Apple WILL use Intel chips! (finally!!)

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Yahoo News Report

"NEW YORK - Surging technology shares prompted more buying on Wall Street Monday as investors welcomed analysts upgrades and Apple Computer Inc.'s reported talks to use Intel Corp. chips in its computers....

Wall Street was buoyed by the Apple report as such a change could be the biggest shift in the Mac's makeup since it came out in 1984 and could make the machines less expensive...."

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Apple to use Intel chips? (finally!!)

(*cough*) BULLPUCKY (*COUGH*)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

so, lets review shall we?

How many years ago was it when Motorola had so badly dropped the ball on chip production and the G4 was floundering at low clock rates and none of the promises for dual and quad core chips were coming true? Wouldn't this have been the time to jump ship and move to a new chip? Whereas now that they have gotten past that and the G5 is kicking ***, and more and more of the OS ad special apps are written to take specific advantage of it's 64 bit architecture and altivec extensions and testing up to 3.2 ghz with multiple cores on the horizon finally. NOW is when they are going to break everything?

no, I don't think so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nobody understands successful companies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

J_Oei

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't this have been the time to jump ship and move to a new chip?

[/ QUOTE ]

Which company manufactures the PowerPC chip? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Answer!!

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think that Steve Jobs is looking at the success of the iPod with its OS-blind support and now realizes that his stubborness has cost the company big time. The last I looked, they were well below 5% market share.

I think he's looking at the Chinese market too, where MS is bringing out an affordable version of Windows that will run easily on cheap PCs made in China. Pretty soon, most PCs being made will be bought in China. The Western market is pretty much saturated.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think what Steve has learned is to watch what Dell does, playing Intel against AMD to get better prices. The only thing that will come of this will be cheaper PowerPC chips from IBM.

watt4

Enlightened

they don't have to "break" anything to add another chip supplier. intel could make the apple chips any way apple wants them.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

so does this mean a apples based os for us pc users who build there own pc>S even for us amd guys?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are several Intel chips in my powerbook now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I believe they make the ethernet controller and something else too. So it's no surprise that Apple is in talks with Intel about a chip, but it isn't the CPU and it won't be the CPU...

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, Motorola pretty much "won" the chip contest with the first IBM PC... The only major chip that Intel had in the PC was the 8088 CPU. Much of the rest were Motorola ICs and components.

In fact, IIRC, Motorola and Intel were neck and neck for the CPU competition (IBM had both Moto and Intel CPUs running in evaluation machines). Intel won the CPU because they were a few months ahead of Motorola in the production ramp.

And the rest is history.

-Bill

Saaby

Flashaholic

Won't happen. Look at the Apple rumor community, this rumor comes around every year, Wall Street Journal just happened to get duped this time.

Like James said, they already use Moto chips, but Moto will not be supplying the main CPU for Apple anytimei soon, and if they do it will be a PowerPC chip from Moto, not x86.

Due to lots of technical things I don't completely understand, it's tricky to emulate a x86 chip on PowerPC and dang near impossible to emulate PowerPC on x86. Something to do with big/little endian and registers.

I'm willing to bet that we'll see fuel cells in laptops long before we see Apple on x86.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Reading more articles on this subject, it's apparent that there's a bit of tension between Apple and IBM over IBM's supply of PowerPC processors. In particular, IBM seems to be slow to bring out a powerful G5 chip suitable for laptops; a signficant percentage of Apple's output is in laptops. Current G5's are *very* power hungry and hot -- too hungry and hot for laptops. This may be a ploy by Apple to get IBM to speed up development in this and other areas.

It's worth noting BTW that when Steve Jobs came back to Apple from Next, the Next PCs were running on Intel chips. I think it's entirely possible that they've been running parallel PowerPC/Intel-based OS development so that it would take little effort to swing production over to Intel. JMHO.

Read this Apple article http://tinyurl.com/95oc6 on abstraction layers; this specific article is about porting UNIX/Linux Applications to Mac.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
There are several Intel chips in my powerbook now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I believe they make the ethernet controller and something else too. So it's no surprise that Apple is in talks with Intel about a chip, but it isn't the CPU and it won't be the CPU...

[/ QUOTE ]

Period.

Exactly, and anyone who thinks otherwise is either MUCH better informed than myself and my computer-savy friends, or is smoking too much of some illegal substance.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apple WILL use Intel chips (finally!!)

Yahoo News: http://tinyurl.com/awssm

"Our goal is to provide our customers with the best personal computers in the world, and looking ahead Intel has the strongest processor roadmap by far," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "It's been ten years since our transition to the PowerPC, and we think Intel's technology will help us create the best personal computers for the next ten years."

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Apple WILL use Intel chips (finally!!)

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
So the next question will be: "Will Apple release a version of OS X that will run on generic PCs?"

[/ QUOTE ]

No. They've been quite explicit that OS X will only run on Apple x86 boxes.

I thought it clever that the whole keynote was done using an x86 OS X box as the presentation system. Plus OS X has run on x86 from day 1....

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
evan9162 said:
Everybody ready to eat some crow?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Serve me up a double (or triple) helping. I've earned it.

I am very confused. What does this mean for OS X? And which intel chip(s) will Apple use?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wish Microsoft would port their OS to the CPU Apple uses.