Propolymer 4AA and lithium AA cells (don't)

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Propolymer 4AA and lithium AA cells (don\'t)

Add my name to the list of Propolymer 4AA owners who blew their xenon bulb by using 1.7V lithium cells. I had used the light all of 8 minutes intermittently over several weeks, marveling at its throw. But this evening, after 30 seconds of use, the bulb went dark without a sound.

I'm committed to using lithium cells in all my lights, so it's adios, 4AA xenon. I wonder when BrightGuy will stock the Luxeon replacement assembly. It will work in my xenon body, yes?

I'm happy to report that my Propolymer 2AA xenon has fared better. I ran a set of lithiums in a single session until they died a 30-minute death, some 6 to 6.5 hours later. Once I give away my UK 2AA and twistie Mitylite, this light will be the only incandescent I own...and probably the last one I'll ever buy.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Propolymer 4AA and lithium AA cells (don\'t)

If you want a comparable xenon light, try a Princeton Tec PT40 with a 5-cell Mag xenon bulb. It should do fine on the voltage of 4 lithiums.

chumley

Enlightened

I ran my PT Vortec headlamp with 4AA lithiums and the Mag 4 cell xenon bulb and the bulb didn't blow on the first set of batteries. I changed the set up to 4 nimh's and a 3 cell krypton bulb, so I don't know how many hours the 4 cell xenon bulb can run on lithiums.

David_Campen

Enlightened

I use the UK4AA with the 4 watt xenon bulb and lithium batteries. According to Flashlightreviews the UK4AA with 4 watt bulb has the same throw and better overall output than the Streamlight Propolymer 4-AA xenon.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/chart_throw.htm

I have a couple of these UK4AA, 4-watt bulb, lithium AA battery setups. The bulbs seem to handle the lithium cells fine. I only have a couple of hours of burn time but many on-off cycles and haven't lost a bulb yet.

Here is a review of the UK4AA. I buy the non-rechargeable UK4AA and replace the standard 2-watt lamp with the 4-watt lamp intended for the rechargeable.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/uk_4aa_nimh.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/uk_4aa.htm

David_Campen

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
try a Princeton Tec PT40 with a 5-cell Mag xenon bulb. It should do fine on the voltage of 4 lithiums.

[/ QUOTE ]
You might even find that this combination is underdriven. Closed-circuit voltage is so highly dependant on battery chemistry, load, size and even brand.

Energizer Lithium AA cells produce a voltage of about 1.4 volts under loads of 0.5-1.0 A. The Propolymer bulb might find the Batterystation Lithium AAs more acceptable as they produce about 1.3 volts under these loads.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was using Batterystation AA lithiums. In fact, they're the only cell, of any size, that I use among all my lights--even my Propolymer 3C LED.

I'm a big fan of UK. However, I'm using this event as a milestone toward moving to 100 percent LED lights. I value flood over throw, and it's hard to beat the broad, white beam of a multiLED flashlight.