JIL REV DD And JIL REV DD UP? What's UP?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
JIL REV DD And JIL REV DD UP? What\'s UP?

I remember when Warren first offered these CR2 powered mini's. Since the JIL 1.3W wasn't smaller than a Firefly, I wasn't interested but was fascinated with the JIL REV DD since it was so tiny.

I watched the original thread closely and noticed one of our better modder's here, Charlie, ("Mr. Bulk"), ordered both versions early on. He received them both quickly and was very impressed with the JIL REV because of it's tiny size and said it was extremely bright with RCR2's.

I asked Charlie on the original thread if the JIL REV was bright on a standard CR2. He said; "No way and it's very, very, VERY DIM!"

Flash forward and a fellow CPF brother sent me a JIL REV to try out. I put a standard, (I don't remember what you guy's call them now but it's an off-the-shelf CR2!), in it and I was pleased at how bright this tiny thing was! It wasn't SUPER bright but it was pretty bright and white nonetheless. I then put one of Charlie's recommended RCR2's in it and yes, it was brighter but to my eyes, not that much and it got hotter than hell in just a couple of minutes. I couldn't justify running a RCR2 in this tiny light for maybe 25% more brightness and it getting hotter than hell after only a couple of minutes!

Okay, what's the difference between the original JIL REV, (that I tried), and the new JIL REV (UP)? I know the new JIL REV "UP" now has a glass, (okay, a UCL), lens and a different reflector. Does the new reflector really make THAT big of a difference on the JIL REV "UP"?

L

LITEmania

Re: JIL REV DD And JIL REV DD UP? What\'s UP?

new reflector has been improved in profile to make more spot beam and an additional surface coating was applied to gives more efficiency.

Combining with UCL lens, DD UP is MUCH BRIGHTER.

larryk

Enlightened

Hi Gene, I remember that thread, Charlie even showed a beam shot compared to the Jil 1.3. If I remember corectly the Jil DD with the RCR2 was much brighter than the 1.3. Also I beleive Charlie's Jil's were from the first batch. Maybe Charlie can answer your question. Larry.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

perhaps the emitter in your DD had a lower Vf than what Charley's had so your's drew more power from DD? I'd think a T--H bin would be awesome!

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you Warren for the explanation.

Hi Larry,
Yeah, Charlie's output appeared much brighter than the experience I had. Like I said, there WAS a difference in brightness when I tried a 750mAH RCR2. However, the difference in brightness for a scalding hot JIL REV in just about a minute or two isn't worth it IMHO. Besides, the brightness from the REV, (and it's very white also), using a regular CR2 isn't bad at all and it will run a long time.

Isaac,
That could very well be. I have to admit, these JIL's and especially the REV are the best deals out there right now if you're looking for a quality, TINY light. Also, the REV being so tiny and light, makes for a great "necklace" light!

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

warren has said that both aren't recommend for RCR2s, so do so at your own risk. also the 1.3 is a good deal brighter on a primary, and runs forever! It run's far longer then my KL-1's ARC LSH-P, HDS. And it's REAL Bright. I will take that over a DD on a primary anyday.

At the time bulk put up the RCR2 shot's I felt esp after warren said the maker didn't recommend RCR2's for either,, Bulks experiment could be missleading and damaging for some.
I you love DD jil i a good one,, if you want brighter, great runtime,
a really bright little light for EDC get a 1.3 imho. VDG

gorlank

Enlightened

Here's a quote from Warren, hope it clears things up a bit,
I think it's still use RCR2 at your own risk.

falconz : 1.3W uses micropuck which has input voltage limit of max 3.0V. Please do not use.

DD has a Vf-J BIN, so please do not use RCR2. Or run it on your own risk. I guess we need Vf-K BIN for the memebers who prefer RCR2. K-Bin is safer than J-Bin against RCR2...

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

OK, thanks. I think I got it now. The official statement is that only regular CR2 are recommended (for both Rev and DD) and if you decide to use RCR2, you're on your own.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks nascar, I was hoping some else would ask too. we are all big boys, but some of us don't have the knowledge (me for example) or a whole box full of top flite lux III's if you should burn one.
I think the mod masters should post in bold or capital's when making there posts like bulk did that this is not recommended for the CPFer's that don't have here knowledge or part supplies. VDG