is it dangeroes to eat fish from lake?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i always here people around ga here dont eat fish from are lakes.but i think it safer then eating chcicken from what ive seen of chicken plants. btw they say this is the poutry capital of the owlrd ya outa see the chciknes in the semis stacked on top each other smelly lol.but do you think it is safe to eat fish from this lake lake lanier

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You could try phoning the lake patrol or wildlife commission and asking them. Some lakes could be contaminated somehow and certain fish could be either bad to eat or protected.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie,

If you click on "recreation" then "fishing" on that site, you will see a link entitled "Fish Consumption Guidlines for 2003". If you don't find your answers there, I would get a hold of the GA. Dept. of Natural Resources, and pose your question to them.

Typically, a healthy adult would have no problem with occasional consumption of "polluted" fish, but the toxin(s) are usually cumulative, so it's a good idea to follow the guidelines. I personally would err on the conservative side of the recommendations just to be doubly safe.

Peter

greenLED

Flashaholic
Unless the lake is somehow contaminated, I don't see why not. Some lakes are really polluted nowdays and the fish in them might make you sick (even if you don't realize it at first, some toxins can slowly accumulate in your body and make you sick months or years later).

The link shows pics of people fishing, and the description talks about fish management. Maybe you can ask at the entrance?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
thank you for the links everyone what pisses me off .is people litter so bad. they have no class at all.i so wanna take the garbage can and dump it in there car.i called the city and complaned and i am going to talk to the police i see there to see if i can help some how.

greenLED

Flashaholic
You are such a good person, raggie! When I see someone dumping trash, I go "Excuse me sir, you dropped this!..." It's funny to see some of the reactions (some look ashamed, others don't seem to care, etc.)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Is this link "Lake Lanier" the same "Lake Lanier" you live by raggie?

WOW, it certainly looks like they are catching some BIG ONES there!!

Maybe we need a "CPF Fishing Trip"?!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol im not that good greenled.yep sigman thats the lake im near i can hear boats in it all day like 1 minute walk or 3 minutes to where holly park is.i could see lake from my rear deck if it was winter i bet but the leaves are in way now ,ya all outa come down and fish there is trout under bufurd damn but thats like 30 miles from me i think

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
Is this link "Lake Lanier" the same "Lake Lanier" you live by raggie?

WOW, it certainly looks like they are catching some BIG ONES there!!

Maybe we need a "CPF Fishing Trip"?!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to go trout fishing. What I do is catch and release the trout. I don't eat them anymore.

Negeltu

Enlightened
I like fishing, but I don't like eating trout. I prefer Crappie, Bluegill and Perch. Walleye is the best, of course. Just check your fishing regs guide that is available in local stores probably around the lake. It should list the waters that are contaminated and what they are contaminated with... Like Mercury or PCB/Dioxins. The Mercury is the one I worry about the most. You can trim the fat away from the fish eliminating a good portion of the PCB's and such, but mercury is stored all over the fish in the organs and muscle tissue. Cook fish well to kill all parasites too. Flukes and Tapeworms really suck. No matter how clean the lake or river there will be a good portion of fish that have parasites. Freezing the fish will kill them and cooking kills them too. So if your fish is cooked well you have nothing to worry about with that.

Negeltu

Enlightened
Well... fish that eat other fish have the highest levels usually. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Passes from one to the other and builds incrementally. At least that's what my g/f's uncle says. He works with the fish and game here in oregon. He's a marine biologist.

Negeltu

Enlightened
Cooking will kill all parasites that would be in the fish, but it won't destory the pollutants. If you cut away as much of the fat as possible and cook it in a way that the fat drips or drains out... then you should be fine even if it was taken from a somewhat polluted lake.

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
i always here people around ga here dont eat fish from are lakes.but i think it safer then eating chcicken from what ive seen of chicken plants. btw they say this is the poutry capital of the owlrd ya outa see the chciknes in the semis stacked on top each other smelly lol.but do you think it is safe to eat fish from this lake lake lanier

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure Raggie, but beware of fish from any Democrat bullwark stonghold, like Chicago. As I recall, two fish from Lake Michigan put you well over the EPA limits for multiple poisons and heavy metals.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
NewBie said:
As I recall, two fish from Lake Michigan put you well over the EPA limits for multiple poisons and heavy metals.

[/ QUOTE ]
When I lived on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, I once popped a piece of a fish I'd caught out of Lake Michigan into the microwave...just "heating it up" a bit to check out the flavor.

I watched it "pop & spark"...literally SPARK inside the microwave. "HEAVY METAL" and we're not talking music!

Needless to say, I quit eating fish out of Lake Michigan! Right in the fishing regs, it had warnings about eating either "no" fish out of certain waters or limiting the amount eaten out of other named streams & lakes.

Now I live in Alaska! Not saying our fish are "perfect" - BUT THEY'RE PRETTY CLOSE!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif (never saw one "spark"!)

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use to have a relative who worked at the new port news shipyard. He said he would never eat anything from the james river.