This is why I need a pouch for the E1L...

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to pay for a drink at the grocery store, put my wallet back in my pocket, hear a loud hard knock. It was my E1L hitting the pavement hard...
A few little scratchs on the tail cap and bezel, but it's fine. NOT something I wanna see again...( I did buy as an EDC, so it was gonna get used, I just didn't expect it to look that way, 3 weeks in)

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah

I was walking from a garage sale and went home. I then figured out that I had lost my light so I traced my steps back. Sure enough it was on the sidewalk up the street.. WOW.. I AM LUCKY!

-tom

attowatt

Enlightened
I know the feeling. It happened once to my old E1E and now I am happy to say...never again. This is the pouch that comes with the coast led lenser V2. The pouch is a very good match with the e1x series of surefire lights. Dont get me wrong... I love my led lenser for its 3AAA pack, but the clip that was originally on here was a joke(if you have one , you know what I mean), so I decided to change it. I have been racking my brain to figure out how to secure the new clip to this pouch. The new(old) clip was taken off of a leather pouch I use to use on an old cellphone, you know the brick type phones. Using a razor blade I cut the entire belt clip, including the leather "wrap" from the old pouch and was trying to figure how to secure this to the coast pouch. After about 4 stitches of trying to sew the leather to the pouch, i decided this was not going to work.

So after a week of looking at the clip and the pouch I decided to JB weld it. MAN I LOVE THIS STUFF- JB weld. Used this stuff in the navy to repair teeth on broken gears, and other things as well. I used an old toothbrush to wedge the steel clip open while the JB weld was setting, and stood my G2Z on top of steel clip so it would apply slight pressure during the 24 hour curing.
Now MY e1E, E1L, TW4, as well as led lenser are happy.

I know JB weld is considered liquid steel/metal, but i figured it would bond the porous fiber of the coast pouch with the steel from the old cellphone clip. and it appears to be holding.

Hope this helps.

Jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dsc007992kq.jpg
dsc008003bt.jpg
dsc008013de.jpg
dsc008023dh.jpg
dsc008034mn.jpg
dsc008043ng.jpg
dsc008072qr.jpg
dsc008084mj.jpg
dsc008098qm.jpg

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
two days after i got my first KL-1/ vital gear setup, I feel
it fell from knee high and dropped on the bezel which chiped a lot, but then gently roll across a sidewalk leaving huge chunk's of HA-III outta it. i think just a freak bad anodize job but I was wigged. i don't mind them looking used too but not 2 days in. on the other hand I dropped my E2d off a four ft guitar amp on stone floor
on the bezel and it put a couple of LITTLE chips.

maybe HA-III has to cure my KL-1 as straight frm the factory. VDG

nightshade

Enlightened
I've never found HA3 to be a match against concrete. The concrete always removes the finish.
Several of my work carry lights are missing 50 percent or more of the factory HA. While many times harder than other finishes, it does scrape off in hard use. I no longer buy SF (or other) lights with HA if there is another affordable option available. The exposed aluminum has never posed a problem for me. I've grown,somewhat reluctantly at first, to enjoy the scars my lights wear. Many of the SF lights are seemingly indestructible, regardless of the applied finish.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Character. Light's no good until it gets some.
Maybe this will make you feel better...
When I got my Longbow Micra, the dealer had put an extra battery in the box with the light, but didn't shut the box all the way. Standing at the doorway of my truck, stopped at the end of the (sloped) driveway, I opened the package, pulled out the box, which was upside down, the Micra rolled out, bounced off the concrete, and then rolled under my truck, and down the hill a bit. The black HAII had dings around the bezel, and a few good chips out of it.
I had not touched, or even seen the light yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one who likes scrached up lights? It makes them look more like they are 'your own'.

attowatt

Enlightened
ok ok ok.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif my mistake. I was so proud of my frankensteined pouch/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif I made, that I posted it here. ( should have started a new thread)

I realize now I read too much into the thread/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duh2.gif. I currently have too much in my pockets already, coins,keys, keyfob, more keys, chapstick, spyderco wrench knife, E2D, and TW4. I was looking for a way to relocate something to belt, as I carry small cellphone only.

I do agree with what some have stated in that the scratches and dings do give the light character. It's that first ding that is hard to swallow.

Jim

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn, YOU have a spyderwrench...
I don't mind the light looking a bit worn, just not so soon. I need to get a beater KL4 now... (pre beat up)
My cellphone looks like hell since everything in my pockets bang against it. I want a pouch w/o the belt loop for in the pocket carry. Or a pocket clip that secures it LOWER. My L4 would not have fallen out, due to more mass, lower in the pocket

attowatt

Enlightened
you just gave me an idea GarageBoy

edited:

Even if you dont have a belt you should be able to secure this through the beltloop.

That's my second spyderwrench... the 1st one was stolen.

Jim

dsc008140sp.jpg

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
nightshade said:
I've never found HA3 to be a match against concrete. The concrete always removes the finish.
Several of my work carry lights are missing 50 percent or more of the factory HA. While many times harder than other finishes, it does scrape off in hard use. I no longer buy SF (or other) lights with HA if there is another affordable option available. The exposed aluminum has never posed a problem for me. I've grown,somewhat reluctantly at first, to enjoy the scars my lights wear. Many of the SF lights are seemingly indestructible, regardless of the applied finish.

[/ QUOTE ]
It didn't hit where the chunks came out it "rolled" in a gentle circle, and none came off the vital gear body. I did it with my mag and nothing but a few scratches. This was just HA that slipped through bad. But your right about SS.
VDG

Steve C

Enlightened
Great photos, Jim; describes your work perfectly.

I agree... too much stuff in my pockets already. I EDC an SF A2 on my ankle, but with retirement looming its gonna be shorts and flip-flops as a daily dress code. I'm thinking about my little Nuwai QIII on the belt behind the cell phone, where the state pager is now (like you, I carry a very small cell phone).

The QIII comes with a good concept pouch; unfortunately, the execution is poor; very flimsy and doesn't last any time. There was a fellow in HK or Singapore who was making a neat pouch, but he only took PayPal and I don't do PayPal.

I'll look into this Coast Lenser V2, or whatever it is. I'm at the point that I'll buy another un-needed light just to get a decent pouch. I won the so-called lottery with my QIII; pure white beam, no artifacts to speak of. It is a really neat & handy little light.

And I hear you re JB Weld... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

attowatt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
I begged Sal at the show to make more wrenches

[/ QUOTE ]

OT : Will he make more spyderwrenches ?

Jim

sniper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
attowatt said:
ok ok ok.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif my mistake. I was so proud of my frankensteined pouch/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif I made, that I posted it here. ( should have started a new thread)

Don't feel bad, I enjoyed the posts...Is all that J B Weld necessary to hold the clip to the pouch? One eternal principle...if it looks silly and works, by definition, it ain't silly! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Just one Question: Do you wear suspenders? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/caution.gif