modding the L4

RDA

Newly Enlightened
hey guys, i have an L4 on the way (my first surefire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) and i was wandering, is there any nessessary mods i can do to it? like i have heard of the tail piece being changed for a 2 stage switch etc...

also, im in the UK so where could i get these mods from if there are any? thanks

makar

Enlightened
the two stage switch is called McE2s and is made from Mc Gizmo. Check
his forum for further information. IMHO this switch is the only useful mod on a l4. the l4 is a classic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

clays

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I just got the L4 yesterday (my first Surefire, too), and initially during the day I wasn't "wowed" all that much. Last night I took it outside in the yard after dark and HOLY CRAP! The L4 is a freakishly awesome little bugger! If anything, the 2 stage switch would be all that I could ever imagine wanting to accessorize on this light. When you get it, go outside that first night and try it out!! It's amazing!!!

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
PILAS!!
The light gathers so much speed in the "fun" department when you stop paying for it!
You L4 guys are all the same, brag, brag, brag.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Robban

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
clays said:
Hey, I just got the L4 yesterday (my first Surefire, too), and initially during the day I wasn't "wowed" all that much. Last night I took it outside in the yard after dark and HOLY CRAP! The L4 is a freakishly awesome little bugger! If anything, the 2 stage switch would be all that I could ever imagine wanting to accessorize on this light. When you get it, go outside that first night and try it out!! It's amazing!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly like my first experience with it. I first tried it out when it was still rather bright outside and was a bit bummed that it was so weak. Then I tried it after dark... dang! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

attowatt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Robban said:
Then I tried it after dark... dang! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this light so much, I bought another

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif BRAG, BRAG,BRAG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Jim

ob1

Newly Enlightened
L4 rox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree... the L4 is pretty close to perfect out of the box. The only mod I would consider is a two-stage tailswitch. However, I usually carry mine completely stock with the Z57 clickie, since I usually have a Aleph2 I use if I need lower-level lighting.

clays

Newly Enlightened
Ya know, I've had my new L4 for the week now and have noticed one thing I think could be better, or maybe modded with a different piece. I'm not crazy about the clickie being so easy to activate. Don't get me wrong, my clickie switch on it works unbelievably smooth and I like that, but it works SO easily that if I want to put the light in my pocket or in any kind of a bag where something might contact the button, I need to lock the button out. Locking the button out by unscrewing it a half turn is a slight pain, but I can and will get used to it. I do wish, though, that it could be locked an unlocked by some way more "mechanical", more like a rotating click type switch (like an 1/8 inch turn) that turns hard and wouldn't get accidentally turned. It could click counter-clockwise for lock out and click clockwise for unlocked. I know this is my first Surefire, but what's the point of a rugged tactical light having a delicate button on the end that is so easily activated that it needs to be locked out in many situations by unscrewing the whole thing an annoying half turn, rendering the light slower to use when you want it? It seems like a lock out method that could be used quickly with the same hand that is holding the light, by a firm click type turn to the right for activation, instead of needing to maneuver that tailcap a full half rotation, would be much easier and faster. The button should stay as is, with momentary and constant on features. My only grumble is the locking-out method. Then again, I'm a surefire newbie so gimme a chance to get used to it and my opinion on the LOTC may change here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif