Streamlight PP Luxeon and Rechargeables?

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
I just received a Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon and I can't wait for this beautiful, sunny day to turn to night so I can play with it!

Initially, in my office with the lights out, I've compared it to my UKE 4AA Incandescent and it seems a tiny bit brighter (but vastly superior!)

The package doesn't say anything about rechargeable batteries but specifically states Alkaline. Can someone tell me if there is any risk of damaging the light if I try them rechargeables? I can't imagine they would hurt it since they run at lower voltage, but I also know they pack more mAh, so I don't know if that would pose a risk. I don't want to blow my light before the first nightfall... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Thanks,
-Brian

cognitivefun

Enlightened
should run fine, no risk.

Lithiums OTOH are not recommended and Streamlight says using them will void the warranty. But NiMH rechargables are okay.

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
Re: Streamlight PP Luxeon is Amazing!

Thanks for the reply! I feel a little more brave to try it now - probably will before I go to bed.

By the way - THIS LIGHT IS GREAT! I can't believe I haven't seen more posts about it yet.

I've been comparing it to my UKE 4AA and it seems as bright if not slightly brighter! My UK, admittedly, does not have a perfect focus, so the spot has a dead spot in the middle, but even if it was filled in I can't imagine it being preferable to this SLPPL.

Throw is fantastic - I was clearly spotting the tops of evergreens that were maybe 50-60 feet tall, and spotting trees at least that far back in the forest.

Walking down the unlit trail by my house it was extremely obvious which light I would choose for the task. The UK works great, but the SL is clearly superior. I'm sure anybody driving by that saw me walking with it tonight assumed I was police looking for someone in the woods.

The down sides are minimal. Because of the head it's a little bigger then the UK. 1.25 inches longer and a little bigger around. A little too big to be comfortable in an average pocket. Not really an EDC for average people I wouldn't think.

Other then that, it runs longer, has a brighter, better shaped, whiter beam, doesn't dim as the batteries run down, is easier/faster to turn on/off because of the switch, practically unbreakable, no bulb to burn out...

Plus it shares most of the other great features of the UK: watertight, medium sized, comfortable in the hand, cheap/ubiquitous batteries, optional helmet/hardhat clip...

I could rave about this light some more, but I think you get the picture. For $32 any flashaholic that ever needs a "throw" light (for camping, hiking, patrolling, impressing, etc.) should own one of these! There are lights that are brighter and throw farther I'm sure, but not for 3.5-4 hours at a time and still fit in a coat pocket for $32!

-Brian

Jayman

Newly Enlightened

I totally agree with your assessment of the SLPPL, it's a fantastic all purpose light. I love mine so much I bought one for my Dad. He owns a campground and I figured this light would be perfect for navigating around at night.

KarlTiger

Newly Enlightened

Does the SLPPL have a lockout feature ? If yes, is it at least water resistant when in locked state ?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using rechargeable nimh daily now for about 3 months. I use my light at work.

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened

No; the SLPPL does not have a "lockout" feature. You have to screw the head on quite a ways, so it seems like they could have included that feature fairly easily, but they didn't. It you carry your flashlight in a space where it may get bumped around end to end a lot ,then this might not be the perfect light or you.

-Brian

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
Do you notice any change in run time with the rechargables? Or, how many mAh are your batteries rated for and what kind of typical runtimes are you seeing?