Power outage in Boston

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been in Boston for 2 weeks of generally bad weather - peaking with Wednesday night's storm. Power in the hotel went out about 9 PM . They had emergency lights for hallways and stair wells but the rooms stayed dark until I left at o'dark hundred this morning to fly home.

I had 4 lights: 26K upgraded Dorcy 1AAA, 26K upgraded Dorcy 1AA, Green LED Infinity (non-ultra) task light, and Emilion's $5 stainless light with 26 K led. More than enough.

The 2 most useful were the Infinity task light because it was bright enough and I could just leave it on and the Dorcy 1AAA because I had plastic tubing over the tail and body so it was easy to hold in my teeth.

2 insights from last night: one - a waterproof light (Infinity task light) is useful because the light you have in the shower with you will get wet; and two, no number of lights will help you get your luggage down 14 flights of stairs when the elevators are out.

That was fun but I can wait a little while until the next power outage.

BTW, the weather in Boston in my last 3 visits (earliest snow ever in November, "Blizzard of 05" in January, and "we don't hardly see Nor'Easters this late.." this time) is horrible compared to So Cal...

CiTY

Enlightened
Hah, I was up in Boston this week, but left Tuesday... I guess I missed all the fun... Do you know how much of the Boston area the outage affected?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nerdingeer, this is one of the worst May's I've ever seen in the Boston area. Although May is not a summer month here, usually the temp is in the 60s and 70s and the sun shines a lot more then it has lately. It is raining now, it has rained almost constantly since Saturday afternoon.

Come back in July. Maybe you'll get treated to a 98 degree day with a dewpoint of 75.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
See, only flashaholics rejoice during a power failure!

I travel with a headlamp and find this most useful. Hotel rooms use these dim bulbs and they seem to think that most people watch TV and don't read, so reading lights by the bed are very dim. A headlamp is very handy. And during a power failure, it's da bomb!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
CiTY, I could see the pattern of the outage from my high up hotel room. It was maybe a mile square, about centered on the hotel. Someone said they thought lightning had hit a transformer.

It was blowing like a son of a gun, too. Sustained 40 mph winds with gusts past 50. Lots of rain and temperatures in the 40's. That might have done it too. Like I said, really not good weather.

I guess there's also a strike of utility workers on in the city so the crews were slow to repair damage.

I'll be going back in 2 weeks. We'll see what I get.