Why no one make CR123 Raw ?

iocheretyanny

Enlightened
I have read great things about the Orb Raw and Jil DD. Both based on CR2, why not make a similar flashlight based on CR123.

This flashlight would be a bit bigger (easier to hold) but still very compact, and the batteries are cheaper and more popular, in addition to storing about double the energy....

easilyled

Flashaholic
I have the Orb Raw and the reason why it was made is because it is so tiny - I believe even tinier than the
Jil DD.

The idea behind it is to be the brightest flashlight for its size which it might well be.

Both the Jil-DD-CR2 and the Orb Raw are tiny keyring lights
(or at least have the potential to be keyring lights if used as such - one would probably be reluctant to scuff them with keys because they are so nice to look at!)

Your point about the CR123 is a very good one but it would defeat the object behind the design of the Orb Raw - which is to amaze everyone with its power for its size.

If it was enlarged to a CR123 size, it would become one of many very powerful CR123 flashlights - there are so many they are probably too numerous to name.

One of the latest ones is MR. Bulk's Lioncub which is very compact and has 32 dimming levels as well as many other interfaces - in addition to being water proof, HA3 etc.

The Orb Raw was never intended to compete with the likes of these CR123 lights because the price of it precluded regulation and O-rings.

Its just what it says - probably the most powerful flashlight for its size.

Its still an extremely attractive light and turns heads because of the output from the U-bin.