Inova XO the best solution?

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
I currently have an Inova X5 5 led light. I like the long battery life but want greater range and brightness since I used it more outdoors now. I have a Surefire E2E as a tactical light I use in the home for SHTF situation already.

looks like the XO is about 6" long. Is there anything better. Durability, brightness, battery life that is better then the XO? 2hours and less is to short. and the XO has 4 hours of battery life.

This is my first time here, but it looks like there is lots of information here.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say the XO3 is better. Or if you can, go for a SureFire KL3+P,D,C series body. That thing throws 1000 extra lux plus a longer runtime at the same beam pattern and size.

Edit: The SF route will be more expensive, but well worth it IMO.

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
I have conflicting numbers here. Can anyone help me out?

from flashlightreviews

T2 numbers
Throw Lux - T2: ~ 725 at beam center. (26.93 Comparison Chart equivalent)
Overall Output - T2: ~ 1720 (17.20 Comparison Chart equivalent
battery life 5 hours.

flashlightreviews.com for XO

Throw Lux - ~ 884 at beam center. (29.73 Comparison Chart equivalent)

overall output - ~ 2000 (20.00 Comparison Chart equivalent
battery life - 4 hours

BRIGHTGUY.COM

T2 - High-powered 2 watt lifetime LED, 40 lumens

XO - Light Output 32 Lumens

How can the XO be less powered?

cslinger

Enlightened
I have two T2s and they are virtually identical to the XO. They have a clickie tailcap, a nice one at that, and knurling.

Great lights. Awesome runtime to brightness, great throw very reasonably priced and near indestructible. As long as you are ok with a light that is more spot than flood you will love it. There is enough spill to read close up but these are primary long throwing spot lights. A ceiling bounce will, however, really light up the room.

Chris

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
Either one will outperform my X5 in most applications.

How loud is the click of the button? and how much pressure does it take to press the button? I just don't want it to come on in my holster.

JohnF

Enlightened
You will not hear the 'click'. The X0 stays in my tool case for work - long battery life, bright, and cheap. A great light. Overall, I like it better than my T3 by a good margin. It throws better than my SF L2 if throw is what you are after. Did I mention that the batteries last a long time and it is bright and white?

jsf

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
How much pressure does it take for the push button to turn on in the T2 light? can the pressure be changed like in the X5 and the XO?

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
The X0 and T2 are pretty much in a class by themselves at this price point. If you want a light that will run for 4-5h and provide decent throw, you really can't go wrong picking either of these lights.

Surefire's L series lights have more output than the XO/T2 but have less throw and are extremely expensive. Inova's XO3 and T3 are the have much more throw than the X0 and T2 but only run for two hours.

The lumens values on Brightguy look like marketing BS. Inova does not appear to be entirely honest in the figures they give for the lumen output of their lights.

The activation pressure on the T2 cannot be adjusted but the switch can be disabled by unscrewing the tailcap by a half turn. I have, however, never had any problems with either my T2 or T3 coming on accidentally.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
CyByte, my T2 has a pretty stiff button, especially in cold weather. Hard to imagine it coming on accidentally. The activation pressure doesn't seem to be adjustable; it's the same when twisted back to almost-lock-out mode. It's not a dainty light, but I like its ruggedness.

Yep, the T2's Throw/Output stats are similar to the XO. They're both mid-range "Throwers." However, I, too, wondered about that slight (10%) advantage of the XO over the T2 per FlashlightReviews' tests. Apparently, it's just normal LED variation, but maybe Sigman or someone can clarify this. The light-to-light production differences, if any, probably aren't visible to the human eye.

For outside use (i.e., walks) I've found the T2's knurling to offer better grip than the XO or X5 form, but that's just personal. I've dropped my T2 (from 3 ft.) onto concrete and it never burped.

The T3's a fine light (even more throw), but the T2's long run time clinched it for me. I use it as the Spot-beam alternative to my SF KL3 (my outdoors Flood light -- kinda like an X5T on steroids) per Mags' good suggestion. However, you could buy 2 or 3 T2's for what a SF KL3 + 6P/C2 will cost ya.

Timson

Enlightened
CyByte,

When I was looking for a reasonable priced, rugged EDC to carry in my belt pouch I was also concerned about the tail switch activating - when squeezing in and out of cars etc.

Plumped for the T3 (Same tail switch as all the Inova 'T' series).

The 'lock out' mode - 1/2 anticlockwise turn on the tailcap stops the switch from activating.
This works a treat.
The Inova is proving reliable and hard wearing and performs better than many much larger lights.

Tim

wquiles

Flashaholic
I love my X0. It is the light I leave in my car for several reasons: great price, nearly indestructible, water resistant, long running, good trow for signaling, bright, and white beam.

In my wife's car I keep a Brinkmann Maxfire (the $20 2xcell incandecent copy of the G2) and it probably has a better, more usefull beam, but it is not as long running nor is built as beefy as the X0, so if I where you I would probably pay a little bit more and get the X0.

Will

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad to hear you like your T3 Timson. I decided to get the T2 and purchased that along with a holster from brightguy that fits it that has a snap closure. Thank you for the tip to stop the push button. for walking through the woods and on the farms a push button is much handier then my tacticle light because twisting it all the time becomes a chore. My X5 is one hell of a light. Never kept me in the dark. I hope the new T2 will be just as reliable.

JohnF

Enlightened
I own 4 LED's - If I had to get rid of 3 of them, this is the order it would take place:
1) SF L2: Wanted a very bright semi-flood. It does that well, but is the least used. Low power setting is slightly green. Eats batteries if bright setting is used a lot.
2) Coast Lenser (the 3 AAA model, single LED): Surprisingly bright, batteries last forever. Tail switch is slightly flakey, but still a great light. Great white color.
3) Inova T03: Wanted a long throw light, and for sure it does that. Too bright for close work. Battery life OK. Color a tad on the blue side.
A tie for the 2 I couldn't do without:
HDS Basic 60 GT: Great beam shape, versitile, small. White as white gets. Best clickie feel ever. Always in a pocket.
Inova X0: Long battery life, bright, white. Solid as a rock. Cheap, slightly wider beam than the T3, but still a spot for sure. Always in my tool case for work, used every day. Feels good in the hand, perfect size for a work light.

Kind of funny, price doesn't always relate to satisfaction. Anyone want to buy a nearly unused, perfect SF L2? It would make a nice wood rasp with that sharp deep texture.

John F