maybe I should stay away from batteries for awhile

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was chatting with a co-worker today when suddenly my left pants pocket started getting hot - REALLY hot! I scrambled to empty the contents of my pocket and realized that the source of the heat was a CR123. My pocket was full of coins and a Leatherman micra, but I figured I was safe because the chances of shorting across both terminals of my spare 123 were virtually zero. Apparently I was wrong.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The battery (and the Leatherman) got so hot that it warped the corner of my ATM card! I had to use a heat gun to flatten it out so it would be usable again.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Maybe I should EDC a spare CR123 in some sort of protective holder.

Empath

Flashaholic
Re: maybe I should stay away from batteries for aw

Don't carry any uninsulated battery in your pocket.

A google search

The incident is really a rather common occurance.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Hmm, would I find such a holder in the camping goods area of stores?

I'm pretty embarrased over this. I should've known better, especially after my previous battery incident the other week!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

matt_j

Enlightened

Imagine if ya had a book of matches in yer pocket?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
matt_j said:
Imagine if ya had a book of matches in yer pocket?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. That definitely would've been a combustive moment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

The matches would have to get very hot to ignite. But still though!!
I remeber a post on here describing the same thing with coins!! Don't remember who though..

Luman

Newly Enlightened

I bought a small metal pill carrier at a CVS pharmacy for just under $5 that is almost perfect to house a CR123 battery. The inside diameter is a little larger and the inside is slightly longer than the CR123. I put a small piece of foam in the bottom to get rid of any rattle, and although not necessary since the foam is an insulator (and the anode is recessed), placed a piece of electrical tape on the underside of the threaded cap. I've also seen them at other pharmacies but can't recall which ones.

John

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Forgive me, but /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Somebody needs to do a group buy on caplugs.

Larry

cy

Flashaholic

thanks Larry, I've been looking for a supplier, plugs for masking.

Mednanu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
I was chatting with a co-worker today when suddenly my left pants pocket started getting hot - REALLY hot!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I've "<font color="blue">warmed my huevos</font>" from jingling keys and a few NiCd's in my pocket before. It's much more dangerous given the output power and explosive tendancies of Lithium batteries on overload though. And unlike rock stars in leather pants, I no longer carry batteries in my pockets anymore...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think I'm gonna hit my local Home Depot and look for a rubber cap that'll fit a 123. I hate the way that the QIII fizzles with little or no warning so I'd like to be able to carry a spare battery without having to add yet another gizmo on an already crowded belt (2 cell phones and the QIII).

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I had a box of matches ignite themselves in my left front pocket while I was on a campout with the Boy Scouts when I was 12 or so; needless to say, it was rather unpleasant, and burned a hole in my pants. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I don't remember ever having a cell or battery short out in my pocket though.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

must have been self strike kind (I love those) or they rubbed the strick strip somehow! ouch!
self strick are fun to throw down at concrete walls/ground and hear them pop and ignite!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Hey Isaac,

Try dropping them down the barrel of a BB gun, with no BB;s! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought they don't allow strike anywhere matches to be sold anymore because kids were doing "stuff" like Tvodrd decscribed

They banned strike anywhere matches in my area because kids were makeing "tennis ball bombs" out of them. You did this by cutting a hole in the tennis ball and packing it full of strike anywhere matches. When you throw the tennis ball and it hits something, the matches strike against each other and the tennis ball explodes. I've remembered a story (probably an urban legend) but there was a version that mentioned my area. Someone's dog found an unexploded tennis ball bomb and picked it up in its mouth then bit down causing it to detonate and kill the dog

Now speaking of batteries, I've blindly put a 9 volt in my pocket with some change. When that heated up; ouch

Someone I knew packed his tool belt once with some screws in the pocket then added a spare fully charged charged 14.4 volt De-Walt pack. Lots of sparks, smoke and a melted battery pack. Moral; always put your battery in terminal-side up

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

You could have pulled a Yosemite Sam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

I think I vaguely recall seeing a type of match that had a colored dot of chemical on the head in addition to the usual phosphorous coating. Is this a strike-anywhere match?
I haven't seen them in decades.

jtice

Flashaholic

NEVER carry ANY battery LOOSE !!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
You are lucky you felt that getting hot !

I may have some rubber caps to place on the ends of 123 dia cells soon.

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast

didn't bugoutgear have a sale going on battery carriers not too long ago?

doug