Are Energizer 3Vs weaker than Duracell?

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

.....the reason I ask is... I purchased a Surefire M2, and the manual says that to achieve expected light output, to -only- use Duracell... However.. Energizers are cheaper! ^_^

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. :>

------------------

D

**DONOTDELETE**

There is a thermal cut off inside Li batteries. Duracell sets theirs at a higher temp so that the battery can deliver more power without cutting out. This is only important when using very high drain flashlights for a considerable period of time. If you only have the flashlight on for a minute or so and then turn it off, you will probably never know the difference.

Walt

hamhanded

Enlightened
Interesting. I would have guessed kickbacks before a technical reason behind a Duracell recommendation. Anyone have any details about that?

Also wondering why two different posters both have the same guest profile called DONOTDELETE. Are these two posts propping up the rest of the forum?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was a long time ago, but my experience with Energizer and Duracell CR123A's has always been good. Back then I would have to give the edge to Duracell for consistency and long life. I basically only have Surefire CR123A's now, but I do have a three set of Energizer CR123's in an M3 and they keep going.. and going.. and going.. I just remember the Duracells back then squeaking out every last lumen from my lamp assemblies before they finally gave up the ghost. Most of the other ones back then would just suddenly.. die.. that sucked when that happened.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ah! Back in the day when all SureFire lights came supplied with Duracell CR123s. But to answer the question from 23 years ago.... No different between Duracell CR123s and Energizer CR123s. Even from over two decades ago.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about that. I had some energizer cells of unknown previous runtime on them in a used light I bought from a member here, and they didn't last as long as new Panasonic cells do. So I'd say Duracell is better

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't know about that. I had some energizer cells of unknown previous runtime on them in a used light I bought from a member here, and they didn't last as long as new Panasonic cells do. So I'd say Duracell is better
Sorry to say but it's likely those cells had quite a bit of previous runtime on them.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just looked up (for the n-teenth time) CR123A cells on the BJ web site. All of the below cells I checked indicate that they are made / manufactured in U.S.A. Where the H are people posting in this thread getting their information from??????? This is a perennial thread at CPF. Always the same comments posted (always un-referenced). WTH? Is this some classic case of group-think or what?

Streamlight - 1400 mAh

Surefire - 1550 mAh

Energizer - 1500 mAh

Ultralife - 1650 mAh

Duracell - 1550 mAh

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read last year or maybe 16 years ago on CPF about Panasonic being the OEM.

I read on CPF that Streamlight CR123 is subpar but I get them free with lights and sometimes buy packs at Cabelas for one reason are another. DOn't use enough to matter.

Are there different quality levels with Duracell? My latest True Value purchase weren't Duracell Ultras but plain Duracells.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I just looked up (for the n-teenth time) CR123A cells on the BJ web site. All of the below cells I checked indicate that they are made / manufactured in U.S.A. Where the H are people posting in this thread getting their information from??????? This is a perennial thread at CPF. Always the same comments posted (always un-referenced). WTH? Is this some classic case of group-think or what?

Streamlight - 1400 mAh

Surefire - 1550 mAh

Energizer - 1500 mAh

Ultralife - 1650 mAh

Duracell - 1550 mAh

Believe what you want, I did my research. Currently, every Made in USA CR123 battery is just re-labelled Panasonic. With no other changes. And, a good chunk of my research goes back 20 years keeping my own careful records testing out various different branded Made in USA cells. No difference. Do I believe my own research and data, or info. that was simply re-printed onto an online shop's website? Easy answer.

Though I have no shame in admitting I buy tons of lights, and related items from B.J. all the time. As an online shop fantastic selection. I recommend creating an account, and taking advantage of their Rewards program. Has proven to be a great money-saver, for me.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Streamlight - 1400 mAh

Surefire - 1550 mAh

Energizer - 1500 mAh

Ultralife - 1650 mAh

Duracell - 1550 mAh

They make Rayovac's too. They have the same specs as Streamlight cells.

The SureFire have the most ability to hold a higher output according to the man himself PK. He would know since he designed them to replace the Duracell that used to come with SureFire lights when this thread was born.
Battery Station are good too, which is why Malkoff and Elzetta sell that brand. I forget who it was but somebody here did a bunch of tests over at the Malkoff thread and Battery Station ranked highest overall.

See, back then (when this thread was born) CR123's were camera batteries. Dr. John Matthews developed flashlights to use them. If I recall correct Tekna did it before John did it. But the Energizer version was for low power cameras where the Duracell was for a camera AND a flash, which sucked up a lot of juice in a hurry. That's why Dr. Matthews chose Duracell over Energizers. They developed the SureFire cell for the M6 and other super battery guzzling lights.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
They make Rayovac's too. They have the same specs as Streamlight cells.

The SureFire have the most ability to hold a higher output according to the man himself PK. He would know since he designed them to replace the Duracell that used to come with SureFire lights when this thread was born.
Battery Station are good too, which is why Malkoff and Elzetta sell that brand.

See, back then CR123's were camera batteries. Dr. John Matthews developed flashlights to use them. If I recall correct Tekna did it before John did it. But the Energizer version was for low power cameras where the Duracell was for a camera AND a flash, which sucked up a lot of juice in a hurry. That's why Dr. Matthews chose Duracell over Energizers. They developed the SureFire cell for the M6 and other super battery guzzling lights.
It's funny but camera batteries is what started me down this path. I was looking for something better than alkalines for my camera flashes. Which is why I discovered LSD nimh cells. Maha imedions to be exact. Alkalines took about 5 seconds to charge the capacitor for the flash. The imedions were around 1 second. Researching those got me into the idea of flashlights. Been hooked on battery tech and flashlights ever since

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast

Attachments

• UB123A_Sell_Sheet.pdf
    213.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited: