I think I killed my LS... Help!!!

MarshalMoroni

Newly Enlightened
Last Nov. I had developed some problems with my LS and a board memeber in FL was able to help and upgraded and modded my LS for me. I'm non-technical so doing myself is not a good option, but boy do I enjoy a good bright small light.

Any way, last weekend I was using my beloved Arc and dropped it flat on to some concrete, from only about 4', but now I get nothing. I have checked the clicky and it seems fine, so now what do I do.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Marshal Moroni

Ophiuchus

Newly Enlightened
Marshal, it may be as simple as the luxeon shearing off the pcb. In which case a solder repair may be required. Remove the clicky tailcap and leave battery in, still contacting pcb. Use a small piece of wire and carefully go from negative of battery to unanodized portion of light interior. If the light comes on, the clicky may be defective. If no light suspect lux or pcb trouble.

cy

Flashaholic
ARC LS's luxeon rests on optic, so a drop may crush emitter. More likely is side-force from a drop can shear legs off emitter.

Bad news is when voltage is applied to board without load. it will usually kill the 1618 chip.

I'm doing SMT repair work and can fix your board. Please PM for more info.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send it back again MarshalMoroni and I'll take a look at it for you. Most likely the the Luxeon got crushed in the fall. Hopefully it failed without going open circuit completely, as powering the board with no load will smoke the converter chip instantly. Take the battery out and don't try to turn it on anymore, maybe you got lucky and all that is needed is a new LED. Whatever it needs, I'll fix it for you for the cost of the parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter