My bright little CMG sonic. Who else likes them?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off we know it's not a big favorite here so if you want to dis it please start your own thread. Minor thing's aren't taboo, just the ranting to rant by the ARC AAA ophiles wishing to find a place to down a light that isn't an ARC.

Anyway, after I got my peak lug 1xAAA 1LED ultra power, and begain wearing it on my chain around neck, which I did with my photon and silver CMG sonic, I tried it it out after a long time away from using my mag mods and one of my two, I have is really bright! a smidge more then my ARC AAA-P,(could be the throw
from the narrow bezel) and mine is got a good tight tail i keep lubed well and thus even tighter.

I noticed with one hand it's easier to use from around the neck, I am a lefty so it could be that, but i's body length give's some grip that nice.
My black one is looser and not as bright.
Anyone else like these? I don't have the gerber version with the LED protruding out more any difference? brighter, or better beam? I thought of getting a couple of gerber sonics to see. Anyone dig'em? VDG

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i love mine! Put Teflon tape on the threads for extra smooth turns and it works great! I love it much more than my ARC AAA with its intermittent and much rougher operation.

Marc

Newly Enlightened
Re: My bright little CMG sonic. Who else likes the

Great inexpensive little light. I used to EDC it for quite a while. For the last couple of months, it's been flickering when turned on. I've to wack it against my hand to stop the flickering. Maybe the battery contact or the tail spring need a little cleaning.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

VDG,

I feel that the recessed LED is one of the coolest things about this light. It's a tighter beam than any of the AAA ARCS or CMG Ultras or Infinities and I don't know if PEAK still has the option to recess the LED(s) deeply into a hole. IMO it still has plenty of spill. (I blew it by not getting one of those recessed Peaks)

If you like the Sonic you should probably jump on the Sonic-G while they may still be had. The Sonic-G is like the Ultra-G in that they both have type III hard ano and they both say 'US GOVERNMENT'. They are both at the evolutionary peak of their own respective models -- and they're both going away.

Somewhere I read that these were produced under gov contract and issued to some elite mil unit. It may be that some were issued to the FBI as well.

Amazingly, this guy still has them (about 3/4 of the way down the page). They are a little pricey but if you like the Sonic and HA III it's definatetly worth it. It's $18 + shipping. I don't remember what he charged for shipping but I don't recall feeling gouged about it.

I've got a Sonic-G with a NiMH in my pocket right now.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Marc said:
Great inexpensive little light. I used to EDC it for quite a while. For the last couple of months, it's been flickering when turned on. I've to wack it against my hand to stop the flickering. Maybe the battery contact or the tail spring need a little cleaning.

[/ QUOTE ]

I clean a pencil eraser with a little piece of fine sandpaper and then use the clean eraser to scrub both contacts on the light. If the eraser gets black I sand it again and keep doing it until the eraser comes out clean.

paulr

Flashaholic

I have a couple of the old-style Sonics. In absolute terms they're not as good as certain other lights that are 2 to 4 times as expensive, but I've always said I thought the Sonics were good value (they were $10 or so each at TTS).

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sub_Umbra:

I agree with the recess, make sense.

I do think i will get sonic G just thought it was a little much too, but hey were all nuts here anyway! If I get mine swapped to a 26K easy, i may buy one. VDG

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

This was my around-the-house light for quite some time. The "covert" nature of the CMG Sonics is definitely nice. Lately it's been replaced with a first edition brass Peak 3 LED.

Geoff

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

yea my peak H-III blk lug ultra power single LED is getting mre neck time. VDG

auroreboreale

Newly Enlightened
All: I too have been attracted by the small size and low cost of the Sonic. I am looking for an EDC replacement that will be shorter than my 2xAAA Mini-mg. I carry it vertically in a thigh cargo pocket, suspended by its tail lanyard hole using a badge clip and the pocket clip. Does anybody have experience carrying the Sonic this way, suspended by its tail lanyard hole? I have heard that it has a reputation for turning itself on when carried in a pocket. I keep bike-inner tube elastics wrapped around the Mini-mg light's head which adds friction to keep it from turning on inadvertantly. Any suggestions?
Auroreboreale
Whitehorse
Yukon
Canada

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I imagine if the soli don't turn on the sonic won't. in a pair of jeans in a pocket maybe. some are tight some aren't.

If i lube mine good, it's good in a pocket, or keychain. i got used to wearing it around my neck one day when I was wearing some army dog tag's, and it became a cool easy way to have it on me ready to go.I just went to the hardware store and got some ball chain a little thicker then GI issue, and have had a sonic, photon,modded solitaire, or my new peak there all the time.VDG

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW again you got it out from the front? small strap wrench in front of the kurling or behind? I can't see a seem. VDG

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
VDG,

Seam is where I told you in the other thread; between the knurling and head, just below where the logo is. Didn't need a strap wrench once the glue was toast. Probably didn't need the pliers but did need the grippy stuff.

-LT