cookware with HAIII

spock

Enlightened
shameless plug for sams club. they have a set of "members mark" pans that appear to be HAIII. seem to be a good copy of "calphalon" brand(very expensive). I like them so well that i bought two sets in case they discontinue them. currently they are $99.95 per set. the finish outside is very durable.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I don't like aluminum cookware as I think aluminum leaches into food. I have one piece of high quality cookware that is aluminum but I am very careful with it...no tomato-based or acidic foods.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also heard that aluminum cookware is not safe in the long run although I've still to read any findings supporting this. I've heard stainless steel is better.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I would think HA would be more resistant to acid than to base, as base takes it off! hehe. Acid is used in making HA. I wonder what HA is really? you can put hydrocloric acid on aluminum and release hydrogen gas and you're left with aluminum chloride, I wonder how hard that is? I wonder if it's a good conductor of heat? I think they use sulfuric acid in HA process? Oh well getting off topic here..

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're worried about the aluminum and alzheimer's don't be. That was a study from the 60's that has never been replicated since. And in any case the type of molecular aluminum that you might be exposed to from a pan while cooking is totally different than the reactive form that they were worried about there anyway. In 50 years of studying that horrible disease since then, aluminum just isn't the cause of it.

If you're worried about the teflon coating being toxic when overheated. Well, that just might be true, especially if you're a small bird which can be killed from the fumes from teflon coated heat lamps for instance. The effects on people at the expected exposure levels from cooking are very small though. Seems from initially looking at it that the negative effects on your health from the extra oil or butter you need to cook on a non-teflon coated pan would more than outweigh any concerns over the teflon itself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Aluminum cookware is safe. Stainless is better cause it's heavier and conducts heat better, but that too will leach into your food. Aluminum might be better in that regard if it's HA'ed at all as that will form a very strong and more or less permanent barrier.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im still adicted to cast iron it is so cool for a steak if ya want to sear juices in