How to get started?

AgaBoogaBoo

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys
First, what other sites besides this one and flashlightreviews.com should I read at?

Second, is there any beginner's kit or a guide to help me get started? I'd like to spend ~$50 or less on a flashlight and then money modding it. I'm pretty flexible, but I don't want to spend a lot on this, at least for now :p

Reccomendations on modifications are appreciated too, this is mostly for learning, no real purpose at this point.

Any other advice is welcome too. So far I seem to prefer smaller flashlights that have the same size throughout in terms of circumference. Mainly because I can keep these in my pocket.

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Robban

Enlightened
The light that really got me hooked was the Nuwai QIII. It's a small LuxeonIII light that runs on a single CR123A. Doing a search in the forums for this light will give you lots and lots of info.

The modding potential for this particular light might not be as big as for some other lights but I still think it's a nice light to keep around.

Welcome to CPF.

Oh and... hide your wallet so you can't find it.

AgaBoogaBoo

Newly Enlightened
Hahaha, someone else already told me about the money thing :p

Let's see what it can do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll search around for that now and post back later

KarlTiger

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AgaBoogaBoo said:
First, what other sites besides this one and flashlightreviews.com should I read at?

[/ QUOTE ]

You may look here.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Depending on your modding skils, I would recommend you start with a QIII. You can do many upgrades to it, or simply use it "as is".

I would follow this by modding a M*g light using DD (Direct Drive) - no need for electronics:
Direct Drive Reference Sheet ...

And of course, use the search function and if this does not give you the answer you need, ask away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Will

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
the key to modding, is to have a light that sux, then see the output of a high-powered led, then try your best to put 2 and 2 together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PaulB

Newly Enlightened
Also keep an eye on this site's "Flashaholic get togethers." If you are lucky, there may be one in your area. It is a great opportunity to see(and feel) some of these awsome light machines ! Again, hold on tight to your wallet !

Latest posts