Difficult choice

recercare

Enlightened
I thought i had made up my mind about rechargeables. I chose the Ultrastinger,but today i came across a store selling Magcharger for 110$, while the Ultrastinger costs 160$. I am from Norway so everything is more expensive here
rolleyes.gif

My question is: Even though Ultrastinger has a more even beam and perhaps a brighter hotspot......does this justify the 50$ difference in price?

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
@recercare,

I know the problems with those virtual exchange rates of 1:2 (before the actual rate conversion) they put on all american goodies in europe ...... but I think 110USD for the MC is a good price after all (in europe) - I think you read the separate thread lately about the MC comparison against the Stingers anyway.

But here´s my 2 cents:

With the above mentioned pricing in europe why not make your own el cheapo MC wanna-be - using a Mag 3D (almost same size) and 5 1/2D rechargeable cells (at upto 3700ma instead of the 2200 of the MC) and using something like the HPR36 5,5V / 1A bulb rated at 100 lumens (sacrifying the bulb life a bit but getting around 120 ? lumens overdriving it with ~ 6V - but there are also the 6.5V / 0,7A at 90 lumens for longer life) - this would be a compromise somewhat similar to the MC at much lower cost (1:2?), much longer runtime (1:3?)- slightly lower output - no charging craddle - might fit your bill depending on what you plan to do with the light.
Klaus

Size15's

Flashaholic
Charger Power Supply issues...
Import Duty... VAT...

Atleast SureFire rechargeables come with a faglighter power cable. That way, technically I don't need a UK Power supply.

Al

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
Charger Power Supply issues...
Import Duty... VAT...

Atleast SureFire rechargeables come with a faglighter power cable
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That wouldn't do you much good if you don't have a car. So you'd still have to buy or build something with that receptacle & the correct voltage that will plug in to the mains.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It'll be cheaper to buy a car to use the faglighter then to get a UK Powersupply for the CN400 or 10X Charger. (almost)

But I get your point.
BTW. I need your help about an LED (!)

Al

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by recercare:
so,....that would be 90+50$ = 140$<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch.

recercare

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John N:
Why wouldn't you mail order it at <$90??

Brightguy.com
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because of shipping, and Norwegian taxes. A 90$ on brightguy will result in:
+10-15$ shipping
25$ in taxes
10$ in custom

so,....that would be 90+50$ = 140$