Green Star for my Q-III, need input!

Niteowl

Enlightened
Left the window open the other day and got an idea. I want to put a green star in my Q-III. Now, I myself am a little green when it comes to stars, bin codes, Vf, and related thoughts. Having recently managed to crack open my Q-III, I find it has a SYAJ star in it. It's not bad, a tad blue/violet plenty bright. I'm happy with the runtime.

One green star I'm looking at is a S3MG.

S.......52-60 lumens
3.......530-535 wavelength
M......3.99-4.23 Vf (3.27-3.51 for my SYAJ)
G......green color

S- looks OK. Close in brightness to SYAJ?
3- The wavelength means little to me, any recommendations for outdoor use? Does it really matter?
M- Vf is one of my concerns, lower runtime, compatibility with stock circuit?
G- Well, it's green, just what I'm looking for.

This will be the first time I've done something like this. What can I expect from the above mentioned star? Does someone have a better recommendation. Any input would be appreciated.

Mark

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd try to get one with a better Vf for a small light like the QIII since it doesn't have big C/D cells, the runtime will be affected quite a bit.

3 is ok, it's more yellow green than traffic lights but not noticebly yellow. S flux is fine it will be plenty bright because it's a solid color.

Niteowl

Enlightened
That's the input I'm looking for, thanks.

Which direction do I want to go in for a better green color, a higher or lower number?

Mark

Niteowl

Enlightened
That confirms what I managed to glean from going back to my chart and my limited memory of the color spectrum. It looks like I want a "high" cyan (6) or a "low" green (1). S6JC or S1JG, something like that. I have no idea how common they are, but looking is half the fun!

Thanks guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for a green color bin 2. I had a V2T LuxV once and it was pure green. Nice color. Actually I wouldn't mind having a yellow green luxeon though.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Niteowl

Enlightened
Here's one I found at Luxeonstar.com . It's rated at 530nm on the spec pdf. Seems like it might be what I want. $23 delivered though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mark

Looking back, maybe I should keep looking for a lower wavelength as LED recommended. This is the only green one they had.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonFantic has some green ones, I think the Vf was K which is jsut a bit higher than J which is probably good enough.

I don't think you'd notice the difference between a 2 and a 3 though. Maybe it would look yellow if you had a bin 5-6 though.

Niteowl

Enlightened
I finally got my hands on a green star. A T3JG, not exactly what I wanted, but it'll do the job. It's green all right, bright green, with just the slightest hint of yellow. Along with the dual brightness mod from goldserve, I'm pretty pleased with it. Now I'll have to find some critters to check out the spookability of green light in the wilds. A good friend I showed it to wants it......Not going to happen.

Now, a question. With the T bin and the fact it's a colored emitter, should I expect it to be much brighter than my other Q-III with a SYAJ?

It seems to really out-perform the SYAJ that has a 20mm IMS reflector. I'm also wondering if it's worth putting a IMS with the green one (is it just optics that show the die shape?). I think the flood of the stock reflector might be more useful in the woods.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh yeah, it should be way brighter to your eyes.

I modded a 2D mag with a S2J Cyan, only S bin, and that thing was the brightest LED I've ever seen. I sold it to BugLightGeek, but I have another led for my self left. The green should as bright or brigther than the Cyan I had when driven at 1 amp.

Animals can see green in the wild. I had a 5W green and a R/O mag light, the animals didn't mind the red-orange, but when I turned on the green they looked away or ran away.

But it still was an awesome color!!

As far as optics, reflectors will produce the nicest beam. You might have some rings but not realy bad. If the stock reflector has some orange peel to it, then that will smooth out the beam.. I bet that black Q3 with green is a good combination of color.. Pictures!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Niteowl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
.. I bet that black Q3 with green is a good combination of color.. Pictures!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could. I have to rely on the infrequent availability of a digital camera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Spending too much on lights...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif