Simple Jil 1.3w(UP) mod with Sandwich

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Hi, all!

Just recently I have purchased the new Jil 1.3w (Upgraded), and I can't hardly say enough praise with this new favorite keychain EDC of mine...UCL lens, metal reflector, HAIII body, small form factor...

And some of you might know, I am a big fan for minimag mod and drop-ins, and then the question just dawn on me--hey, why not put a sammie in the Jil 1.3w?

Many thanks to the resourcefulness/creativity of the CPF members/modders, Nekomane had shown his success with the sammie in Jil in TIN's thread about 'Jil CR2 mod'

After playing around with some parts and dry fitting, I had came up with another simple solution of mine, and here is the step-by-step 10 minutes mod:

Here are the parts you will need:
1 Jil 1.3w Upgraded
1 Sammie (featured is BBNG 750 TX1J)
1 Contact PCB longbow (from Sandwich Shoppe)

For accessing the original sammie, all you need to do is to unscrew the head with reflectors, and insert a small long-nosed pillar and unscrew the retaining ring. Nice and clean, and no need for boiling or freezing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/caution.gif Caution /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/caution.gif Be careful not scratch the lux when you tightening or untightening the retaining ring!

Here are the parts of the Jil 1.3w Upgraded. Notice the reflector is different from the old version. The comparison of these two reflectors could be found in Etendue's sale link or my Minimag mod link. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Left: TX1J BBNG 750, Right: Jil 1.3w UP sammie with Micro Puck
The original Micropuck is trully wonderful and give satisfying runtime/brightness, considering capacity of the CR2 used.

Next, center the Jil sammie on top of the Longbow contact PCB, and based on the Jil bottom contact board, draw a circle on the contact PCB.

Haha...you'd probably guess it, simply dremel out that circle carefully and do not make it too small. So dremel and fit til it can past the threads but not the bottom retaining ring; it will snuggly fit into the Jil body.

But before putting the PCB into the body, double check the sandwich you are putting into the Jil with this cut-out contact PCB--make sure when you place it on top of the PCB, the negative Vin area of the PCB is not touching the center positive Vin; even when you place sammie at the edge of the PCB.

Now put in the PCB with sammie on top, do make sure the PCB is flushed with the bottom retaining ring. and put back the metal retaining ring on top of sammie. There is no need to overtightening it and do allow the sammie to have just a very little room to move slightly laterally.

Next carefully put the head assembly back on, and the reflector will position the lux in the middle. Do it gently and no lux crashing...and viola! You have just done a simple mod with Jil 1.3w!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Afterwards, I go play with my Jil 1.3w UP modded with BBNG 750 sammie, and the output is noticeable different. It does get warm about 1-2 minutes, since the body is so small. But so far using it few minutes of a time, I haven't run into any problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If heat/runtime is an issue, you could consider using a more a sammie with less current drive, such as a lux I MM lite.

Anyway, hoped you enjoy modding it and thank you for reading! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif