ekk is this a brown recluse spider?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
excuse bad pic i was afraid to get to close i hate spiders

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think so. The legs aren't long and slinder. The abdomen doesn't look right with that coloring and shape. I don't see an upsidown fiddle.

Do a search on google for "brown recluse photos". You might try google image search too. Be prepared for nasty photo's of bites too!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you seen the movie "Alien" ? If so then that's kind of what a brown recluse looks like... a face hugger! Long skinny legs, weird abdomen... BR's are fast too when scared.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i samshed him many times any ways i hate spiders so much there so creepy and dangeroes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
heheh I don't blame you. If they are outside I leave them alone. Big ol garden spiders are kinda cool to look at but creepy!

If they are in my house they are goners! Even ones that aren't deadly, they can still bite me and leave marks/sores even if they don't kill tissue it's not fun!!

Empath

Flashaholic
This is a brown recluse

brownrecluse02.jpg

This is what they do.

brown5.jpg

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I try to herd the grass/wolf spiders out whenever I see them. Geckos I leave alone sine they'll either eat bugs or entertain my cat for days on end (I think he's still looking for the one that "got away" behind the TV 2 years ago).

Negeltu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
This is a brown recluse

brownrecluse02.jpg

This is what they do.

brown5.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. It is true that a few bites lead to very serious problems including necrosis of the surrounding tissue and serious infection, but this is in extreme cases. It is rather misleading to say "this is what they do" and then show that photo. Many people just experience mild symptoms and heal without scarring. You must remember that spiders use their venom to kill prey for the most part. It takes a lot of energy for the spider to make that venom and it will not waste it readily on defense. Often the amount of venom that is injected is very small for this reason. Spiders have to eat and that venom is the way most of them bring home the bacon... heh. They do look kinda icky, but they aren't as bad as people think.

cy

Flashaholic
sometime back, was shopping for some grapes at grocery store. Picked up a nice clump of grapes, noticed a huge BLACK WIDOW spyder nested inside.

Quickly wrapped grapes in several plactic bags, paid for grapes spyder and all. then took black widow spyder home.

Found a large glass jar for a spyder home, fed it bugs etc. black widow spyder lived quite a while and made the coolest pet.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Negeltu said:
[ QUOTE ]

remember that spiders use their venom to kill prey for the most part. It takes a lot of energy for the spider to make that venom and it will not waste it readily on defense. Often the amount of venom that is injected is very small for this reason. Spiders have to eat and that venom is the way most of them bring home the bacon... heh. They do look kinda icky, but they aren't as bad as people think.

[/ QUOTE ]
OT a little bit, but I've been reading on the net about the infamous Hobo Spider that you folks in the Northwest have.
-Have you seen any of those, or heard of them?

Negeltu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
vcal said:
[ QUOTE ]
Negeltu said:
[ QUOTE ]

remember that spiders use their venom to kill prey for the most part. It takes a lot of energy for the spider to make that venom and it will not waste it readily on defense. Often the amount of venom that is injected is very small for this reason. Spiders have to eat and that venom is the way most of them bring home the bacon... heh. They do look kinda icky, but they aren't as bad as people think.

[/ QUOTE ]
OT a little bit, but I've been reading on the net about the infamous Hobo Spider that you folks in the Northwest have.
-Have you seen any of those, or heard of them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I have read that the hobo spider only injects venom 50% of the time with defensive bites.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
its not a black widow or brown recluse so dont worry about it.
i killed a recluse a few weeks ago here.
it showed up in the restroom at my shop.
i would have collected it but didnt have a safe way to catch it.
tried taking a pic with a camera phone but i lit the critter with an arc-ls and the pic was a big blur from too much light.
here is a good read
spider myths
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
excuse bad pic i was afraid to get to close i hate spiders

[/ QUOTE ]

MoonRise

Enlightened
Note to folks, the pic of the guy's thumb after the brown recluse spider bite is at about Day 6 post-bite. It got much worse a few days after that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif

For the curious and the strong-of-stomach, search the web and you'll find pics of tissue damage after brown recluse spider bites. Large scale tissue necrosis involving dermal and muscular tissues which required skin graft surgery to close the wound.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of hobos around, have only seen a few bites that became problematical.

For some reason, they seem attracted to some people and leave others completely alone, so people that get bit, tend to get bit again. I had a patient who averaged about 2 bites a month, she was diabetic, so they tended to get infected. After prolonged trials of antibiotics, we found the best way to handle them in her case was to inject a small amount of liquid steroid into the site as soon as possible after the bite. If it had already become infected, we just ended up dissecting the tissue out and putting her on antibiotics.

She repeatedly had her home and property professionally sprayed, several times by different pest agencies, but never really got done with it.

Bill

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Jersey Pines is the largest breeding ground of Black Widows. They certainly aren't rare where I live. I've found quite a few of them and killed them whenever I got the chance (especially the three I found in my backyard!). Creepy arachnids /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Back in Juneau AK. in the early-1970s, a school teacher told me her husband got bitten by a brown recluse while he was reaching under a baseboard heater; and that the bite area became all necrotic & swollen, and he required surgery to repair the damage.

Since the brown recluse spider is not indigenous to that area, my best guess is that it hitched a ride on some bananas or something, and entered the house that way.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy, youre a crazy person for sure! I thought you were going to say you took the grapes home and put the whole thing in the microwave or something! but no you kept it!!

After it died, did you shellac it or put it in epoxy or something?

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
OT but grapes are cool in the microwave! If you slice the grape in half starting from where it joined the vine, but don't cut through the skin at the other end, then put it flesh down on a plate (it will look like two little green boobs - I have never tried red grapes). Put it in the microwave and watch what happens!