Glow paint on flashlights?

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any experience with this stuff? I just ordered a bit to try, 1/2 Oz. They (Glow Inc.) say it will glow brightly for 12 hours, Ill be happy with 6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Does anyone use this on their lights? I just want to know if it is an effective locating tool. Does it stand up to the elements? Use it with anything else?
Any tips?

Ozric

Newly Enlightened
Funny you should mention. I was just toying with the idea yesterday, but after receiving my brand spanking new Nuwai QIII today, I'm not so sure I want to take a chance ruining it by botching a DIY job. I was actually considering ordering some strontium aluminate sold by a woman called glowlady online and mixing it with clearcoat. That should be really bright and much better than tritium. Had considered filling up the circumferential notch below the head.

woolfam

Newly Enlightened
Check out this thread.
I bought a half oz. and mixed it in about half a bottle of clear nail polish. I used it in the ring around the head of my Nuwai Q-III.
288874.jpg

It looks like this when charged.
288875.jpg

It glows bright enough for a few minutes that you could read by it. Six or seven hours later, it is still bright enough to easily find it in the dark.

I started by carefully sanding the groove and then applying a layer of Kilz (you could use White Out) to give it a white base coat. I then applied about 5 thin layers of the nail polish / powder mix.

Pila_Power

Enlightened
I have used an aqua colour; the stuff I'm currently selling for cheap - got it wholesale and am selling off the excess.
It's on par with the best out there and I used it with nail thickner - similar to nail polish but I feel this makes application more difficult than regular polish due to the viscosity increase using nail thickener/strengthener. Mind you, haven't broken a nail for a while... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you guys want some, pm me your interest and I'll let you know all you need. Trust me, even with intern'l postage, it's a dead set bargain! I gotta take some pics before long too.

Sorry to hijack but... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I'm planning to apply this mix to the heat sink around the 3 x 3W stars in my 5D mag and also in some channels I plan to mill out along the shaft.

Tips: Use some kind of medium that comes with an applicator, makes for less waste of your precious powder and reduces mess!!!

That's all I got, any other application ideas guys?

Ozric

Newly Enlightened
That's pretty cool, wolfam. Exactly what I was thinking of doing, but like I said, I don't have any experience doing these sorts of DIY things, so I think I'll first try my hand at painting some other stuff first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Strange, this light addiction. First started with flashlights, and is now growing to include other glowing substances - been also looking at Superluminova/tritium watches /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pila_Power: I'm near Los Angeles, actually. I ought to fill up my profile. My nick is derived from the UK space/psychedelic/prog rock act, Ozric Tentacles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
I got my paint from GlowInc.com. Excellent stuff! I put some of the yellow-green on a LUXI mod (behind the optic) and it glows through the night. Yup, you can read by it in the first couple of minutes after a charge.

I also put some on the LED tailcap of my Pila GL3 (it has some by default, but I wanted *MORE* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif). I thought about filling a groove on the GL3 bezel also; I see wolfam has already done something similar with this with the QIII. Cool! He seems to have used glowpowder+nail polish combo. I only have glowpaint, so I am not sure how the paint would work in there. I might have to aply thin coats and keep turning the light to get an even coat all around, finish with some clear nail polish.

In case you haven't, follow the link wolfam put up, Darkzero's the master. I also know that my cousin greenlight has been having a field day with glowing stuff.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too true. I couldn't decide where to paint on my SL4AApp, so I just dropped some glow chips into the reflector. That worked fine and is easily removable.

Glass chips make a good stirring facilitator.

Lastly, when you run out of flashlights to paint, try painting the inside of your bedside lamp or desk lamp.

I tried --------------------
this too.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
GlowInc had powder and paint, the powder is the same used in the paint, I thought they would be best with a medium. I considered using a powder then mixing it myself with something, but for the hassle, they can do it.
I like the idea of painting inside the lip around the bezel, it woulsd allow a charge just by turning on the light for a second or two.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
my order was refuned.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
They are unable to ship the solvent based paint across the border..
Now, what do you guys use for a medium? I had to re-order powder, now I need to mix it.. I am all ears..
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
You can use "White out" for a base then go with the powder/clear nail polish thin coats over and over is
what is best,so they say
Topper

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Topper, I had an inkling that was it, but wanted some back-up, that way I have someone to blame if it goes wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:
Now, what do you guys use for a medium? I had to re-order powder, now I need to mix it.. I am all ears..
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Follow the link woolfam posted. Darkzero provides a nice description of his method there (clear 2-ton epoxy, slow cure).

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
woolfam said:
Check out this thread.
I bought a half oz. and mixed it in about half a bottle of clear nail polish. I used it in the ring around the head of my Nuwai Q-III.
288874.jpg

It looks like this when charged.
288875.jpg

It glows bright enough for a few minutes that you could read by it. Six or seven hours later, it is still bright enough to easily find it in the dark.

I started by carefully sanding the groove and then applying a layer of Kilz (you could use White Out) to give it a white base coat. I then applied about 5 thin layers of the nail polish / powder mix.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the link!
In reading your post I have a question, your mix ratio, did you mix 1/2 oz to a half bottle of clear nail polish? Did it take that much to get the job done? also, would the nailpolish/powder mix stay usable in the nail polish jar for an extended time, like a month or two?
Ok, more than one question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi, Always a good game plan to blame someone else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
don't always work but still a game plan.
I will stick my allready stuck out neck one more time.
Mix slowly in a small container. Nail polish evaporates fast
too much powder sludges up I know what I mean hope you get it as well. Yes I know I do not spell well and I toss in a
. ,; " ( ) at times to bust it up abit, anyway good luck
if it goes south bigtime blame Topper:eek:
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Hi Pydie, Topper-stuff and greenie, I poured the powder right into the nail polish bottle, it has been recommended to me by the manufacturer of my product, which is brand new to the world market by the way, that a MAX of 30% is all you will need. Work out the volume of the medium and use a 30% powder mix ratio. A white background is recommended, I'm unsure about white-out though, I think there may be some chemical properties in it that may react as a solvent perhaps?? (Not 100% sure).

These guys do a water based paint amongst other things which will have ZERO solvents in it, so its safe to ship O/S too. It's a water soluable powder, in liquid form I believe.

Apparently it has shaken up things all over Japan and word is things are looking red hot in the Northern USA too.

Being a new product it'll take time to get around but its advantages will ensure a strong foot in the door in its market.

Anyhoo, sorry for my ramble... My powder did sludge up at first - I just poured it in in one go but with this stuff being super fine it mixed with a minute of vigorous shaking.

I'm at a loss for things to use the polish on though - I'm looking around at every little possibility around my workshop and home.

Any of you guys gone and glowed up some unusual things?

Tim.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that if I carry around the bottle of polish in my pocket it stays loose. A combination of agitation and increased temp. seems to keep the mixture flowing.

Latest posts