RED Strontium / Europium Aluminate Glow Powder ?

Mednanu

Enlightened
Anybody know of a place that sells Strontium or Europium Aluminate glow powder in <font color="red">RED</font> ?

Mednanu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
luminaria said:
http://glowinc.com/detail.aspx?ID=19

[/ QUOTE ]Thanks for the effort luminaria, but the link you have referenced only sells Zinc Aluminate powder in Red ( which only glows for 10 minutes ), whereas Strontium and Europium based powders actually glow for 8 - 10 hours. I'm really hoping that someone even makes a long lasting Red glow powder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mednanu said: I'm really hoping that someone even makes a long lasting Red glow powder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be great. My green X1mod is cool, looks like the terminator, but the red glow only lasts 1-2 mins. Needs more, although the initial glow is very bright.

Ozric

Newly Enlightened
Re: RED Strontium / Europium Aluminate Glow Powder

I wonder whether it would work if you mixed regular glow powder with transparent red lacquer...

Mednanu

Enlightened

If the glow powder has a color to it, that color will 'mix' with the laquer and make a secondary color. For instance, if I mix blue glow powder with red laquer ( which ironically is one of the laquers that I'm using for this project), it would glow purple, because red+blue=purple. About the closest compromise I could swing here is to use Orange glow powder with a red laquer but I haven't even been able to find Orange in Strontium or Europium powders. 10 minutes of glow just wouldn't be useful to me.

Ozric

Newly Enlightened

Ah, that's what I had thought too. Unfortunately, even the white powder is zinc-based.

EDIT: I found this seller on eBay who sells orange Strontium-Al based powder, but I'm not sure how long the glowtime is, you might wanna ask.

Mednanu

Enlightened

It's kind of odd too. Of all the colors of glow powders that I would expect to find, RED would definitely be one that I'd expect to see a long lasting version of ( red, being the lowest energy wavelength of all the other colors ) and the fact that the red color in roadside flares already comes from Strontium salts in the first place. It would seem only natural that <font color="red">RED</font> glow powder would result....I wish.

<font color="blue">Edit</font>: I think I may have just found some <font color="orange">Orange</font> SA glow powder - still looking for red, but at least orange should do for now.

<font color="blue">Edit 2</font>: <font color="red">Tentative good news !</font> It looks like I just found a source for some <font color="red">RED</font> SA glow powder now too !!! This stuff appears to be brand new on the market but the guy I've been emailing says he may be ready to start selling it within another week or two. I'll be sure to post a link to where you can get it once he lets me know.

Mednanu

Enlightened

OK - The <font color="red">Red</font> SA powder has been ordered. I'll let you know how it looks once it flys into my snail mailbox. In the meantime, if you are totally desperate for it and don't wish to wait for the review/verdict to come in on the new powder, eBay user <font color="blue">troym859</font> is now selling the stuff. You can view his current SA powder auctions here.

Enjoy ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rscanady

Enlightened

I just ordered some too for a Project with a R/O Lux III, look forward to playing with this stuff

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
rscanady said:
I just ordered some too for a Project with a R/O Lux III, look forward to playing with this stuff

[/ QUOTE ]
You do realise though, that the R/O Luxeon LED will *NOT* charge the glow material, regardless of what color it is.
Just a FYI. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Turboman7

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
[ QUOTE ]
rscanady said:

[/ QUOTE ]
You do realise though, that the R/O Luxeon LED will *NOT* charge the glow material, regardless of what color it is.
Just a FYI. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Does the "charging" light have to be incan?

loalight

Enlightened

it needs to be short wavelength light- typically blue or shorter, although a lot of green might work. UV works very fast! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

loalight

Enlightened

np. I should have mentioned also, in response to some earlier posts: it is always best NOT to mix pigments with any fluorescent or phosphorescent molecule. You tend to lose a lot of your glowiness due to a phenomenon called 'quenching'. basically, your nice emitted green/blue/red photon tend to get absorbed by the pigment molecule sitting on top of it.

Here's a nice FAQ, see Q4:
http://www.prsbio.com/html/faq.html

Mednanu

Enlightened

So far, my L4 charges Orange, Yellow & Green, but won't get the Purple stuff to budge. I figure that <font color="purple">Purple</font> will need to be a UV-only charged powder. I guess that gives me a new reason to start crackin' on my 1W UV mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rscanady

Enlightened

I thought about that due to the no UV in that spectrum, is this correct. The red glow powder was going to be more of a fun thing with ambient light type thing. Thanks for the info though.

Ryan