CR123 Batteries Need LED Flashlight

Fooltergeist

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire A2 Aviator and I'm not happy with its longevity in incandescent mode. The batteries that came with the flashlight could not have lasted more than 20 minutes total run time based on intermittent use of no more than 30 seconds per use. But the batteries still retained enough juice to power the A2 in LED mode till kingdom come. So now I'm accumulating a bunch of half-depleted CR123 batteries - too weak to light up the xenon bulb in the A2 Aviator but strong enough to power the LEDs indefinitely. So what I'd like to do is find a real small LED flashlight that will take these half-depleted CR123s so that I can free the A2 Aviator for fresh strong batteries.

Can anyone suggest a small, perhaps 1-battery LED flashlight that takes a CR123? Something as small as an Infinity Ultra would be great.

Any other suggested uses for these half-depleted batteries would be appreciated. And what can I do about the surprisingly short incandescent battery life on the A2? That was my first set so maybe that was just a fluke.

Thanks!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

deranged_coder

Enlightened
If you are looking for an LED light that will suck the batteries dry, a popular choice is the Inova X5. It is a 2x123 light, though.

Odd that you only got ~20 mins. of runtime out of the A2 incan. I believe Surefire rates it at ~60 mins. and most of the feedback I have seen regarding runtimes for the A2 usually has it running to somewhere between 50 and 60 mins. before the incan drops out of regulation.

Paviduz

Newly Enlightened
I'd be cautious of running half depleted cells in pairs, largely because of this thread which mentions (roughly) a fire potentially caused by two mismatched (by manufacturer and more significantly voltage) 123s.

Assuming you want to stick with single cell lights then, I'd recommend either a Nuwai Q-III, or a surefire E1L. The Q-III
runs about an hour to 50%, while the E1L claims 4 hours runtime (probably total). Not sure which of those is more in line with your objectives, but the Q-III is a third the price of an E1L.

Haven't tested either light to see how completely they drain a cell.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
They won't drain the cell enough, Paviduz - any Luxeon-based LED won't do the job right, since the voltage and current requirements may be higher than that of a not-quite-discharged cell. In my experience, at least, this has been the case with several Luxeon flashlights - lights that won't light up with a half-dead Cr123 (40% of less).

I'd suggest a 'normal' LED which requires far less voltage; the Milky Candle that was made in limited numbers is one such light, that can suck a battery almost completely dry.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tectite splashlight LED (not Luxeon or bulb) will suck a 123 cell DRY, and you can get them pretty reasonably. If you're into color, I believe the X5 in red runs on a single cell, and it would last a while too..

greenLED

Flashaholic
The Inova X5 is another battery-drainer.

Maybe you gat half-depleted batteries for some reason (did you get a display unit?)

Glenn

Enlightened
An ARC 4+ will suck them to about 4.0 Flash Amps (I am guessing...about 80% used up) before starting to drop levels.

Glenn

attowatt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
They won't drain the cell enough, Paviduz - any Luxeon-based LED won't do the job right, since the voltage and current requirements may be higher than that of a not-quite-discharged cell. In my experience, at least, this has been the case with several Luxeon flashlights - lights that won't light up with a half-dead Cr123 (40% of less).

[/ QUOTE ]

So... what your saying is the Q-III wont drain my 1 cr123 battery dead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

How much juice is left in battery when Q-III shuts down ??

Also is the milky candle direct drive or regulated or what ?

Geologist

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
attowatt said:
[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:

[/ QUOTE ]

So... what your saying is the Q-III wont drain my 1 cr123 battery dead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

How much juice is left in battery when Q-III shuts down ??

Also is the milky candle direct drive or regulated or what ?

[/ QUOTE ]

With Luxeons, (I believe) it would depend partly on the foward voltage of the LED and the battery chemistry. When a battery falls below the required voltage then blammo darkness. However different batteries (for example SF vs. Batt Station) differ in how the voltage curve behaves of the lifespan of the cell.

watt4

Enlightened
1x123 sharper image light. I don't know how well it works with half-depleted batteries.

sharperimage0047yb.jpg

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
I will be ordering an Inova T1 which is a 1 CR123A battery. I'll let you know how it works.

I have an Inova X5 and that will drain the batteries till there is nothing left /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

attowatt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Geologist said:

With Luxeons, (I believe) it would depend partly on the foward voltage of the LED and the battery chemistry. When a battery falls below the required voltage then blammo darkness. However different batteries (for example SF vs. Batt Station) differ in how the voltage curve behaves of the lifespan of the cell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geologist,

I only use sf123a (which are cheap price for me) batt's as I am not comfortable with any other type.

Do you know how this factors into equation ?

Jim