Is the beam of the U2 really that bad?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember in another thread someone showing the U2s' beam next to a L6s' beam and the the U2 beam looked TERRIBLE in comparison. Add that to the fact that I see a few U2s' for sale in the BST forum and that leads me to believe the U2 isn't all that great. Am I wrong? Was the beamshot pics a fluke? I believe the title of the thread (by me) was "Convince me not to buy a L5"...

nexro

Enlightened
What do you mean by bad? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
If you mean throw, the L6 definately does a better job. At close to medium distances, I prefer to use my U2. The brightness selection dial comes in really handy.

Flashlight Enthusiast
*shrug*

The beam on BOTH my U2s is BEATIFUL. No articacts, very smooth beam. Offers a great compromise of flood and throw. Define what you mean by "bad" beam please.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
My U2 has a great beam, and the dimmer is really nice. No artifacts. Of course, my L6 has a great beam, too, but a little more of a thrower.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
In that other thread I mentioned, someone had a beamshot of a U2 next to a L6 and lets just say the U2 beam looked "sloppy" in comparison...

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have two U2's and three KL6's and the U2 beam is not sloppy in the slightest.

The U2's beams look the same the the KL5 beam (I have a few of those too).

Bottomline:
There is nothing wrong with the U2's beam.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. Could've been a fluke I guess. Now if they just get that output up to 100 Lumens again, we'll be all set.

wquiles

Flashaholic
My U2 has a very nice beam, but it does not match the trow of my L6 - which is to be expected given the much deeper reflector in the L6.

Neither one (nor my KL4) has a bad beam - they just have different reflectors for different applications.

Will

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sloppy is a very generalized word. Can you be more specific as to what is wrong with the U2 beam?

My U2 looks just fine. It was shimmed to get rid of the 'donut' in the beam and looks great after the adjustment.

cdf

Enlightened
The U2 (new baby ) is nice in the beam dept , I dont think it as nice as the L6 , but very acceptable in real world use .