Just finished my XM-3 mod with 190 lumen R/O lux.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy #$@% is this sucker bright! I can still see a spot when I acidentally hit the button. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Pics coming soon.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Just finished my XM-3 mod with 190 lumen R/O

No, not soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif PICS NOW!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

Heh. Did you just do a direct swap? What optics are you using? What batteries?

Since I have a 60+ lumen R/O thrower in a 2C mag, and since the luxIII doesn't throw any more in the mag reflector, it would be redundant to build another mag with one of these. So I'm building a sneaky pocketable light that I can just flood a dark hall/room/theatre with 200+ lumens of evil light.
So any posts I see makes me more excited to make it become reality... The host is on it's way...

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened

This sounds pretty cool!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm. Ok, you lied. I've been sitting at this same thread for hours now!! What do you mean exactly by "soon"? heheheh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know you have them... show me the pics!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where are them pics? I may want to do the same with my XM-3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jeff

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm using the stock reflector for now, but I'm ordering an optic for it. The light is only drawing 1amp so the stock circuit is holding it back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Some of the pics.
ROluxpic1.sized.jpg

About 2 feet from the wall.
ROluxpic2.sized.jpg

Same distance just different angle.
ROluxpic4.sized.jpg

As you can see the RO lux does not focus nealy as good as the TX1K star in a costco light.
ROluxpic5.sized.jpg

A pic with the reflector off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

What other reflectors will fit the xm3? 20mm?
You could put the R/O in your costco, as chevrofreak did that and got 2amp pull from the batteries! Then you could use a 27mm IMS in it...

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very cool stuff! Y'all are killing me with the mods. I just got a couple of direct drive sammichs in the mail today, one with a red 1W and one with a t-rank r/o 1W. They are amazingly bright for the current and voltage that they run at.I have three of the monster r/o LUXIIIs sitting at home that I am dying to get put into something.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

When I find a decent optic or reflector to properly focus the R/O stars I'm going to mount them on a tri-sink in a 2C mag. Would 2 pila fit in a 2c mag? More importantly could they handle the huge current draw?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

chevrofreak: awesome mod, I love the 2 stage. You're like ok, pretty bright, then BAM!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif What optic is used? Did you use resistance or DD?

revolvergeek: cool, glad it made it safely. Did you get my PM? Who made the 1w R/O sammie if I may ask? I know what you should put the R/O LuxIII in. A tri-mag mod w/20mm!! 570lumens sounds like fun!

lasercrazy: nice, but I think you should go for quad sink for 760lumens! hahah

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

The body is a Streamlight 3AA, using the stock reflector and window. Everything inside was replaced, the positive contact had to be fabricated, a new heatsink was build, and the retaining ring was modified. It uses a 1ohm 2w resistor to drop the 4.5v to a safe level, then the low beam uses a 7ohm resistor in series with the 1ohm.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

chevrofreak: beam looks pretty nice with the stock reflector. Thanks for the resistance values. I actually like the DT toggle switch. Looks cool in that light. Like a light saber or something. Who's idea was it for dual brightness levels? Your's or 4x4Dragon's?

Everyone: I got a R/O mod in the works too coming up. It's not a tight beam (I have a R/O that throws already). But it's a sleeper!

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

It was my idea. Unfortunately the switch in his light died, whether it was from heat, current, or what, but I had to replace it either way. I figured if he had to live with a toggle switch sticking out the side I might as well add a low beam to it.

I mailed it off today, but before I did I cut the switch down to just over 1/2 its original length. I stupidly didn't take any pictures, so perhaps 4x4Dragon could when he receives it.

This is the switch I used. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11644&item=5977997560&rd=1

Sorry for the thread hijack!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

chevrofreak, I see. I love the low beam mode. Saves batteries, and is actually practical for close up night-vision saving indoors. When outside, then crank it up! Or you can fool people with the 2 levels. "That's not bright-- OWW!"

<back on topic>

lasercrazy: Does the circuit provide any regulation? Have you tried using old cells and see if it draws a decent amount from them? If not you might try just bypassing the circuit and DD off of 2 alkalines....

wtraymond

Enlightened

I just finished putting my new R/O in a DD 2D M@g. It's only pulling a bit over one amp with fresh alkalines. I believe the emitter is rated for max output at 1400ma. With a DD setup, you might be better off with NiMH Cs or sub-Cs or even AAs as they will discharge at higher rates than alkaline Ds.

The new 2900mah 1.5v lithium primaries the Battery Station is selling right now for $1 each might work very well.

I'm tempted to try a not-so-fresh-off-the-charger R123 also.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
chevrofreak said:
It was my idea. Unfortunately the switch in his light died, whether it was from heat, current, or what, but I had to replace it either way. I figured if he had to live with a toggle switch sticking out the side I might as well add a low beam to it.

I mailed it off today, but before I did I cut the switch down to just over 1/2 its original length. I stupidly didn't take any pictures, so perhaps 4x4Dragon could when he receives it.

This is the switch I used. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11644&item=5977997560&rd=1

Sorry for the thread hijack!

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, no pics!!!! she's going into hiding as soon as i receive her!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

just kidding, will post pics when i get a chance and actually get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

wtraymond: Seems as thought I thought right. The alkalines have the voltage, but they sag under load, dropping the voltage lower so it doesn't draw enough current. Using NiMH won't have that problem, but 2 NiMH is only ~2.4 volts. So you need either 3 batteries, a boost circuit that can handle over 2amps input current, or 3 batts and a buck stepdown convertor... Or well 3 batts and some resistance... Or 2 lithiums should handle it...

Lasercrazy what batteries were you using? NiMH or Alks? try both and see what happens..