Forget the NitroExpress.(firearm related)

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I would prefer to have the animal in less than 45 pieces when I go hunting....what about you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You know, it gave me the chill to see the man holding the gun so close to his chin, then I saw the diameter of the tri-pod. Now that's a support.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sucks to lug the system around, think it is 128 pounds for a system. Luckily most of the ones I have fired were on a turret (can't truck it f it! lol)

I've never been hunting but after seeing what a 50 cal slap round does to an engline block, I wouldn't think the animal would be in 45 pieces. I think you'll have a hard time finding the actual animal, LOL!

MoonRise

Enlightened
Check out Accurate Reloading reloading pages and the rest of the web site.

The 700 NE could be loaded up to 10,000+ ft-lb muzzle energy, and some of the + was in the range of 13,000 ft-lb!

They used to have a video of an associate firing a rifle with some kick to it. The rifle kicked the guy on his butt and then slammed into the glass wall behind him! It looks like the video section is now in their forum pages (registration required, I don't feel like registering).

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
The Nitro Express cartridges are certainly impressive.

However, you're still talking a straight-walled case, cartidge design that's over 100 years old.

For something in the bottlenecked category do a Google search on "NTW-20 Rifle". Hydraulic buffer pistons are handy things to have...

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened
A few rounds rapid fire should reveal any loose filings in your teeth that you didn't know about!A 1000 grain projectile,you had better know how to handle some recoil.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeez...what I shoot looks like the peashooter compared to that thing.

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
Based on the photos, design is primitive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Single shot with relatively slow reload. No muzzle brake. No other (apparent) recoil absorbing mechanism apart from ones shoulder!! Consequently shooting accuracy and shooting comfort will suffer.

What would be even more impressive is a large caliber gun with SEMI-AUTOMATIC action, and with additional recoil limiting/absorbing mechanism(s) so one can maintain accuracy and fire extra/follow-up shots quickly.

spock

Enlightened
a few years back there was an ad for a gun store(j&g sales?)in the magazines. they had a doublebarrel rifle of .900 caliber. i think 1 barrel had the recoil of 27 (30-06 cal.) rifles fired at once. that figure could be off somewhat. the ad stated that if you would shoot both barrels at the same time, they would give you the gun. there were no takers.