Colored Alephs, SF L2 -- Beamshots

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I just recieved my second wonderful McGizmo Aleph 3 today, and took some time tonight to take some "beamshots" outside. The McGizmo Alephs are both Aleph-3s, one in red-orange at 1000 mA, and one in cyan at 917 mA, both Luxeon IIIs with 2x123 bodies. (Thank you, Isaac Hayes, for parting with your cyan Lux III!) Don, your lights are superb!

The red-orange should put out something like 140 lumens; the cyan about half of that. To the eyes though, they are both about equally bright. The actual die in the r/o is bigger, so it doesn't focus as tightly as the cyan, but still a nice beam.

Through my pocket spectroscope, the cyan shows a much broader spectrum than the r/o, from red all the way into UV. The r/o probably goes into the IR end, but not enough to screw with my camera's sensor too much. The r/o has a very narrow spectrum by comparison. To get to the point, there is pretty good color rendition with the cyan, plus a little flourescence going on. The pics below show some arrows lit by my Surefire L2 and both Alephs.

arrowsl26hi.jpg

arrowscyan5xv.jpg

arrowsredorange9aq.jpg

Sorry for the poor focus, but you get the idea. The cyan is actually greener than that, but I have trouble capturing colored light with my camera. All lights were on their high settings and used the same exposure in manual mode. Bear in mind that the Alephs are spots while the L2 is a flood.

Next I went for distance shots. I aimed at the chicken house about 80 yards away. The L2 picture is for real -- if you crank the brightness you can make out the building. Not much of a thrower compared to the Alephs (or anything else for that matter.) All are the same exposure settings in manual mode.

chickensl20mu.jpg

chickenscyan9ga.jpg

chickensredorange1xl.jpg

The colors are a little closer with the chicken house, but you still have to keep in mind that the camera does not have human eyes. Notice the differences in "response" on the roof and foreground grass between r/o and cyan.

The cyan is a really neat color. Before the moon came up tonight I could see features in my field over 300 yards away. Using binoculars I could see grass and branches at that distance. The only real drawback is that there is a lot of backscatter from haze that visibly detracts from maximum contrast. The r/o does not have the backscatter problem to any appreciable extent. But then it is generally more difficult to see by for reasons that I can't quite put my finger on.

I tested the r/o in smoke the other night, but results were not clear-cut. There is obviously less scattering, but actual resolution through smoke -- compared to a stock MagLite 4-D -- was only marginally better. It is difficult to compare two lights that are so fundamentally different.

So there you go -- a grown man having entirely too much fun with colored lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott

PS: Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Scott,
Thanks for taking the time to photograph and write about this "colored" investigation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I am curious about your "pocket spectroscope" ?!?!?!?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I am curious about your 'pocket spectroscope' ?!?!?!?"

I had a curiosity about what kind of spectra various LEDs thow out -- how far into the red or blue a "yellow" LED might go, etc.

In undergrad I used a small device that looked like a microscope mounted sideways. You looked through a prism or diffraction grating or I-forget-what at the light source that separated the emitted light into its component colors. By measuring the angle between the grating plane and the spectral line, you could measure wavelength.

But there are small scopes, about the size of a chopped off finger in a bowl of chili, that have the diffraction grating mounted inside. You can't measure anything, but you can see the light split into its spectral lines or continuous spectrum. They can be found on eBay, which is where I got mine. Great for satisfying curiosity.

There are also spectroscopes which can be home-built. Here's a CPF thread on the topic: spectroscope info

Scott

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Cool! I was wondering if you got it built yet. Glad you like it!! Those pictures are cool. The cyan barn looks like an errie negative photo or something!

Hahha finger in bowl of chilli. I know the R/O has a TINY amount of yellow in it. I shined mine through a bottle of windex and you can barely see the yellow... I don't know about the IR. The CYAN, does have excellent contrast. You can make out red objects and a whole lot of other colors, even better if you are using it for a while... It does make things florece to an extent, the orange glue they use to glue the PCB of a luxeon star to the HS (not the emitter) glows BRIGHTLY under it. Pretty cool.

Did you know a GREEN luxeon will make orange stuff glow too? but not as good..

Let us know when you get to put the Cyan to it's intended use!