which one??? infinity ultra or peak Matterhorn?

Robban

Enlightened
Re: which one??? infinity ultra or peak Matterhorn

Do you need it right now? You might want to hold out for the upcoming ArcAAA Rev4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened

That's an easy question. Answer: get 'em both!

My PEAK 3-LED Matterhorn has surprising throw for a slender 1-AAA. I use an L-92 lithium battery and it makes a noticeable difference in overall brightness. The smaller (but plenty tough) PEAK also makes a more comfortable neck-lanyard light than the Ultra.

My Infinity Ultra-G is, as many other have described, built like a tank. It's not as cosmetically refined as the Matterhorn, the battery rattles a bit (minor, easily fixed), but it's much more of a long-distance run-time champ. I noticed that an L91 lithium battery also made it brighter, particularly in extending its throw. Its short-range flood-spill excedes the PEAK's, too.

If cost is a factor, the various Inf-Ultra variants cost about 1/2 the price of a Matterhorn. YMMV, but I seem to use my Matterhorn much more, espec. for inside tasks, because it's size makes it just more handy.

The new/revised Arcs sound wonderful, but I bet they'll be tough to come by for a while and, despite Peter Gransee's fine reputation, most any new product seems to need a shake-down period for de-bugging.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love my new peak AAA lug body ultra power brighter, better made, has real throw, plus spill.

I intend to get a new ARC or two also, so but to be honest i have a new nichia and a 26K and peak with th newest LED and circuit. and there is not a real big difference between
them, then the throw of the 26K and peak.(who has a custom shopt if you want to put something else in). Looks wise which I don't really care about, i like the peak and next the new ARC. just some really nice lghtout and coming! VDG

paulr

Flashaholic

Ultra-G's and old-style Ultras have gotten hard to find, and the new Ultra is a little bit controversial. The Peaks are higher ticket lights and it seems to me that they're built with a bit more care than the current Ultras.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened

As paulr indicates, the old/original/sought-after CMG (not the newer Gerber-branded version) Infinity Ultras ARE becoming very hard to find.

I recently found some at Strobe-Direct. I believe Factory 101 and The Product Wizard also have them. Anyone have any other leads on 'em?

The Infinity Ultra-G (with tough HA green finish) is even harder to find. County.com has some, but you gotta buy an Inova T3 to get one (still a pretty good deal).

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been experimenting with different battery configurations in my 3-LED Matterhorn. The L92 lithium cell gives a very strong initial brightness--almost as much total output as the UK 4AA eLED. That intensity doesn't last long, however. I still have that partially used lithium cell but haven't yet tested how well it will perform over days of continued use.

The NiMH cell gives flatter brightness than an alkaline cell, but with a reduced initial brightness as you might expect. It seems to run out after 2-3 days of intermittent use, but I have two cells that I can just recharge and rotate.

paulr

Flashaholic

I wonder whether the LED itself can be losing brightness. My Peak isn't brand new any more and I don't have a way to do measurements. If you put a new lithium into it, does it seem to get its original brightness back?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here'z some of the data pulled out from my review Thread.. May be this help's you in helping decide ...

Have a Look.... At Peak's Matterhorn ... Its a 1 AAA, 3 LED Matterhorn Stainless Steel, High Power, Snow LED, Key chain Style Light
001_DCP_4458b.jpg

Simple, Yet Elegant. Lot of Thought has been put in this light.

Another View /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
002_DCP_4459b.jpg

The Business End
003_DCP_4449b.jpg

Size Comparison with the rather (in)famous Light
004_DCP_4451b.jpg

Size.. just little over 84 mm (excluding the Ring & Holding blob)
005_DCP_4453b.jpg

The DAY Light Beam Shot... Notice How White it is and it makes the camera sensor look surrounding dull!
006_DCP_4460b.jpg

And Finally!!!....Night time Beam Shot... its about 4 Feet from the Wall..
007_DCP_4461b.jpg

Left is Photon Freedom with FRESH Set of batteries ... (see the Angry Blue) .... and on Right... Peak's 3 LED Matterhorn ...
To My eyes... it's 4 - 6 times Brighter than Photon Freedom... and must be at least 2 Times Bright than the FredomMAX !...

Oh.. the Beam Quality.. is just superb... looks like WO Tint to me...

Since It's Stainless Steel, The problem of Wear & Tear is not there at all...

And the Verdict: Go for it !... and feel the difference.... & Be Happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

suertetres

Newly Enlightened

wow, awesome post...i'm going to be ordering one now!!!

evanlocc

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
scudinc said:
Get an Infinity Ultra. It's a great value with extraordinary runtime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, for now i would still vote for I-Ultra from your options /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

gorlank

Enlightened

Great pics, Viren. Thanks for sharing.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm waiting and w-a-i-t-i-n-g for Peak to upgrade their 1AA Kilimanjaro line. Mine is beautiful to behold and silky smooth to use, but the Hi Output 5LED head has been left in the dust by the Matterhorn. I suspect they'll soon announce a Luxeon Kilimanjaro, a 5LED Ultra, or both.

I agree with ViReN. I've got both (Inf. Ultra and Peak Matterhorn). On a direct comparative basis, the Matterhorn (brass, stainless steel, or aluminum) blows the Infinity Ultra away. Pay a little more, get a LOT more bang for your buck.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I wonder whether the LED itself can be losing brightness. My Peak isn't brand new any more and I don't have a way to do measurements. If you put a new lithium into it, does it seem to get its original brightness back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. In fact, the old lithium battery is very bright also. It seems to have recovered its "kick" after resting for several days (after a few hours or less, I'm sure). It just can't sustain the blinding output for many minutes on end without giving the battery a rest.

I'm not sure if you want to use the lithium cell if you have the ultra-power version (mine is hi-power). You might fry the LEDs.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast

thats a nice beam shot

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Nemul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif