Has Anyone else got this AmondoTech Special

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the AmondoTech 3x3 watt + 3x1 watt + NikolaTesla mod kit special a couple of weeks ago.

Amondotech Special

It started as a CPF exclusive. Now I believe it is on the AmondoTech web site.

I am very pleased with the special and was wondering if any other CPF members got it, and what they thought.
Neither of these lights will replace my Elektrolumens Tri-Star phazer as my main "bigger" light. Primarily because they do not have a momentary on feature and my 4C Phazer is much smaller. At the same time the three power levels make them more suitable to certain applications. Without the mod the or special the 3x1 watt is definitely the better deal.
When I got the lights, Wayne at AmondoTech said he is real serious about becoming known in the flashlight business. When I was looking at Nuwai's web site today I noticed AmondoTech is currently listed as their only "dealer" link.
I know there are other dealers, but he must be pretty tight with Nuwai to be on their web site.

Nuwai

That is pretty impressive for a relatively new presence in the flashlight business.

I digress, back to my original question.
Has anybody else got this special?
What do you think about these lights?

I personally am glad I got them as a special with 1 mod kit included. If I had purchased the 3x1 watt alone I would have been pleased.
If I had purchased the 3x3 watt alone I would have been rather disappointed. The 3x3 watt really needs the mod kit to show its full illuminating capability.
The 3x1 watt is nearly as bright as the 3x3 watt when both are unmodified. It also has a much longer run time. I keep them both filled with the NikolaTesla mod kits (The one that was included and the one I made.) and NiMH C's around the house and will probably dump Alks into them when friends need a real solid loaner light.
I may also fiddle around with different spring options to see if I can get the tail cap to have a momentary on function. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather then start another thread I thought I would just add a question to this one.
The current switches in both models go 1 LED - 2 LED's - 3 LED's - Off in typical Chinese reverse clicky fashion.
Is there any way to reverse the entire setup?
I would prefer 3 LED's - 2 LED's - 1 LED - OFF in normal clicky fashion.
That way these lights could have a momentary high beam.
I know some people have completely taken the EL version, and I believe also the 1 watt, apart. That was to change LED's. I would rather change the circuitry but do not know how or if it can be done.
I did call Amondotech and tell them ideally these lights would be much better, for my purposes, with the switch configuration mentioned above and made in a 4C format to begin with. I prefer bright with reasonable runtime to not real bright and long run time. I also asked that since they seem to work pretty close to Nuwai these days to find out what is up with the "Reverse Clicky format". I even found a thread on CPF lamenting use of reverse clicky in Chinese lights and asked it be shown to Nuwai.

If these lights can't be modified like I want it is no real big deal as they are still nice, bright, solid, and very worth the price I paid.
I was just wondering if any of you electronics aces would know of a way to do this mod.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I'm not an electronics ace by any means, so can't address your question. However, I did order this special last night from AmondoTech. My past dealings with them have been very good, BTW.

Being, in fact, a very "unhandy" guy, I'm wondering if there is any place to buy a 2d NikolaTesla mod kit?

Thanks for any info.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once you get the special you will have the pattern for the second kit.
I think that was Waynes idea, to sell one kit purchased from NikolaTesla with each special so NikolaTesla would get credit and compensation for the idea.
Then the purchaser has the pattern necessary to make the second kit.
I actually purchased different springs for my kits that make putting the tailcaps back on easier. That issue may be fixed with future kits.
If you own a hacksaw you can do the mod (If you don't, hacksaws are cheap). If you have any quesions after you get the lights just PM me. As I mentioned before, even if I cannot do my electronics mod they are still real nice lights. They, like the rest of my lights, get lots of use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, mtbkndad, for that very nice offer. I'll probably take you up on the PM when the lights come.I went ahead and sprang for 8 of the Titanium 5000 C cells and a Vanson charger. Spent more than I intended, but will probably sell 1 of the lights after I play around with both a bit.

Thanks again.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAustin

You are welcome. When you get your special could you post your impressions. I am curious to know what others think of theirs. Even if the "others" is only one at the moment.
Also, do not let the flashlights rub against each other. While the knurling is not rough or sharp to the touch is does a good job of rubbing the Type 2 anodizing off in spots if you just throw both lighs into a backpack like I did last weekend.
Of course, I do not mind the used look since I bought them for that purpose, rough use.

Take Care,
mtbkndad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

edwardv

Newly Enlightened
I take it that the purpose of the NikolaTesla mod kit is to increase the output of these lights by using four C cells instead of three D cells. Does anyone know if 3/4 size D cells are made? I know you can get 1/2 size D cells, but six 1/2 D cells is likely too much voltage. I wonder; would using four 1/2 size D cells with a dummy cell give you more capacity than using four C cells?

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMH C cells are easy to get and relatively inexpensive with a decent capacity, mine are 5,000 mAh. You really want NiMH batteries to maximize the potential of the kit.
I looked at several sites and did not see NiMH sub or comact D cells.
For me there are 3 advantages of using the mod kit.

1. Both lights are significantly brighter
2. NiMH C's save a lot on battery cost and they are fairly cheap to replace and easy to find when they finally wear out.
3. The kit already comes with the lights, very convenient.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

luminaria

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mtbkndad said:
The current switches in both models go 1 LED - 2 LED's - 3 LED's - Off in typical Chinese reverse clicky fashion.
Is there any way to reverse the entire setup?
I would prefer 3 LED's - 2 LED's - 1 LED - OFF in normal clicky fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

To change the order should be very easy to do. Look at the switch:

3x1switch.jpg

I do not remember exactly if the switch rotates 1-2-3 or 3-2-1. Anyway, what you want is to exchange states 1 and 3, and for that you just need to unsolder switch legs 1 and 3, and then use wires to exchange the connections.

However remember that openning this light is not a trivial task.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
luminaria,

Thanks for the info., that makes the hassle of opening these babies up worthwhile for me. Other people may like the current order just fine. I really like momentary on. If I cannot have that I would rather have instant on at high power.
Would you by chance know were a regular clicky switch could be procured to complete the change?
Also, how did your mod go, and what do you think about your light?

Take Care,
mtbkndad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm another of the apparently few who've picked them up, but didn't open the boxes 'til today. I just noticed that the PVC pipe needs to be a bit longer than 7" to not rattle, so i'll have to cut two more when i get a chance. The center texturing should have gone down the barrel at least another half an inch, but it seems well put together and isn't hard on the eyes, so i'm satisfied. (My other flashlight is an LS3, so standards are pretty high around here.)

I'm strapped for cash, so i'll be using Maha 1800mAh AAs in C-shell adapters for a while since my camera won't need them 'til i get it fixed from when the wind knocked the tripod over. I'm curious to see what the run times will be. Maha makes good cells, but this'll be a definite torture test for AAs.

I think you'd need a new switch for momentary on even if you didn't mind it being reverse-clicky since there's so little play before the trigger. Momentary on isn't very important to me, but i can definitely see the advantage of going 3-2-1. I may one day get the urge to swap the contact points, but in the meantime, i'll just click real fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I wonder how many clicks the switch has in it. Hopefully it's twice as many as a single-level flashlight.

Since i don't need a throw light and a lesser-throw light, i'm thinking of buying a 55mm LDF window from flashlightlens and turning the 3x1 into a flood. It should *just* fit inside the end of the barrel.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the 3x1watt can handle 4 C alkalines? I'm thinking of giving it as a gift to someone who doesn't have - and wouldn't really be interested in the maintenance of - nimh. The 3x1watt is decent with 3 Ds, but i'd definitely rather give him the upgrade if it would last well.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally got around to trying out the AAs and the 55mm LDF window in the 3x1, and, well, i was hoping for more.

The AAs were a complete dissapointment. They were drained to ~1v in what seemed to be a matter of minutes. Obviously AAs aren't what you use if you're going direct drive. There must be more than simply a larger capacity where Cs are concerned for them to be an oft-used solution. Do they have more internal resistence?

The 55mm LDF window from flashlightlens worked pretty well. To be honest, i was hoping for an end-to-end flood resembling a 5mm LED array, but even based on the pictures it's noticeable, and due to my overexposing to make sure i got the surround/spill, the light looks less gradual than it is.

Before:

44936857.jpg

After:
44936858.jpg

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
archangel,
I am using 5000 mAh Powerizer's and have been having very good luck.
What is the mAh rating of the AA's you are using?
I am going to try 5000 mAh Titaniums soon.

With the kit and Powerizers my 3x1 watt is is not proportionately as much brighter as the 3x3 watt with the kit and Powerizers. That is because it was not under driven as much in the first place.

I would be inclined to try the 4 Alks in it and see what the run time and brightness are like. If it is not much brighter then 3D alks right away then just give the flashlight with the kit and let him buy NiMH batteries if he wants them in it. It is a nice very long run time light with 3D's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
(sigh) OK, ummm... ignore all that. Failing to understand why i got such crappy run-time, i did everything over, and this time i got what i was expecting. My 3x3w now trumps my LS4 and it made it through five ~5min sessions with no noticeable drop. Plus the head got nice and warm as double verification that it's actually working. Either the batteries weren't as charged as i thought or the spring wasn't in quite the right place - since i need a tiny one for the AAs, it's a bit of an art. I hope it's the spring, otherwise it seems they'll need to be fresh from the charger, which would be a bother. You can keep the Cs in there for a while and they still give the expected brightness, right?

BTW, i'm using maha powerex 1800s, though they managed 1900 when drained at 500mAh. I plan on going the C route when i get funds together, but since i'll have to pick up a new charger too, it'll be a while.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the 3x3w seemed about as bright as my LS4 i figured it was time to end the test so the batteries didn't get too low. I didn't write down the start time, but i imagine i got at least another 25 minutes. Right out of the torch all four measured between 1.01 and 1.05v; after sitting for a while they all rose to between 1.12 and 1.15v - not too shabby for some old cells.

(smirk) My Nuwai were expecting my Excursion to be jealous, but he knows he can take them both in a fight and then drown them for good measure.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
My NiMH C's have been sitting in my two Nuwai's for close to a month now and still perform very well. These are spare/ loaner lights for me so they do spend most of their time charged and waiting to be used. I do take them out for the fun of it when I need to use a light and want a little variety.
I will run them down in about a week and recharge them. For that matter My EL Phazer has C's that were charged at the same time and I is still doing well.
That light is also a 3x3 watt with 4 C's. It has lost 500 lux at one meter in the last month and gets regular use. 3000 down to 2500. I don't generally recharge it till it is around 2200 lux @ one meter. I don't measure it every time, rather I did measure it the first couple times when I noticed the light had significantly dropped to see what level my eyes clearly saw the difference.
Rechargeable C's have been working very well for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wanted to add that while the 16 june picture gives a good idea of the impact the LDF window had, it doesn't do it justice. I finally got a chance to actually use it and it's bloody gorgeous. It felt like i was looking *through* the dark instead of *into* the dark. Because there isn't any demarcation between beam and no-beam, you don't feel that you're gaining the ability to see in front of you at the expense of seeing to the sides.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, The only flashlight I have that lights better to the sides is the Elektrolumens Tri-Star Phazer (3x3 watt with Fraen Tri-optic). But both of these will out throw it with the mod. The 3x1 watt barely and the 3x3 watt quite a bit. I noticed AmondoTech still has some of these I am suprised more people did not get them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
My LS4 uses a Fraen; i'm a big fan of the optic. It does a good job of balancing throw and coverage. I imagine a Quad with four Fraen - assuming you can fit four Fraen in a D Mag - would be pretty impressive. And yeah, i too expected them to go quickly. It's a shame i hadn't known there wouldn't be a rush.