Favorite Camping Lamp and Mosquitoes Question

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
I seem to remember reading somewhere that yellow was a good color to use for tent lighting while camping because mosquitoes were not attracted to it. Does anyone know if this is true, or is it a myth?

True or not, what are your favorite camping lamps for general tent illumination?

Thanks,
-Brian

wmirag

Enlightened
My understanding is that moths and some other insects are atracted to light; mosquitos are attracted to C02 and mammal scent. Hence those expensive "Mosquito Magnets".

Take a white light (or a red one for night vision) and be sure to take your DEET!

W.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use the longer wavelength colors. Yellow is good because it gives decent color rendition. I tried a flourescent lantern once, and it was bug city. I think that's because flourescents use UV with a phosphor coating, and evidently some UV leaks out. Atleast that's my theory, although I'm not sure if it's true or not.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought it was infra-red light that attracted them (they mistake it for body heat). Thus the LED lights would be better than incandescent lights in general.

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
bugs like UV, hence bug zappers emmit UV light. This works for moths and other nightime insects, not sure about mosquitos.
Jeff

Luff

Enlightened
I posted these links 3 years ago. It seems an appropriate time to trot them out again.

Regarding what does not repell mosquitoes, including bug zappers, citroenella, electronic devices, bats and purple martins:

These things don't work

Regarding what colors attract photoresponsive insects (this is a word document you have to download, but it's a good summary if you're really interested):

Insect response to different colored light

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
Those are very interesting documents! Thank you!

So in conclusion it sounds like mosquitoes could care less what kind of light you use, but if you hang a yellow or especially a red light in your tent it will be far less likely to be filled with other flying insects when you come back to it.

Regardless if it keeps mosquitoes at bay, my wife will be pleased to use red lights from now on to keep the rest of the bugs away!

-Brian