U2 Tailcap Options

cliff

Newly Enlightened
Even though it is my favorite light, my U2 has had a few tailcap problems. The first one wouldn't turn off, the second one wouldn't turn on, but the third one now appears to be just right.

This fault-free tailcap came last Friday with an invoice that said: "Z59 Reap Cap Assy, Click, M2, BK." The package indicated it was a tailcap for an "M2 Combatlight."

This is a little strange, since it has a shiney black finish and I thought the M2 only came in grey.

Also, if the U2 tailcap is the same as the M2's, does this mean that the Z48 & Z49 M2 caps will also work for the U2? I'm pretty pleased with the new Z59, but might look into one of the other ones at some point.

jtice

Flashaholic
Yes, the U2 tailcap is the same as the M2.

I think the U2 will handle any tail that the M2 will.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Z59 should be black anodised but not Hard Anodised Black.
If you notice that the TailCap I have labelled as the Z59 is actually Black HA (it's the U2's TailCap) and not the shiny black anodised used by the 6P.
Al-swts.jpg

The Z49 (Black, not HA) that I have fits and functions on the U2 I tried it on here:
al-u2f.jpg

However, the Z48/Z49/SW02 may not function on all U2's (according to some feed back from CPF users I read)

The U2's Black HA TailCap does not have a Z number that I'm aware of.

If the Z59 TailCap you have is actually HA then either SureFire have changed the Z59 to Black HA, or they are bagging up U2 TailCaps in the closest similar bag they have.

The L5 & L6 feature the Z58 Clickie TailCap.
The M2 & M3 feature the standard LockOut TailCap (again, unless SureFire have changed this extremely recently).

Al

cliff

Newly Enlightened
I'm not familiar with the appearance or virtues of the various types of anodizing, but the Z59 I got looks alot shinier than the one in your picture (which looks less shiney than the Z49 above it).

It is very shiney black, and much shinier than the body or bezel of the U2. This mismatch doesn't bother me at all and I'm just happy the thing works. The odd thing was the invoice definately said it was for an M2, and those aren't black as far as I know.