Hard Drive reccomendations?

LED-FX

Enlightened
Another month another drive failure :-(

Thats 5 this year, 60Gb IBM deathstar, one day failed to boot.
80 Gb Seagate Clicking unhappily
80 Gb Seagate II MBR corrupted
80Gb Seagate III Dead On Arrival
13Gb Seagate Clicking unhappily, possibly old age on that one though.

Apart from going to SCSI for reliabilty any reccomendations or `dont touch warnings more than welcome.

Thanks
Adam

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
SATA ... thats the Buzz words these days... Its somewhere between the IDE & SCSI Drives...

go in for 2 * 240 GB HDD's
RAID Them... and you will be fine for another 5 years or so...

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gosh, That just sounds like real bad luck. I cant imagine 5 HDDs in a year. I have had Western Digitals almost always. I have yet to have on go bad. A while back though, I was on my PC and all the sudden the HDD clicked like it turned off then back on. Nothing froze up or anything, but it was the prime example of something about to go FUBAR. So immediatly I ran out and got another HDD, another Western Digital, to backup everything. Well, after I did that, I must have scared the HDD into working cause after doing its little clicking noise once more, it hasnt done it again...that was like a year and a half ago. So I say Western Digitals are not bad at all. SATA sounds really nice though. Can be much faster...

Cameron

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I have not been as happy with recent Maxtor drives. They are manufactured in China, and have had a rather high early failure rate.

If possible, find drives that still have a 5 year warranty. They are more likely to still be working when the next generation of new, faster, sexier drives arrive.

Daniel

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are all of these failures on one computer? If so, is it possible that you have some common cause of the problem, such as a defective power supply?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Faulty SMPS.... and it DID kill 1 HDD & 1 CDRW Drive... (in deed... they do kill Drives).. thankfully ... the MB was saved... this was about 2 years ago...

never had a failure since then.. touch-wood...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm firmly in the WD camp myself. They were one of the very earliest manufacturers of HDs so they have a tremendous amount of experience.

I strayed from WD once and put a Maxtor into a small server. It lasted for one month. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Replaced it with a WD and it's been running 24x7 for a year and a half now. So I'm back to using nothing but WDs.

gessner17

Enlightened
5 drives in that amount of time would make me think something else is wrong, possibly a grounding issue or power supply. I have really only had a handful of drives die on me and that was after a good couple years of use. I have also had very good luck with WD drives also. The SATA raptors are very nice, 5 year warranty. I got tired of the lesser quality drives and decided my data was worth more. I now run 2 15k RPM Fujitsu SCSI drives, haven't had a lick of problems. These also carry 5 year warranty. The down side to SCSI is buying the pricy controller. If you are loooking for cheaper drives, SATA is the way to go right now.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
5 bad drives does sound a bit fishy as said above. What kind of power supply are you using? I had a problem with my computer recently with it shutting down when it wanted to. I replaced my motherboard and my computer has been running fine since. I have a Belkin Isolator surge proector (thing is made of metal and quite heavy) connected to an Antec Tru430 power supply to keep power going into my system as clean as possible.

I only use Western Digital. I have a 80 gig WD800JB running in mine on IDE (about to get a bigger SATA hard drive for storage) and I have a 160 gig Media Center Dual Option Western Digital external hard drive for all my music and music videos.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
My supplier tells me he has the best luck these days with WD and Maxtor. I've been through the entire history of the PC hard drive industry and all of the companies have had their ups and downs. The best companies (Fujitsu, Control Data, Micropolis) eventually got out of the PC business, probably due to competition. I'm not sure there is a brand of non-SCSI that you can rely on to be reliable.

If your system board allows it, install 2 drives and do a full-mirror. If you can't do that then at least have a second hard drive that you can back up to occasionally. Beyond that make frequent backups of your critical data- I do this by writing CD's once or twice a week.

Leeoniya

Enlightened
WD SATA 36GB or 74GB Raptors (WD360GD or WD740GD) 5.4ms and 4.5ms seek times, 10k RPM. nuff said.

running them in raid-0 on an SiI3112r sata raid controller.

lightning fast. not one glitch yet.

i've had too many IDE maxtors fail on me and start clicking early to ever want to go back, dunno about SATA.

Leon

legtu

Enlightened
... snipped ...

Double post. Sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

legtu

Enlightened
I find Western Digital drives very reliable. I still have a couple their 40mb drives here that I use for Linux. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Just like what others have mentioned, better check your power supply. It might either be faulty or doesn't have enough juice to run all of your PC's peripherals.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another for Western Digital. I've never had a failure, but I also retire each one after 3-4 yrs service.

Right now I have three of the Special Editions with the 8mb cache. (120, 120, 80 GB) Fast, cool, quiet and cheap (even cheaper when purchased OEM). The current WD 7200 rpm drives run both quieter and cooler than WD's 5400 rpm HDDs of just a few years ago.

LED-FX

Enlightened
Thanks for all the input, much appreciated.

Failures split over 2 machines, MBR failure was in another nachine.

13gig can put down to being old, its not clicking as badly ;-), but is now backed up.

PC thats seen most failures has health check on power supply , beeps at you when loaded into cheap box with cheaper PSU , erk, but no beeping in current box.

Drives live in drawers with 2 fans supposedly keeping them cool...

IBM now Hitachi 60Gb drives are apparently infamous as Desk(Death)Stars.Interestingly Excelstor at the cheap end of market apparently use same drive design and are one of few to offer still a 3 year warranty on IDE drives.

Heard more bad than good about Maxtor.Anyone any reports on Samsung?

Looks like some consensus on WD though friend who runs IT for cube farm is want to call Caviars, Cadavers.....

Any views on leaving drives running all time or to spin down after a while, machines there in, are on 24/7?

Possibly just weird statistical failure, hopefully means due years of trouble free drive service....wait whats that clicking from laptop.....

Thanks Again

Adam

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
My box is up 24/7. I doubt if my WD spin down much, if at all. I run a UNIX system and with all of the daemons running on their own all the time, trying to set them up to spin down when idle is almost a futile endeavor.

I try to make things easier on the drives by putting them in 5 1/4" bays and always keeping an empty bay between them. An oversized, top quality PSU helps, too.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen alot of failures at my job. Four to five drives can fail at the same time(same batch). And the rest just spin away happily 24x7. Drives in servers die of early age, that's where RAID come in place. Heat, shock and power is main factor to the lifespan of your drives.

Most high performance scsi and ide drives run at very high rpm thus generating alot of heat. Fan fails and heat kills.

If you look at your disk drive, it doesn't have very well built powersupply filter. Mostly because of limited space and most drives manufacturer assume that you have a good powersupply. If you are having drives fail in different machines you have a environmental problem. Check your power supply make sure they are good. Have a technician look at yours, clean the fan and breathing holes. Check for overheating and burned components on the circuit board. This is common problems and indication of a cheap powersupply. Please don't skimp on power supply, the $25 bucks you saved will bring your trouble in the long run. If you can find OEM/industrial powersupply from HP or IBM, buy them. They are mostly manufactured by Delta Electronics, Inc. They are well designed and use high quality components, I have seen them last for yearssss. Make sure they are ATX though. Reliable consumer powersupplies are Antec, Aopen, Enermax. Don't waste money on those fanless ones they are way overpriced and your computer will be less by 1 exhaust fan, increasing internal heat. Choose the power output wisely, a higher output does not mean using more power but a 450watts power supply will be operating cooler than a 300watts when running on a standard load.

If you suspect you have a problem with your mains power you should consult a local electrician. Most electrical companies in Australia can conduct a free mains power testing. They will do a report on the 'cleanliness' of your mains and determine if it is suitable to run certain electrical items. If you have a problem with your mains, and the electric company cannot fix it, for example, your neighbour could be running high current eqiupment such as welding machines, running some kind of motor equipment that can inject spikes back in to the mains. You will have to invest in a UPS+AVR. An Automatic Voltage Regulator will fix/smooth the problems in the mains that your normal powersupply cannot. On top of that you get a additional power backup for a clean shutdown when the mains is down.

Quantum drives used to be very reliable. Maxtor bought out Quantum and their drives now look like Quantums. Western Digital(high rpm), Seagate(supplier of apple ipod drives), Fujitsu, Toshiba scores pretty well in my harddisk drive hall of fame. Maxtor belongs to the bin, regardless new or used. Having said that, harddisk drives brands is a very personal thing. You can get different opinion from one to one.

I don't know what's your configuration. If your running a server and you don't have enough RAM, your harddisk drive will suffer from extra paging swaps. Generally speaking a machine with more RAM will be less stressful on the harddisk drives. Extra RAM will help if your doing alot of read and queries but if your doing alot of writes then prepare for a RAID or even two load balancing servers.

Vince.