Best mods for 2AA MiniMag and 2D Maglite?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a brand spanking new 2AA minimag and a 2D cell Maglite lying around unused. As far as the 2AA minimag goes which LED mod is the best? The Terralux? Or that other one with the 3LEDs plus the red "low batt" LED? I admit I don't know too much about the available mods for Maglites. As far as the 2D Mag goes, I'm open to suggestions but I'd like to stick with LED mods for it as well, maybe a good "flood" type mod for it. Suggestions?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations: You now have two platforms guaranteed to burn a hole in your wallet each time a new Luxeon drop-in claims to be the new King of the Hill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't own any Mags, much less any of their replacement bulbs; I know only what I read.
For the 2D, your choices are few. I'd go with a Diamond Lux, either the Luxeon I or Luxeon III: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/diamond_magbulbs.htm

For the 2AA, consider EverLED:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/everled.htm

or one of the drop-in offerings from The Sandwiche Shoppe:

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php

The Shoppe's original choices were MadMax (semiregulated) and BadBoy (fully regulated), in various current ratings. But a third model, the Nexgen, is more modern and encompasses the best of both.

Don't forget a glass lens for each Mag to get the most from your investment.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
So much to choose from, getting overload! I'm looking for something to compliment the high output of my Surefires. Good grief! What do I choose! I guess I'll just have to look around...

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd vote for a sandwich for the Minimag. I don't think an Everled goes in there, at least none of mine do. Everled would work better in the 2D, or maybe a hotwire mod with 123 cells. .

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, KDOG3.

Personally, I would recommend a Badbay Nexgen(BBNG) simply because it is more efficient (less heat) and does a great job regulating. And as for Minimag, I do think BBNG 500 is a great balance between runtime(around 90 minutes) and brightness. If you go higher(say BBNG 750), then you might see some diminishing return for that extra brightness.

If you are shooting for longer runtime, I have read that Wayne will be releasing some Madmax lite RY0J-and that will be a great combination(good tint, decent brightness, excellent runtime ~180min).

Good luck!

mrichelo

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I've been reading CPF for probably a year now. Just registered recently. Glad I found an outlet for my flashlight obsession. My friends think I'm a little weird.

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been thinking thinking about this same question. The Diamond replacement LEDs look like a good way to go. I'm also gonna get a UCL lens. My question, reflectors... what types of replacement reflectors are available and where to get them?

Gorgon5

Newly Enlightened
Is there any difference in focusing between these options on a AA maglite? The BB ones that are $50+ make me think focusing would be the only advantage a modded maglite would have over a comparably priced LED-original light (Streamlight Jr.?)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
mrichelo said:
Hello. I've been reading CPF for probably a year now. Just registered recently. Glad I found an outlet for my flashlight obsession. My friends think I'm a little weird.

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been thinking thinking about this same question. The Diamond replacement LEDs look like a good way to go. I'm also gonna get a UCL lens. My question, reflectors... what types of replacement reflectors are available and where to get them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to CPF. It's nice to have another New Jerseyian. Oh yea, what Exit ?

flashlite

Enlightened
One of the best features of the Mini Mag is its ability to focus IMO. I like the Tektite L-1 LED replacement bulb because you don't lose that feature like you do with many other LED replacements. It might not be as bright as some others, but much more useful IMO.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Evidently I read the following sentence, from QuickBeam's review, too literally:

"This means that you can replace the incandescent bulb in anything from a 1 to 6 cell flashlight with an EverLED bulb and gain the benefits of a semi-regulated LED light source."