Small lights with a very powerful beam?

meanwhile

Newly Enlightened
..And it is fine if that beam is very narrow. I was thinking of the G2 with the P60 lamp, but now I'm wondering if the T3 gives the same intensity of the central beam with a tougher lamp, and a switching mechanism I prefer? (Which is click for on, with no need to hold down.)

Or is there another light in this price range and of similar size (it must fit easily in a coat pocket) anyone would recommend?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the CPF, meanwhile. There are too many lights for me to remember that might meet your requirements. I belive the T-3 will outthrow the G2, which I have. The E1l, E2e, Scorpion, PM6, X03, HDS42 & 60, TL-2 & 3 and on an on, are all "small" and bright. Others can pick up where my limited list left off. Have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Meanwhile, welcome to CPF!! I'll be the first to jump in to say "Hold on to your wallet!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The new G2s come with a cliclie now, although not all the dealers may have them in stock yet, but you might get lucky. So, the G2 might be a good choice after all. I am not too sure about the T3, but depending on your need, if you require a light that will cut through smoke or fog, then an incan is definitely the way to go. Apart from the G2, there's also the UKE 2L, which is not as bright but runs longer. With both of these you can opt to get the Led drop ins to replace the incandescent lamp should you want to. Else, Pelican and Brightstar Koehler (sp?) makes some 2AA and 4AA sized lights that are quite bright, although not as bright as the G2.
Hope this helps... and see you around!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Edit: Looks like Jayflash beat me to it... Anyway, somehow when you mentioned powerful 'beam' I seem to think of only incans... Jayflash has quite a few of the small Leds covered, so you're in good hands...

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Basic 60. 1x123 size....60 lumens on high. Higher price range than you state, but worth it my opinion says.

scudinc

Enlightened
A Pelican M6 would be the best choice for you. It's relatively inexpensive, has great throw, and can be upgraded to an LED when you're ready to spend that much.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight TL-3 xenon- very bright and not much larger than the smaller 3xCR123 lights.

I'm pretty happy with my Pelican M6 LED, good throw but not as much as the incan's.

Turboman7

Newly Enlightened
Hey meanwhile,

I have TL-3 that Streamlight claims is 2 200 lumen light. The beam is not as narrow as my SF 6P (similar to the G2) and really NOT that much brighter, but I still like the 6P better. The replacement bulbs are a lot cheaper for the TL-3.

For the money, you can't go wrong with either a 6P or a G2.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a T3, and while it will throw the light, I wouldn't call it small. The TIROS optic makes it a long light. But I am very happy with it, and my T1.

Blades

davidra

Enlightened
I would consider an E2E, newer model,that comes with a clicky. Very small, and almost as bright as a G2 (not visibly different to my eyes).

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a small bright powerful pencil beam light get a laser pointer, brightest and thinnest beam out there! and just as practical as any narrow beam flashlight.

G2 does not have a narrow beam. None of my 12 Surefires have narrow beams, that's not what Surefire makes them for. They make room filling, broad, flooding, wall of light flashlights.