Left lane hogs - BEWARE!!!!!!!

TomH

Newly Enlightened
Just copied this off of AOL news.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Target: Left Lane Hogs - Finally!
by Eric Peters

Some good news: Left lane hogs are finally getting the attention they deserve from traffic cops -- and traffic laws.

In at least two states -- Colorado and Florida -- cops are begiining to target drivers who squat in the far left lane and refuse to move right to let faster-moving traffic get by. For decades, these drivers have been allowed to create rolling roadblocks and interrupt the smooth (and therfore safe) flow of traffic with virtual impunity because "faiure to yield" laws were either not on the books -- or not enforced. And twenty-plus years of ddumbed-down, politicized "driver's education" and "safety" campaigns had effectively propagandized the populace into believing their was only one cardinal sin -- "speeding."

And so the focus of traffic "safety" enforcement was speed limit laws -- which of course were often ridiculous (the best example being the 55-mph National Maximum Speed Limit that Congress finally repealed in 1995. But these under-posted, artificially low speed limits were found to be very useful in terms of generating an unforseen flow of easy money for state and local governments -- who soon became addicted. And it was so much easier for traffic cops to simply shoot fish in a barrel with their radar guns -- because almost every car on the road was going faster than the absurdly low posted limits.

Much easier than actually looking for dangerous drivers, anyhow.

This is finally changing, though.

In Colorado, state police have written more than 500 tickets to left lane hogs since the beginning of the year; in Florida, a bill is on the legilstive docket that would impose a $60 fine and four DMV "demerit points" on the driving record of motorists who refuse to allow faster moving traffic by.

Twenty years ago, this would have been an unthinkable violation of the politically correct orthodoxy that onle "speed kills" -- and therefore only enforcing speed limits (no matter how absurd or contrived) matters.

But in fact, people who refuse to move right represent a major traffic safety hazard -- whether "they doing the speed limit" (as they often bleat in self-righteous high dudgeon) or not.

By refusing to allow other motorists to get by, the left lane dawdler causes traffic to back up unnaturally; drivers then angrily jockey for position -- and typically are forced into making a passing attempt in the right lane to get around the hog -- who seems to get some sort of weird passive-aggressive satisfaction from his obstinancy.

The situation is frustrating, distracting -- and very unsafe. In fact, the lack of reflexive lane courtesy in this country is arguably the biggest single safety problem we have -- not "speeding."

Consider the example of Germany -- where yielding to faster-moving traffic is part of the national culture and adhered to religiously. As a result, it is possible for the Germans to have unlimited speed Autobahns -- where drivers in the left lane often overtake other cars at tripe digit speeds. But because German drivers are taught to use their mirrors -- and immediately move right to allow faster-moving approaching cars to pass -- they have a lower accident and fatality rate than we do here in the United States with our dumbed-down speed limits.

It will take time for the facts about the danger of left lane hogging to sink into the general consciousness -- the consequence of 20-plus years of neglect and outright disinformation peddled by know-nothing "safety" advocates.

But, at last, things are beginning to change for the better.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some left lane hogs are simply unaware of what they're dong. But as we've seen from the previous thread, some are perfectly aware, but feel that it's more important to keep speeders from speeding, than to ensure a safe and effective flow of traffic or to follow the law as far as yielding in the left lane (breaking speed laws bad, breaking yield laws good, apparently). I don't condone speeding, but "rolling roadblocks" make an already-dangerous situation even worse. I've seen internet debates where folks steadfastly maintain that "there's nothing special about the left lane, I can stay in it no matter what" even in the face of evidence of laws requiring yielding to faster traffic.

Enforcing failure-to-yield laws is a good idea, but I imagine it's difficult to do. Once an LEO is spotted, basically everyone in every lane starts doing the speed limit, so it creates an artificial traffic bubble around the LEO -- i.e., the presence of a ground-based LEO Heisenbergs the situations. You can probably only spot left lane hogs from the air, and from there, you might be more tempted to ticket the speeder than the left lane hog, though both deserve tickets.

Or maybe I'm wrong and we can open up some eyes here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
PS Among the great quotes from the article:

[ QUOTE ]
But in fact, people who refuse to move right represent a major traffic safety hazard -- whether "they doing the speed limit" (as they often bleat in self-righteous high dudgeon) or not.

By refusing to allow other motorists to get by, the left lane dawdler causes traffic to back up unnaturally; drivers then angrily jockey for position -- and typically are forced into making a passing attempt in the right lane to get around the hog -- who seems to get some sort of weird passive-aggressive satisfaction from his obstinancy.

The situation is frustrating, distracting -- and very unsafe. In fact, the lack of reflexive lane courtesy in this country is arguably the biggest single safety problem we have -- not "speeding."

[/ QUOTE ]

Also agreed with the section on Germany, worth a read and some thinking.

TomH

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
zespectre said:
Oh Lord, don't get me started!

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't tell me that you support these inconsiderate lane blockers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I can't stand it <grin>
The DC metro area sure could use these laws, on the books and enforced. I have lost count of the number of times I've been on the beltway (4 lanes or more each way) and LEO and F&R have to drive ON THE SHOULDER or on the grassy median to get where they are going. Of course Virginia doesn't help this situation any with all the stupid left hand exits!

Left lane-Passing and Emergency Vehicles ONLY! Have that cop/firetruck/ambulance (being forced to roll over all the trash on the shoulder to respond to an accident/emergency) videotape the line of cars clogging up the left lane and send a reminder to every one of the drivers? Billboards? I don't know what the answer is but something needs to be done.

On a more humorous note though, I have an ex-pat British friend who habitually rides in the left "because it feels right". We're trying to gently break him of the habit.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Talmadge said:
snip - some are perfectly aware, but feel that it's more important to keep speeders from speeding...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I wonder if they know that their behavior could be seen as "vigilante" action since it's not their job to enforce the law and actually is usually illegal for them to do so.

Okay, I'm going to stop ranting on this. It's a pet peeve of mine but I'd rather discuss flashlights vs getting my blood pressure up before my commute home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

TomH

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
zespectre said:
Okay, I can't stand it <grin>
The DC metro area sure could use these laws, on the books and enforced. I have lost count of the number of times I've been on the beltway (4 lanes or more each way) and LEO and F&R have to drive ON THE SHOULDER or on the grassy median to get where they are going. Of course Virginia doesn't help this situation any with all the stupid left hand exits!

Left lane-Passing and Emergency Vehicles ONLY! Have that cop/firetruck/ambulance (being forced to roll over all the trash on the shoulder to respond to an accident/emergency) videotape the line of cars clogging up the left lane and send a reminder to every one of the drivers? Billboards? I don't know what the answer is but something needs to be done.

On a more humorous note though, I have an ex-pat British friend who habitually rides in the left "because it feels right". We're trying to gently break him of the habit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whew!!! You had me worried there for a minute. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Under Calif. law, a vehicle in the left most lane doen't have to yield to the right if that vehicle is doing the speed limit:

"Minimum Speed Law
22400. (a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law."

Those vehicles that use the left most lane on a freeway as their personal Autobahn are breaking the law, regardless:

"Excessive Speed and Designated Lane Use

22348. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, ( )1 a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater than that speed limit."

Common courtesy should prevail, and it would be better if the slower moving vehicle yielded the "fast lane" to the knucklehead doing 90+, but the droiver isn't obligated to do so.

In my opinion, the road-rage type driver who flies up to slower moving cars in the fast lane, with the headlights flashing and horn honking, are more dangerous than the slower moving vehicle.

Speed kills. And tailgaters cause most freeway related traffic accidents.

At least, for me, living in The Bay Area, traffic flow is so bad and congested that the whole left-lane issue never really happens.

-dan

jtr1962

Flashaholic
If speed limits were set at the 95th percentile for limited access highways as they used to be until the 55 mph limit, then the driver doing 90 mph most likely would be driving at or under the speed limit. 90 or 100 is perfectly safe on many of today's highways with today's vehicles, and that is exactly why people drive at those speeds. Also note that I'm referring here to a 90 mph free-flowing traffic condition. An idiot who lane bombs at 90 on a curvy road where most only feel comfortable doing 60 or 65 is very dangerous, and deserves a summons. The left lane hog situation will only be solved once we again set speed limits according to accepted traffic engineering practice.

P.S. The majority of European limited-access roads do have speed limits, but these are typically 130 to 150 km/hr ( 81 to 93 mph). This is a sensible range for the current state of automotive technology. Also, speed limits should be reviewed and raised if need be every 5 or so years because average speeds have gone up by about 5 mph every decade pretty much since the automobile was invented.

cy

Flashaholic
even worst than left lane hogs are folks who pair up and drive parallel down the road for miles at exactly the speed limit.

talk about blocking traffic, can't get by either lane.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I watched a History Channel special on the Autobahn. It's not a wide open speed zone. There are variable speed signs all over the place.

More accidents happen when changing lanes or changing speed than any other time. This is a documented fact. To make believe that a person driving 95 MPH in a 55 zone is NOT the cause of an ensuing accident is rather naive. Anyone driving at 95 who can not handle a car suddenly stalled in the road ahread, or with a blown tire that veers in front of them does not deserve to be driving at that speed.

To deride the 55 MPH law as being anti speed is disingenuous. It was enacted to
save gas which was in short supply at the time. The discovery that fatalities went down was serendipitous. It makes sense, though, that if you have 15% more time to respond in an emergency that you could avoid more accidents. That 15% comes from the shorter stopping distance and the shorter distance traveled while you are reacting.

I travel the speed limit. My cars are well maintained. I get there in one piece. I get there in a reasonable amount of time.

I don't understand why some folks feel they have the right to tell me that I can't use 1/4 or 1/3 or even 1/2 of my freeway just so they can break the law and make it less safe for all of us. Just don't understand it.

Daniel

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I drive a 50mph surface street home every afternoon. The "formation" drivers with their purple-tinted windows doing 35 on the wide-open street/road are a too-frequent annoyance! It cannot be other than deliberate!

Larry

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Driving down a popular MA four lane 65 mph speed limit interstate when traffic permits, here are the average speeds.

right first lane:60-65
second lane: 65-70
third lane: 70-75
forth left lane: 75-80

For the most part drivers follow this unwritten rule but many, myself included, often pass on the right. I generally go between the third and fourth lane and when in the fourth lane if a driver overtakes me, I'll try to get in the third lane as quick as reasonably and safely possible. Those who wish to go more the 80 mph I'm willing to bet are not at the lowest (step 9) MA insurance level.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently started driving, and I took a trip with my dad to San Diego one weekend. People around the L.A. and San Diego want to go 70-80 usually. Being a beginner, I went 65, and it was hard seeing everybody pass me, but I was following the law. FYI, I stayed in the right two lanes the vast majority of the time.

Luckily, around where I live, people are happy going 60-70, so I can fit in nicely.

Is it okay to go 75 when everybody else is, but the speed limit is 65?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:

I don't understand why some folks feel they have the right to tell me that I can't use 1/4 or 1/3 or even 1/2 of my freeway just so they can break the law and make it less safe for all of us. Just don't understand it.

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

Daniel, it's not that you can't use part of the highway. It's that there is a convention -- sometimes enforced by law, which is what started this thread -- that makes it safer for everyone if you pass left, drive right. Think of it as just like a traffic light: the light is red for some folks, so that you don't hit folks going in the perpendicular direction. No one complains about "I don't understand how they can tell me I can't go through the intersection at a particular time", because traffic lights are what's needed to keep a safe traffic flow, and "pass left" is exactly the same, sometimes codified by law and sometimes not, but always something that keeps everyone safer and traffic flowing better.

I read an interesting definition of an "A-hole" (let's say "jerk", since this is a family group /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), ironically in a driving group. Definition: a jerk is someone who, faced with an already dangerous situation, makes it even more dangerous.

The definition is interesting because two people can be in the wrong. If someone tailgates me, he's a jerk. If I slam on my brakes to teach him a lesson, now I'm a jerk too. Now, given a person who finds lots of people speeding on the highway (arguably, the speeders are jerks) and who obstinately stays in the left lane forcing passing on the right, angry cut-offs, etc. -- has he made an already-dangerous situation even more dangerous? More importantly, why would purposely do that, when it's safer for you to drive right, and will get you there just as quickly?

It's not about telling you you can't use 1/3 of the highway. It's about applying the same rule to everyone, for everyone's safety, and for the best traffic flow. If you're insulted by that, you should be insulted by traffic lights, stop signs, yield signs, etc.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It's also in the self-interest of the left-lane hog to get out of the way of speeders so as to avoid getting rear-ended. Not only do left-lane hogs make an inherently dangerous situation more dangerous, but they even endanger themselves with their own stupidity. It's also irrelevent whether or not the speeder is breaking the law. That's up to the police to deal with, not some self-appointed highway vigilante. As I said, set the speed limits at the 95th percentile. The left lane hogs will suddenly find they now have no legal or moral grounds to be doing what they do.

[ QUOTE ]

Driving down a popular MA four lane 65 mph speed limit interstate when traffic permits, here are the average speeds.

right first lane:60-65
second lane: 65-70
third lane: 70-75
forth left lane: 75-80

[/ QUOTE ]
This vividly illustrates how out of whack speed limits are with actual driving reality when even the slowest drivers are traveling at or barely below the limit. The exact opposite should be true-only the fastest 5% should be exceeding the posted limit. I think of current speed limits as a modern version of prohibition-pointless and impossible to enforce.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Texas to \"Tone Down\" Sexy Cheerleaders

That will be the day,

When I get a ticket for ONLY going 20 MPH over the speed limit, when others want to go 30-40 MPH over the speed limit!!

Law makers have too much time on their hands!

Here is some REAL LEGISLATION from our TEXAS Law makers!
Texas to "Tone Down" Sexy Cheerleaders

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
In the last three posts I see law abiding citizens derided as "lane hogs", "endangering themselves" and (obliquely) "jerks".

I also see a perception that a person doing the speed limit in the left lane is "forcing" a law breaker to pass on the right.

I see the recommendation that moving to the right when a car is closing at 90 MPH is a good idea.

I see a total lack of understanding that I may be in the left lane to pass the car doing 63 one lane over. Or that I will get out of your way, as soon as it can be done safely.

The convention in this country is codified into law. The convention says that you will not drive dangerously faster than surrounding traffic. The convention says you are driving unsafely if you are not able to safely handle unexpected hazards.

Tailgaters are unsafe because they can not respond fast enough to an emergency. Speeders suffer the same problem. If MY ratty old ford explorer blows a tire at 65 MPH and you are about to pass me at 90 MPH, someone stands a better chance of dying than they would if you were also doing 65 MPH.

Think about it. My wife was rear ended on the freeway onramp while driving 45 MPH. The damage was minor because the other car was only doing 50.

Yes, two stupids make a bad situation worse, but it's not possible for everyone to drive safely at 90 MPH, but it is possible at 65 MPH.

Three facts to consider:

Some people are quite happy doing the speed limit, the majority, in fact. The exception is right after getting a ticket.

90% of all drivers in traffic school rated themselves as above average drivers.

A large percentage of drivers speed at some point; a billion flies eat cow dung. That does not make it a good thing to do.

Daniel