Any L7 owners? (Al, can you help out?)

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well before I said that I would buy a Pila GL3R, but Im not positive that I will buy it. I looked into the rechargeable surefires, and looked at the L7. I wanted LED quality and rechargability in my next light, which can be around 200$. Ive noticed the L7 isnt mentioned much around here. Al, do you have the L7? There are absolutely NO reviews whatsoever about it.

Thertel

Newly Enlightened
There was just a post about this a couple of days ago and I remember reading that there was no review because the light had not been provided to a reviewer.

Thomas

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I responded immediately and positively to the PM, so I'll have an evaluation of it up rather soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
In fact, I'll make it a priority item - getting the evaluation of it started right after I receive it.

jtice

Flashaholic
Very kind of you wasabe ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Looking forward to it Craig.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig, You are to recieve the honor to officially write The FIRST EVER review of the SureFire L7 Digital LumaMax tm! And I am positive that nobody can prove me wrong on that statement.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mags said:
Craig, You are to recieve the honor to officially write The FIRST EVER review of the SureFire L7 Digital LumaMax tm! And I am positive that nobody can prove me wrong on that statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

Craig is a great guy and I don't want to steal his thunder, but a Google search turned up this..

Nevertheless I'm looking forward to Craig's beamshots and "battery change" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I almost bought an L7, but then sanity prevailed. The U2 with 18650s is so much more than "just" a L7 - though I must admit, the L7 is so much CHEAPER than my U2 plus full kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've long wondered about the L7. To me, it looks great and has a nice form factor for duty carry and use. Not tactical per se, but heavy security/inspection. The battery pack is either a plus or minus depending on how you see it. At 1800mAh on the stock nicad stick, runtime is decent. At 3700mAh on a nimh stick, fantastic.

Wilkey

cdf

Enlightened
I have one and like it . Very nice beam quality , good color, no artifacts . Build quality is typical Surefire . The switch is different from most Surefires , rear push button for momentary , twist the head for maintained . It comes with two battery packs and a 12 volt/110 AC charger . It wowld probably be a good duty lite , very rugged HA3 and enuff weight to be a feild expedient impact tool . I carry mine in a flapped pouch , originally designed for an ASP baton , the pouch has been retrofitted with a swivel .

To give you a reference point , the performance is comparable to an L6 .

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted a review of the L7 here when I got mine last year. Nice light, based on the 8AX body and battery, but I don`t carry it due to the lack of a lockout switch and the fact that I don`t have a belt holster that fits it either.

Read my impressions here accompanied by comparison photographs.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
KevinL, I dont mean to offend, but I dont think that "review" is very informative and couldnt really be called a review. Just a few short words about back up and navy seals and thats it.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It was Chris M's post and photos that I was recalling.

The lack of LockOut is why I don't have an L7 (basically because I wouldn't make good use of it since I wouldn't carry it if I couldn't disable it).

That said, I use the 8NX quite a bit around the house - it's a workhorse and it's taken a beating over the last few years.

Al

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Chris M, would you do some runtime tests with your L7? Do you have a light meter to do some lux tests? Also, how many amps does it pull from the battery? The L7 must have a solid boost circuit to push voltage of the three cell NiCd battery pack to well over 6 volts, and hold it there.

Bill

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`ll put a fresh B92 on the charger and see what I can do tonight....

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I started an informal run test with the newly recharged battery, but wasn`t paying attention, only to look up and see it had gone very dim and was now flickering. I *think* it went 50+ minutes at a decent brightness but know it wasn`t more than an hour. Of course, it has seen so little use that perhaps the battery needs cycling a bit to get it back on form.

I`ll try again tomorrow once the C800 has finished its job for the second time...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran a second test tonight after charging the battery last night and letting it rest all day. It went about 55 minutes brightly and was still giving useful light at the one hour mark. Looks like the original test was about right, even if I wasn`t watching it close enough.

So it`s probably safe to say that it will run *about* an hour and maybe more if used intermittantly.