OF USES FOR MY NEEDS. oops
i am a road conductor working a job that requires little ground work. But as a railroader, anything can happen in a tour of duty. thus, one must be prepared.

i will digest all of the info that everybody was so willing to give.

this i would consider in a light:

Long throw distance. (as hoghead stated, i often ride 'the point' at 25mph w/o much background light other than my own)

Long battery life. I have used my lantern for 10 continuous hours in 30 below 0 celcius weather. (canadian)

Size. I am required to carry many items in my line of work. i woould like to bring down the size of my current lighting instrument

thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I will try and educate myself and come back with a better understanding

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you need a couple of lights. The U2 for general purpose utility work, and another light capable of long throw. 600 feet is an incredibly long distance to throw, especially for a U2. There are, however, lights that can manage up to 300+ yards easily - but they are custom built. CPF has this gigantic array of custom built lights by the 'modders'. As if off-the-shelf lights were not enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My favorite is the PR-T custom head on a Surefire E2e body. This yields a 5", 4 ounce light smaller than a MiniMag that will reach up to 300 yards (tested). The PR-T has since evolved to become the Aleph 1. Should be able to run for 2 hours (DB750, Lux3, 2 lithiums or 1500ma rechargeable). Carry reloads.

-30C begs for lithium chemistries. I'm surprised alkalines work in those temperatures!