Opinions needed for my first LED! L2, L4 or L5?

alexthehobbyist

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I am not relatively new here as I have been reading through the CPR for a while now, but never really bothered to register and share my input on flashlights... but here I am, and glad to be amongst a lot of people who share the same views on flashlights as I do. Anyways it would very much helpful if you guys can help me decide whether I should buy a L2, L4 or L5? I have been doing a lot of research in the forums here, especially in the LED section of the forums, and the L4 seems very popular for everyday use and for a lot of the CPR members here. Fortunately enough, right now I am using a E2e I got last August...I was pretty skeptical about Surefire, but I decided to pick up a e2e… well actually, I really wanted to pick up the E2D, but since I was a newbie at flashlights, I couldn't tell the difference between the e2e and e2d when I was at the store, and since the e2e looked like the e2d, I bought it instead… I was pretty mad that I picked up the wrong flashlight at first, but now I love my e2e... Although I love my e2e to death, I like many of you, need more flashlights
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif Well... this will be my second one actually ...but hey... you gotta start somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Anyways back on topic... I have around $200-250 in Cdn dollars... roughly $160 - $200 US to spend on a new flashlight. I would pick up a M3 just for the sake of it being a sweet flashlight, but that is too expensive… so I am looking into a led light. I am looking into the L2 for the two stager, but the length of that light is the only thing holding me back from getting it… 6 inches in the pocket… not a EDC I don't think… On the other hand the L4 is a good relative size, a EDC… good for multiple-purpose use… and the L5… I didn't find much on that light in the forums, so I was wondering what LED light between these would be good? I know they are ALL good, but what light would you chose if you were at the store? I was also thinking about purchasing an e2c adaptor and then buying the kt-1 turbo head on top for a cool spot beam.
Also another question, which of the 3 lights has the furthest throw? And which has the most intense beam?
As well, whats the major advantages and disadvantages between them?

Alright thanks for your help!

rscanady

Enlightened
L2 (it EDC's fine despite its length, the location of the clip is great and the little bit of extra body doesnt make it so top heavy, I thought it might be a bit long too but I EDC it always even in shorts) , then L4, buy both!

Ryan

jtice

Flashaholic
Re: Opinions needed for my first LED! L2, L4 or L5

I know its not on your list, but,

You may be able to find a U2 in the b/s/t section for just a bit over $200 US
I couldnt be happier with mine, 6 brightness levels, and being able to use cheap 18650 cells safely, were big selling points to me.

Here what I thought of the U2.
http://www.jtice.com/review/lights/u2/

The L4 is very nice also, its alot of light for its size, but it has a much more flood beam.
I use a 2 stage switch on mine, so at least you can get 2 levels of output from it.
Heres what I thought of the L4
http://www.jtice.com/review/lights/l4

wquiles

Flashaholic
I would recommend the L4 for flood and daily use (EDC) and the L5 if you want a little bit more trow.

I have an L4, and I think it is the most versatile here as everything is self contained in the head and it is designed for the smaller "E" body. With the right body, you can use 1xcr123, 1xPILA 150s, 2xcr123, 1xPILA 168s, 1x17670 bare cell, and 1xrechargable CR123. When you combine any of these with the two-level McGizmo switch, you got the best combo for daily use (my opinion, as that is what I EDC).

I don't own the L2 nor the L5, but the KL5 head gives you similar flexibility in that you can use it in several 2 and 3 cell "C" body combinations, depending on the "C" body you use, and even more combos if you use the C-to-E adapters. PLUS, you can bore-out the L5's body to hold the AWESOME 18650 2400mAH bare cell (what I run in my U2), if you are carefull with these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Will

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
The L4 would be my choice for EDC because of it's small size (about the same size as E2e) and it runs on Pilas.

The L2 is regulated on both high and low and it has about 8 hours constant brightness on low before it beginning to dim. Of the lights you listed the L2 would be my choice if I needed long runtime.

The L5 has a slightly tighter beam than L2 or L4, but it's still a close to medium range light. It takes Pilas. It is larger in diameter than either the L4 or L2.

The L2 on high has slightly more light out put than the L4, but you have to look close to see any difference.

If you are going to use a TurboHead, I recommend a 3 cell Surefire. The M3T or a SRTH on your choice of classic 9 volt Surefire lights.

I prefer either L4 or L2 over the L5. Don't overlook the Surefire A2.

Luman

Newly Enlightened
It depends on your intended use and if you're after throw or more flood. I'm assuming that you are looking for a general-purpose EDC LED light.
I don't have a L2 for the same reason you stated. It's too long for me. I do have a L4 and a L5. The output seems about the same for the two but the larger and heavier L5 has a bigger reflector that yields a tighter beam. I put a 22-ohm two-stage Aleph flat tail cap on my L4 and it one of my favorite lights. It's bright, white and has variable output. In fact I liked it so much I bought a KL4 head, an Aleph 2x123 power pack, and another two-stage tail cap. However, when I got the Kl4 head and screwed it on the body, it had a horrible greenish tint. I must have won the Luxeon lottery with my L4 and L5. They are both snow white in comparison. I also have a "Error SF E2L w/5-watt Luxeon" from the Tactical Warehouse that I put a 30-ohm two-stage Aleph trim tail cap on and run R123's from the Battery Station in it. It is also very white and bright with the rechargeable 123's. I think Tactical Warehouse still has some available.
Here's my advice. If I were only going to have one LED flashlight for EDC it would be the HDS EDC Basic 60. I got one about a month ago and EDC it in a Ripoffs CO-37 clip-on holster. It is my favorite flashlight by a considerable margin. It is much smaller than the L4 and L5, it is extremely versatile with four levels of (white!) light output, and it's in your price range.
Kevin at the Battery station (www.batterystation.com) sells the Basic 60 with 10 batteries for $150. He should be getting another shipment of HDS EDC's in a couple of weeks.

John

RPM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forums. My first led was a L2 and I still consider it my favorite 2 cell light. Two stage is very practical and the beam delivers a nice wall of light. If the size doesn't bother you, I would go for it. Although I edc a single cell light, I prefer the "purchase" or grip you get with a two cell light. Have fun with you're decision! Welcome aboard!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

L4 for interoperability with the Surefire Modular System.

Think of a light lego set where you can build your own.. exchange heads, exchange lamps, exchange technologies (LED vs incandescent, rechargeable vs lithium primary), exchange switch systems (click-on vs twist vs pressure switch for WeaponLights). The L4 is one of the better places to start.

Of course you should NOT get a L4 because the modular system will suck your bank account dry faster than you can say "Put it on my card.." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast

My opinion says go with the L2. I feel its fine for EDC despite the length, and having a low option that is FULLY regulated for 7+ hours is ideal. The 15 lumen output on low is PLENTY of light for any indoor task I feel, and even does well outdoors in pitch dark at close range. The 100 lumen high mode will up your range to medium range in the pitch dark, but it is NOT fully regulated (it has so-so partial regulation) so you won't have the full 100 lumens the whole hour. On my L2s, I typically get bright light for 45 minutes on high.

I am a HUGE fan of the L5, but I don't think the 1 hour runtime is enough if you are only going to have one led. I also am a fan of the L4, but same story (not enough runtime). I hear you can get a switch for the L4 to allow a lower setting to extend runtime though....something to consider.

rscanady

Enlightened

Like I said earlier, get both!
Im have an L2 and working on getting an L41

Ryan

rscanady

Enlightened

Like I said earlier, get both!
Im have an L2 and working on getting an L41

Ryan

scudinc

Enlightened

Get a KL1 head if you want throw. The L5 has only a fair amount of throw, and the L2 and L4 are purely flood lights. An E2C and a KL6 would also work, though they would cost about 4 times as much.

wquiles

Flashaholic

The E2C will allow you to use "C" series heads in the smaller "E" series bodies. However, the E2C will not work with the KL6. The KL6 only works in the M3, M4, and M6 that use the much larger "M" bodies.

Will