I Chased a Robber Today!

Bradlee

Enlightened
Today while I was at work in a local Toy store in our small but growing town, I saw a man jump through the glass door of the women's clothing shop accross the street. Just like in the movies, he jumped and smashed through the upper part of the door. I bolted out of the store and chased him to the parking lot of a pub where he was trying to "comandere" the use of an SUV. All of the occupants, however, were resisting the theivery of their vehicle. After some minor scuffling he managed to get the keys and got into the driver's seat. I jumped into the passangers seat and tried to grab the keys, as he didn't appear to have a weapon (or he would have used it by then). He obviously didn't think he was getting anywhere and took off, keys in hand, but without a vehicle. Last I saw he was running towards the town's main street. Keep in mind, this whole thing happened at 6:00pm on the town's main street, so there are probably a dozen witnesses who can give the police (who arrived very quickly) his description. Wow! Not a typical day's work at our Toy Store!

-Brad

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
! pretty intense and dangerous but I probably would have done the same as I've been in situtations like that and know how to defend/aprehend people.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bravo Brad! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif
We need more "Hands on" good guys!
I have actuated 2 seperate "Citizen's Arrests" and it was fun!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bradlee

Enlightened
Yeah, my mom was kind of annoyed that I would chase him, but you don't really think too long or hard in situations like that.

Beamhead, wow 2 seperate citizen's arrests! I'm not sure how thant kind of thing works up here in Canada, but I'm definately not strong enough or experienced enough to physically subdue someone 10 years older than me.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brad, The first one was easy as I only had to detain the dipstick for a short time, the police actually had me file the Citizens Arrest as I was the only witness to what took place.
As for the second well it was not pretty.

I am probably too old to do it again but you never know until it happens.

BTW..Citizens Arrest is a serious matter, If you don't testify or try and drop the charges, the DA will arrest you(the filer of the Citizens Arrest).

I feel as if I am hijacking your thread so I apoligize and once again applaud your "Bravery and sense of Civic Duty" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
Way to go, Brad! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Glad to see that no one was hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad that none of the GOOD folks was hurt. The robber OTOH.....

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
A guy here in Boston just did the same thing and ended up getting stabbed to death. Unless someones life is in danger, it's just not worth it these days. Another kid in Boston last year was also stabbed to death trying to stop a shoplifter at the CVS he worked at. I don't blame your mom for being upset with you. None the less, glad you're ok!

Bradlee

Enlightened
Yeah, maybe not the 'smartest' thing to do, but since he was trying for like 45 seconds to get the keys to the vehicle and had not pulled a weapon, I figured that it was a pretty sure bet he didn't have one. Like I said, though, you just don't think.

Beamhad, no hijack at all, thanks for the info.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Glad you're OK, and kudos for standing up against the bad guys.

My friend's dad was shot by some "$"!@# when he tried to stop him ("$"!@#) the from raping a young lady. The BG was never caught... Doing "the right thing" is risky, though, and I tend to have second-thoughts every time, especially once you have a family.

Having said that, I must admit that I "kinda" jumped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif on a guy to help a police officer finish an arrest... I'm sure the officer could've handled it by himself soon enough, but I couldn't just sit by the car and watch.

cy

Flashaholic
aprox. 2 years ago, a teenager working at local grocery store chased three other teenagers who had stolen a few 12'paks of beer.

He was shot to death behind the building over a few beers...

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I saw somebody trying to commit rape or murder, I hope I would have the decency to try to do something about it, even if it ended in my death. Some risks are more important than the actuality that could possibly be avoided.

Bradlee

Enlightened
What senseless violence!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I too hope that I would take a serious risk if it could help to stop a murder or rape, as bindibadgi suggests.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I applaud you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

And I sincerly hope I will have what it takes if the time comes! I can pretty much tell you if it's rape or murder all I'll be seeing is RED! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Kanai

Newly Enlightened
I like to here stories like this. I for one, will get involved if somebody's life is in danger. I believe that the more we as citizens get involved in our communities with situations like this, the bad guys will think twice. I speak from experience. I once got the crapped beat out of me by a local gang here (Sons of Samoa) for stepping in during a beating of some one else (yes,I called 911 first). Maybe I saved his life, maybe he would have lived anyway. But if he did die and all I did was call 911 and wait I think I would feel kind of bad. But thats just me.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good job!

I have read up on laws and actually talked to a few cops on the beat. I can carry a knife with a blade that is 4 inches or less. Cold Steel here I come! Surely doesn't beat my trusty bayonet though.

Anyway, I would think less lethal is key, a 2 ounce can of OC can work wonders on even the biggest of people. In most fights people would back away and take a stance. Can't really do anything with a gun when someone just straight up gets in your face and deflects the gun away (I may be a small dude but I have played mercy with guys with 50-75 pounds on me and I walked away smiling) basically just act quickly, violently, and with a lot of agression to subdue the robber/rapist.

OC saved my life. I would either be in prison or dead without it. But thats another story.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
aprox. 2 years ago, a teenager working at local grocery store chased three other teenagers who had stolen a few 12'paks of beer.

He was shot to death behind the building over a few beers...

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, the good guy is always at a serious disadvantage in a confrontation like this. The good guy is unlikely to be armed and would certainly never consider killing someone over some beers. The same thing cannot be assumed about the bad guys.

Brad, good for you for taking some action and also for assesing the situation first regarding the risk of injury to yourself. I'm glad everything turned out ok. If everyone were like you, the bad guys wouldn't be able to get away with anything.

greenLED

Flashaholic
We do need more citizen action, but let's all be extra safe and within the law out there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

reefphilic

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Well done Bradlee! But do be careful. Don't know how common is firearm in your country.

Many years ago when I was a tiny 5ft tall teenage. I witness two huge sized bodybuilders punching an old, small built bus driver because of some misunderstanding and they were the one at fault. More then ten passengers including me were watching the whole process and nobody came forward to help the poor driver. Knowing that I will be beaten up if I interfered, I can only watch them walked down the street in a leisurely pace feeling f#@$ed @% deep in my mind.

So when I came across a case involving the outrage of modesty against a lady a few months ago, I stepped forward to nab the offender.

If it is a murder or rape case, it will depends on situation but I'll probably try to help. At least I'll call the police because I know that I won't be able to forgive myself if I do nothing, based on my previous experience. Anyway, crimes involving firearm are very rare here so it is "not too dangerous" to help most of the time.

Latest posts