HDS EDC Basic 60????????????

cslinger

Enlightened
So I am thinking of picking one of these up. Has the workmanship been up to par. Is everybody happy with their various incarnations of the HDS EDC lights?

Thanks
Chris

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have ye seen real bad post. everyone has been bowled over by them. I have a basic 60 and it's the only light I need.(but i carry a spare P four great levels, incredible beam, throw's like mad, better quality between then any other production light I got, including
surefire, ARC, mag, stramlight, pelican, etc. a aleph is the only ones i don't own, and hear there the only ones as good.

Anyhoo do a google search and read all the 100's of posts on them. VDG

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you read what folks have written about the EDCs you'll notice that many have started to leave out things you'd normally expect to read about a light in this price range, like, "Nice fit and finish." That and a few other very favorable comments have sort of stopped being used so much because most feel silly writing the same things that have already been said over and over.

I've tried to keep up with most of the EDC threads and for the most part, very few negative comments have been made. Much of those comments could almost be called personal preferences stating something like they would have liked a little more spill, or something like that. I think that those comments stand out a little more in the little mini-reviews people are writing after getting their lights, since, as i said, people refrain from saying all of the same good things endlessly.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
As you read what folks have written about the EDCs you'll notice that many have started to leave out things you'd normally expect to read about a light in this price range, like, "Nice fit and finish." That and a few other very favorable comments have sort of stopped being used so much because most feel silly writing the same things that have already been said over and over.

I've tried to keep up with most of the EDC threads and for the most part, very few negative comments have been made. Much of those comments could almost be called personal preferences stating something like they would have liked a little more spill, or something like that. I think that those comments stand out a little more in the little mini-reviews people are writing after getting their lights, since, as i said, people refrain from saying all of the same good things endlessly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now why couldn't i have said it that short so eloquently? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Well said SU.VDG

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's cute. It's Nice. Buy one. You will like it.
If you don't. Ebay or CPF BST will take it back.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rumor has it that Henry is developing 2AA and 2-123 battery holders for the HDS flashlights. This will be awesome my opinion says, gives us a chance to use easy-to-find alkalines, or to really increase runtime by using 2-123 battery holders. HDS is by far my most trusted EDC flashlights...

cy

Flashaholic
Personal preferance, but I don't care for the user interface on my EDC basic 60 GT.

way too many steps to simply turn on high beam. first you turn on with one click, then click twice, then press to latch on.

all that just to turn on high beam....

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
Personal preferance, but I don't care for the user interface on my EDC basic 60 GT.

way too many steps to simply turn on high beam. first you turn on with one click, then click twice, then press to latch on.

all that just to turn on high beam....

[/ QUOTE ]

or press and hold for a momentary blast. simple, and keep's batt life low. VDG

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy,

I would have actually preferred to have mine come on LOWER -- but it's not mission critical to the use I have for the light and I don't care enough about a lower initial level to pay extra for an Ultimate model -- which makes the initial power-on level an option settable by the user.

If I still worked in technical theatre I would have definately bought an Ultimate and have it set up to come on at either the Basic's min level (.3 lumens) or one of the Ultimate's three levels which are even lower than that.

Why not just sell it and buy an ultimate? You wouldn't lose anything, and then you could set ALL your levels just the way you want/need them.

cy

Flashaholic
don't have any problems with levels settings. you have a choice. get the adjustable version if you need fine tuning.

Personal preferance, I don't like overly complex UI's. Always thought ARC4's UI was way too complex. that's why I got EDC basic instead of ultima.

personal preference again, Lionheart's menu delivers best UI so far. Most anyone can figure out operation w/o instructions within a few minutes.

for me ability to latch on high beam without fuss is a basic requirement for any light.

Now if design was intended to prevent too easy latching of high beam to conserve battery....

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really have a problem with the HDS Basic UI- actually less of a problem than I thought I would. Being that I'm not in any "mission critical" or "tactical" situations, I can take an extra second to cover the bezel and click a few times to reach the level I want. That said, one slight annoyance is that you have to wait a moment after turning the light on before changing the level. If you try to do it too soon, the light thinks you are just trying to turn it off again. Not really a big deal though.

Kanai

Newly Enlightened
While waiting for the delivery of my Basic 60, I had second thoughts, thinking maybe I should have coughed up the extra $$ for the Ultimate 60. When I got my Basic and started to play with it I came to the conclusion that I don't mind the double click then press to have full brightness, considering that my ARC 4+ was set to double click to latch on to prevent accidental turn ons. Also, the 10 lumen primary on the Basic is brighter than I thought it would be. I use primary for almost all my lighting needs and use full beam on rare occasions. The 4 levels that are preset seem to fit my needs fine. If I had to choose just one light from my collection (God forbid)it would be my EDC Basic 60. I love this light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: HDS EDC Basic 60

[ QUOTE ]
John_KK said:
Whats the difference between Basic and Ultimate?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is well described on their website website