Is the Inova T3 really 85 lumens?

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

The ad for the Inova T3 claims that it produces 85 lumens, but in the output chart at flashlightreviews.com, the T3 comes in far below the Surefire P60, E2d, and U2(level 2). If those Surefires are producing around 60 to 65 lumens, then isn't the T3 with 85 lumens logically supposed to be placed higher in the chart than those Surefires?

I really want to get the T3, but seeing that chart makes me think that it produces much less light than i thought.

bole64

Newly Enlightened
I have a T3 and i love it. I think it is ~80 Lumens. But remember, those LED's can have different light levels (the lottery?). I think it is a great light. I used to have the SF 6P as an EDC, but with short run time and what not, I switched to the T3 when I got it. My little brother has the T2 that is also a good light. I would recommend the T3. A very tough, bright little light.

Mark2

Enlightened
The T3 is nowhere near 85 lumens, it's probably somewhere in the 45-55 lumens range. But Inova is not the only manufacturer to state "theoretical" numbers.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, a number of people have tested their lights on gadget lover cat box meter. While it is not exactly NIST, it is surprisingly, and sometimes painfully, truthful.

I do not think I have ever heard of a Lux III based light getting past 50 Lumens in the tester, and most were in the 30s. Someone please correct me if I am off base here.

bole64

Newly Enlightened
I don't know. I have the T3 and the 6P, and I think the T3 is brighter. You are comparing an incan and a LED, so it looks a little messed up, but I do believe it is brighter. I will take some beam shots tonight with the P60 LA in the 6P.

Warhoggie

Enlightened
I think 85 lumens is hype. Heck if i remember correctly, the Surefire L4 is a 5 watt led, and only claims 65ish lumens. The T3 is only a 3.2 watt led, and claiming 85 lumens??? Logic says it's hype. It only appears bright due to the optics focusing all the light into one hotspot.

My 2 cents.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens and Lux are not the same. I think its Hype too cuz my SF L5 & L6 are brighter over all. The Hot spot on the Inova is quite well focused and has more concentrated light and may produce higher Lux reading on meter but not more total light output.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova's advertisements are probably overstating the output by a factor of 2. I no longer have my T3, but I remember that the BugOutGearUSA drop-in module put out more light than the T3, and the Surefire L4 put out way more light. Still, the T3 is a good light if you want an "all throw" LED flashlight and if you don't mind that it's rather large and heavy for its class.

Unfortunately, Inova joins a whole crowd of manufacturers (Streamlight and Nuwai are two other well-known offenders) whose advertised lumen ratings greatly exceed reality. The most absurd case of exaggeration has to be the Nuwai QIII, which is advertised as putting out 75 lumens. Someone measured the actual output and it came out to something like 22 lumens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

cslinger

Enlightened
I would guess the T3 to be right around 45-50 lumens out the front of the glass. It really is a bright light with a lot of throw. Unless you want a flood light or get really hung up on published numbers I don't think you will regret picking up a T3 it really is a marvelous light especially considering the price to performance ratio.

Personally I think Surefire under rates there lumens slightly while others over state slightly.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I notcied that Surefire uses the AVERAGE bin specs for their lights, such as in the case of the U2 wheere they changed the published figure from 100 to 80 lumens. Unlike companies like Nuwai which publishes the highest possible out put under full power(75 lumens for a Q-3 on one cell? yeah right....) I'm guessing the T3 uses a bin with 75 as top output and drives it at slightly lower levels for longer runtime. The "possible" outcome is what a lot of companies other than SF publishes...I like the T3 though, it's got a very nice color and I was lucky enough to buy it off another CPFer so I didn't have to pay the full price for it. I came to appreciate after the fisnish endured keys, coins, and tools in my bags.

Nick